Mod Artillery to cause collateral damage to units?

CLARIFICATION: Cause collateral damage to units like bombers do: bombard only --NOT having to attack and sacrifice with them!

I thought it would be as simple as seeing how bombers are done in xml and changing the Catapult, Cannon, and Artillery to be able to do the same thing. I see they already make use of the same bombard functions. The only difference is an aero-specific function for the bombers. Well, that stinks. Looks like Firaxis hard-coded this.

Anyone know how to make it work for artillery units?

Thanks,

CK

Huh? They already do cause collateral damage.

Interesting Idea, basicaly cutting and pasting some of the AirCraft abilites into Siege weapons to give them a bombardment ability. I will have to look into this myself. I bet it could be used to give Navel units a Bombard ability as well. I suspect changes would need to be made to the "Siege Weapon" unit class itself to get access to Aircraft like abilites.

Impaler[WrG] said:
Interesting Idea, basicaly cutting and pasting some of the AirCraft abilites into Siege weapons to give them a bombardment ability. I will have to look into this myself.

Thanks. Hopefully, someone will be able to figure it out. :goodjob:

Overpowered. Why should a unit be able to devastate entire stacks with zero threat to itself. This is essentially how it worked in Civ3 and it is cheese. Civ combat is so highly abstracted that siege can't be realistically portrayed, so game mechanics compensate.

I think it might be possible if Artilery was given

<iAirRange>1<iAirRange/>

The game would treat this the same as an AirUnit I think, so artilery would need 100% Evashion to keep from literaly being shoot down by interceptors.

along with some of the other stats from air units, I will be looking into it. Units seem to have a lot of un-used elements in Civ4 and their is usualy a tag that will do what you want them to do.

Guys, search the forums. We&#180;ve had this discussion twice already. Firaxis unfortunately had a much better artillery system in Civ3 than in Civ4. We have tried all the XML suggestions, but since artillery is a "domain-land" unit and bombers are a "domain-air" unit they cant be given bombard. Believe me, I&#180;ve tried all kinds of tricks. Just read the post on it. There s even a poll somewhere, go fill it in and perhaps Firaxis will fix it in a patch...(yeah right ;) )

Clifford seems to be right, I could only make a catapult bombard by making it a Domain Air unit but this makes it hover off the ground, fly over its target as it bombards and makes it incapable of normal ground movment (adsactly like all other aircraft).

The only possible solution would be to create a new Domain and mix atributes of Domain Land and Domain Air. I dont know ware Domain info is keept (presumably it specifies all the movment, buttons and interactions of Domains). It might be hard coded but it its all in the XML then creating a new Domain by cutting and pasting should be a breeze. Anybody know ware it can be found?

The only thing that is even remotely interesting that I have found out is that you can actually skip the "domain"-tag entirely. That gives the unit a move of 1 and ignores terrain entirely. (Yes, this can be used to make choppers cross air, but not very nicely) It does not give bombard or anything else...

Top Bottom