Classic (really old) computer strategy games

Empire Deluxe comes to my mind.

Boy you guys are old. When I was old enough to start playing games, I played RCT and Civ 2 right before 3 came out

30 isn't old dude. I was 7 when civ1 came out, most of these games are all 90s.

Im working on a Empire client for the iPad, and need players to test it out. There are already clients for Mac/PC/Linux, so if you are using one of those im still interested in working with you :)

i have a testing game set up, so just let me know and i will assign a country to you. This is a very deep game, so if you like Risk or other complex games you will probably like it. This game has been around for over 20 years but you dont hear much about it these days, not exactly sure why.

Our new portal is at http://empiredirectory.net and be sure and check out the documentation menu item... Let me know if you have any other questions!

Marisa

Moderator Action: Advertising is not allowed. - Methos
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Man I could do with another Advance war game.
Played it to death.

Have you played "Super Conflict" on the SNES? It's very similar to that game but less cartoonish, at least from the videos I've seen online.

Look up great big war game on steam. I didn't play advance wars but I think it's the exact same gameplay.

Neither seem to be what I am after. Given how many sequals Advance Wars there are including stupid decision to move away from turn based into real time game. Nothings really come out to scratch that tactical turn based war game niche.

Enhanced wars looked like a very poor imitation.
Big War game dosnt fit the mould either.

Were you looking for the story elements to Advance Wars? Super Conflict is basically all Cold War equipment without the comic book-style dialog between missions. However, the turn-based mechanics, producing units from factories, capturing and holding cities, using the terrain to your advantage, and so on.

I'm surprised Lemmings hasn't been mentioned yet.

This was my first strategy game. The frustration of failing a level is countered by the ability to nuke everyone.

This was also in the time period where games came in floppy discs instead of CD's.

It was great, yes, but i would not call it a "strategy" game, although it contains strategy. It mostly contains calculation and relations between possible outcomes. You have no actual "enemy", you only have a set destination and the need (often) to sacrifice a number of the lemmings to get there with the rest, or any number which allows you to move to the next stage :)

I don't see how big war game doesn't match advanced wars. Given I haven't played advanced wars, but it's turn based on a grid with different unit types, units do damage based on remaining hp, there's fog of war, indirect vs direct fire, counter attacks. Seems pretty darn close gameplay wise.

King of Dragon Pass is great, but you have to take in a lot of lore about the epic world of Glorantha to really appreciate it. The game provides a lot of the lore but you gotta sit down and read properly I think. The Guide to Glorantha is soon going to be available! I bought into that kickstarter, can't wait for my books.

I went from D&D to Runequest to all the Dragon Pass board games. Greg Stafford was an amazing designer.

I'm surprised Lemmings hasn't been mentioned yet.

This was my first strategy game. The frustration of failing a level is countered by the ability to nuke everyone.

This was also in the time period where games came in floppy discs instead of CD's.
Wonderful games!! I'd love to play them again.

^Back then Psygnosis was a very cool software company. Most of the first third of the 90s software companies were small but filled with amazingly talented people...

Delphine, the original form of BlueByte, Gremlin, and a couple of others.

Maybe the year of change for the worse was shortly after the stable internet, at 1998.

I went from D&D to Runequest to all the Dragon Pass board games. Greg Stafford was an amazing designer.

Wonderful games!! I'd love to play them again.

Lemmings can be played online, but you have to search around to find it and I don't think you can completely play all levels yet. One site only has the first 10 levels of each difficulty. Another has this weird way of playing where you can just draw anything on the screen - which makes it far less fun because it takes the challenge out of it.

I used to play a game called Empire on the Atari ST. It was a turn based strategy game, where you had cities, could designate them to build various units, and then use those units to conquer more cities. I remember this being a lot of fun and probably the first strategy game I ever played.

It was great, yes, but i would not call it a "strategy" game, although it contains strategy. It mostly contains calculation and relations between possible outcomes. You have no actual "enemy", you only have a set destination and the need (often) to sacrifice a number of the lemmings to get there with the rest, or any number which allows you to move to the next stage :)

Is a puzzle game that different from a strategy game?

Is a puzzle game that different from a strategy game?

I would guess that most seem to think it is, since strategy games (at least the ones computers mainly feature) are centered on opposing forces, and often warring factions too. Even the most peaceful strategy games feature war in some small degree (like the first Settler games, or Sierra's city building series).

I think the term (in regards to video games) is used in its original sense, which is "army leading", and not in the more general sense of forming a strategy about how to achieve a goal.

Wow that looks almost eerily similar to a civ1 map.

I loved the game but I didn't own an Atari ST at the time.. My only friend who did didn't like the game, mostly because I'd beat his arse at it. So I didn't get to play it that much :(

Maybe the similarity is why I fell in love with civ1 the moment I saw it.

Top Bottom