WARLORDS - Japan to powerful?

SmartLittleman

Chieftain
As i was looking at all the new traits for the old leaders i saw Tokugawa's trait as Protective and Aggresive. This is huge for an unstopple army. If Japan has barracks,stables,walls, vassalage, and theorcry there units would have so many promotions. They all ready get 10% strenghth for melee and gunpowder units and City Defence 1 and Drill1 for archery and gunpowder units plus all the other xp for barracks and so forth.
There gunpowder units could easily be made to a superb defender or an awsome attacker without moving one space. Of course they would need the resources for a good army. All i want to know is that if u agree or disagree or u have a better pair of traits that works well?

well... bulding an elite army sure doesn'T beat being financial and be able to pay for a large army ;)... look like more subtle new warlord fun :cool:

i agree with SmartLittleman, i played with Japan yesterday and Tokugava is amazing war machine, with few Warlords and War academies (or how they call) he becomes absolutely unstoptapble. Anybody couldn't think to attack him, because in few turns, he can build huge defence army (Longbows with 3x city garrison + 3 other promotions) and then during few turns he will build offensive army, which is unstoptable with their promotions.

Man, are you barmy?
A war monger he may be, but I'll be damned if I see a war monger without a religious center best me. Religion is my fortee. As Sid says "you can win a war by attrition." Hell, just keep researching techs, while he is dealing with unhappiness, and send more advanced troops faster due to greater production. (less resistance).

I dont agree :), unhappines is easily overcome with hereditary rule, with this civic i can have citis on level 10-13 when with standard (resource + temple) game you may have 7-9. And that's the difference, you will build city buildings i will build huge military, economic power is the same because a will work more map tiles than you, but i will have MANY more units than you :)

depends on the difficulty you play. If you get too many Units (which costs money) too much WW (you need even more Units for Hereditary) and too many cities you will run you economy down and soon be backwards. Besides Aarvaead can use Hereditary too so has the same city-size but much better economy

If Japan has barracks,stables,walls, vassalage, and theorcry there units would have so many promotions.

If you let him get to that point it's your own fault.

If he got to that point best thing to do would simply to be get on his good side and eventually let him do all the fighting for you

To: rowain

Yes, difficulty is important, but higher difficulty means bigger claim on your military (if we are talking about singleplayer, in MP a player without army is dead player). And why doesn't put together benefits from army through Hereditary rule to get better protection of your civ to have more happiness and to have opportunity to attack weaker neighbour. And that's reason why builder strategy isn't so effective on higher levels, cause you havn't any army to protect yourself.

But maybe this is about game style you prefer. I usually play as warmonger but not because i like it more but because it is necessary on monarch or emperor.

About time Toku becomes a huge player. Everytime I've played vanilla, he seems to get beat down and that's without me in his face yet.

im a major noob to this game and im not sure how these traits affect the game however i normally am the superpower in all categories in the games i play. :D

If Tokugawa is actually good at warfare with Agg/Pro, then more power to him. I mean, look at his traits, warfare is all he can do special now, so he better be damn good now.

Besides, if Tokugawa earns such a war-mongering reputation, he'll be the favorite target to pick on in MP games.

sirtommygunn said:
im a major noob to this game and im not sure how these traits affect the game however i normally am the superpower in all categories in the games i play. :D

Try going to a higher difficulty then, I bet you can't beat CivIV on the highest difficulty ;)

Bah Amazing War machine? I'm in the middle of a game about to goto war with him, he's no war machine. He's never been in war. He's unwilling to trade, anything except gold per turn.. Which works out nicely for me as I surely Drain his economy down to nothing.. Roosevelt is the War Machine, he's making 425 gold per a turn, with 5 Vassals only 1 was peaceful. He has 70% Science, 10% culture, He strips 50 gold per turn from his two largest vassals and 10 godl from his smaller, and they still produce gold per turn, with average time on techs..

Yes, If anything, these Changes made me a War Machine lol... My Next target is Japan, seeing as how I already have 15 infantry units preparing, and currently building my fleet of 10 transports filled with infantry, and my Great General, As soon as my ship lands on my coastal city o nthe japanese continent, I will use the GG to give eahc one the 20 xp points. That will be 55 Super soliders, and 10 highpowered transports. his coastal cities have archers and long bowmen, he has 2 carvels and no astronomy... He's stuck..

sirtommygunn said:
Aggressive trait is an offensive military trait. It grants Combat I promotion to all Melee and Gunpowder units for free, and halves the cost of Barracks. Many leaders with this trait (especially Alexander & Ghengis Khan) are notorious warmongers when AI controlled.

Protective, added in Warlords, is the inverse: It provides defensive qualities. Wall & Castle production is halved, and Archery & Gunpowder units gain Drill I & City Defense I for free.

So basically this means Tokugawa has both good offensive & defensive capabilities. It's quite apparent with gunpowder units, which automatically begin with those three promotions for free.

meatwad4289 said:
Bah Amazing War machine? I'm in the middle of a game about to goto war with him, he's no war machine. He's never been in war. He's unwilling to trade, anything except gold per turn.. Which works out nicely for me as I surely Drain his economy down to nothing.. Roosevelt is the War Machine, he's making 425 gold per a turn, with 5 Vassals only 1 was peaceful. He has 70% Science, 10% culture, He strips 50 gold per turn from his two largest vassals and 10 godl from his smaller, and they still produce gold per turn, with average time on techs..

Yes, If anything, these Changes made me a War Machine lol... My Next target is Japan, seeing as how I already have 15 infantry units preparing, and currently building my fleet of 10 transports filled with infantry, and my Great General, As soon as my ship lands on my coastal city o nthe japanese continent, I will use the GG to give eahc one the 20 xp points. That will be 55 Super soliders, and 10 highpowered transports. his coastal cities have archers and long bowmen, he has 2 carvels and no astronomy... He's stuck..
I'm not talking about playing against Tokugava but playing with him :crazyeye:

SmartLittleman said:
As i was looking at all the new traits for the old leaders i saw Tokugawa's trait as Protective and Aggresive. This is huge for an unstopple army. If Japan has barracks,stables,walls, vassalage, and theorcry there units would have so many promotions. They all ready get 10% strenghth for melee and gunpowder units and City Defence 1 and Drill1 for archery and gunpowder units plus all the other xp for barracks and so forth.

Well, their cavalry and artillery won't be better then of anyone else. But Gunpowder units are pretty decent.

meatwad4289 said:
continent, I will use the GG to give eahc one the 20 xp points. That will be 55 Super soliders, and 10 highpowered transports.

Hate to burst your bubble, but REALITY CHECK, GG don't give 20 XP to each inidivual unit in the stack! that would be way overpowered... GG give 20 XP DIVIDED throughout the stack. So if you had ten units, they would each get plus 2 XP, if you have 55 units, 20 would get 1 XP, the rest would get none... You are better off using GG building acadamy or advisor.

Top Bottom