The Yankee

The New Yawker
Retired Moderator
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11594274/

Lost civilization unearthed in Indonesia
Settlement buried by ash, Pompeii-style, in volcanic eruption of 1815

By Ray Henry

Updated: 8:01 p.m. ET Feb. 27, 2006
NARRAGANSETT, R.I. - Scientists have found what they believe are traces of the lost Indonesian civilization of Tambora, which was wiped out in 1815 by the biggest volcanic eruption in recorded history.

Mount Tambora’s cataclysmic eruption on April 10, 1815, buried the inhabitants of Sumbawa Island under searing ash, gas and rock and is blamed for an estimated 88,000 deaths. The eruption was at least four times more powerful than Mount Krakatoa’s in 1883.

Guided by ground-penetrating radar, U.S. and Indonesian researchers recently dug in a gully where locals had found ceramics and bones. They unearthed the remains of a thatch house, pottery, bronze and the carbonized bones of two people, all in a layer of sediment dating to the eruption.

University of Rhode Island volcanologist Haraldur Sigurdsson, the leader of the expedition, estimated that 10,000 people lived in the town when the volcano erupted in a blast that dwarfed the one that buried the Roman town of Pompeii.

The eruption shot 400 million tons of sulfuric gases into the atmosphere, causing global cooling and creating what historians call “The Year Without a Summer.” Farms in Maine suffered crop-killing frosts in June, July and August. In France and Germany, grape and corn crops died, or the harvests were delayed.

Two centuries of mystery
The civilization on Sumbawa Island has intrigued researchers ever since Dutch and British explorers visited in the early 1800s and were surprised to hear a language that did not sound like any other spoken in Indonesia, Sigurdsson said. Some scholars believe the language more closely resembled those spoken in Indochina. But not long after Westerners first encountered Tambora, the society was destroyed.

“The explosion wiped out the language. That’s how big it was,” Sigurdsson said. “But we’re trying to get these people to speak again, by digging.”

Some of what the researchers found may suggest Tambora’s inhabitants came from Indochina or had commercial ties with the region, Sigurdsson said. For example, ceramic pottery uncovered during the dig resembles that common to Vietnam.

Origins are unclear
John Miksic, an archaeologist at the National University of Singapore, has seen video of the dig and said he believes Sigurdsson’s team did find a dwelling destroyed by the eruption. But he doubts the Tamborans were from Indochina or spoke a language from that area. If Vietnamese-style ceramics reached the island, it was probably through trade with intermediaries, Miksic said.

During the dig, Sigurdsson’s team found the charred skeleton of a woman who was most likely in her kitchen. A metal machete and a melted glass bottle lay nearby. The remains of another person were found just outside what was probably the front door.

The team included researchers from the University of North Carolina and the Indonesian Directorate of Volcanology.

An interesting find, nonetheless, even if the results do not live up to the hype. Thoughts? Background?

What an incredible discovery! I hope some day when that meteor finally comes (it's only a matter of time!) our civilization will be preserved under ash for the aliens to find ;)

As for the indonesia/indochina debate, it seems more likely that Tamborans were probably indonesians that simply had lots of contact with the vietnamese, but (IMHO) that doesn't make them any less unique of a civilization. Keep us updated if you find anything else, yank...

4× bigger then Karakatoa! Jees. Interesting how big of an effect these vulcanos can have, they virtually change global climate for a couple of years. Tambora eruption caused abnormal temperatures and crop failures, 1816 was known as year without summer. Just imagine how much damage can a vulcano do to an island. Story kind of reminds me on Santorini and its effects on early Greek civilizations.

Kosez said:
4× bigger then Karakatoa! Jees. Interesting how big of an effect these vulcanos can have, they virtually change global climate for a couple of years. Tambora eruption caused abnormal temperatures and crop failures, 1816 was known as year without summer. Just imagine how much damage can a vulcano do to an island. Story kind of reminds me on Santorini and its effects on early Greek civilizations.

If you find that so astonishing, I'd like to recommend you a book called "Catastrophe" by David Keys. The Journalist-author therein describes his idea of the "origins of the modern world" due to a volcano eruption in these same indonesian straits which resulted in a year without summer and temporary geographic chances which helped according to him the Turks, Avars and Arabs to become mighty powers, etc. etc.

Quite interesting book, there is also a thread on it buried somewhere in this forum.

mitsho

Kosez said:

didnt krakatoa literally blow the island apart leaving nothing left? i could have swore thats what happened...

i watched some show about a volcano that blew an island apart and it slowly rebuilt the island...i swear it was karakatoa.

ThePrankMonkey said:
didnt krakatoa literally blow the island apart leaving nothing left? i could have swore thats what happened...

i watched some show about a volcano that blew an island apart and it slowly rebuilt the island...i swear it was karakatoa.

It probably was. There wasn't much left of the original island after the initial explosion. It's a classic test case for island biogeography, because all life on the island was wiped out by the explosion, so biologists got to observe how islands get repopulated.

I wonder how it compared to the explosion at Thera (present-day Santorini or allegedly Atlantis). Seeing as the Thera explosion is measured larger than the Pompeii and the Krakatoa explosions.

Oh I found the resource. Thera is still the largest explosion.

http://www.archaeometry.gr/oldv/symposium2003/pages_en/abstracts/papers/environ/envir6.htm

A good read on reactions to such historic Catastrophes.
From Plato's Timaeus - "But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods and in a single day and night of misfortune the island of Atlantis disappeared in the depth of the sea. For which reason the sea in those parts is impassable because there is a shoal of mud in the way."

The Egyptians described the eruption - "For 9 days there was no exit from the palace and no one could see the face of his fellow. It is inconceivable what has happened in the land - to its whole extent confusion and terrible noise of tumult. Oh that the Earth would cease from noise. The towns are destroyed. Upper Egypt suffered devastation. Blood everywhere. Pestilence throughout the whole country. Men no longer sail to Byblos. What shall we do for cedar for our mummies and for the oils with which the chiefs are embalmed as far as the country of the Cretans? They come no more. The sun is covered and does not shine to the sight of men. Life is no longer possible when the sun is concealed behind the clouds. Ra has turned his face from mankind. If only it would shine, even for one hour! No one knows when it is midday; One's shadow is not discernible. The sun in the heavens resembles the moon."

i actually watched the show again last night. they said around 416 the volcano literally blew itself apart while the 1883 eruption only destroyed part of the island...there were three "vents" and two were blown away.

there is now another volcano they call son of krakatoa, something krakatau.

they're thinking it will do what it did before, EXPLODE and wreak havoc in the area again.

now the 1883 eruption/explosion lead to world wide consequences, it cooled the planet down some, the skies turned blood red and they have numerous accounts all over the planet of what people witnessed in their part of the world as a result of this volcano. they also have sketches from some artist that drew the sunset, over 500 sketches total and they show amazing yellows and reds.

hard to imagine even now that one volcano did this. hard to believe its very possible it could happen again.

Top Bottom