MAP: AD&D Forgotten Realms world map (Huge)

Do you like this AD&D map, adapted for use in Civ3?

• Yes!

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Don't know yet...

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No!

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Grave

1 Goat = 400 Horses
This is my first attempt at a map, so here you go...

For those of you who are Forgotten Realms, Baldur's Gate, or Icewind Dale fans...

I tried re-creating the world map to the AD&D Forgotten Realms campaign setting. Although some of the scale did not turn out as well as I expected, this still is a pretty accurate map.

It's set to a custom Huge Map size of 220x220, and it allows for 16 civs to play.

Attachments

• map of toril.zip
    39 KB · Views: 7,567
I downloaded it. Will check it out soon.

Looks good. I haven't seen enough maps of all of Toril mostly of Faerun. Maybe you should just make a Faerun map and exclude the other continents including Kara-Tur.

Here's a mini-map.

From my quick glance you could be Calisham have deserts since thats what it was. Add some more hills on the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate area. Make forests a bit more seperated.

Thanks man, glad you like it...

Have you ever heard of the Forgotten Realms Atlas made by Wizard? That's where I got the info from on making this map. Yeah, you're right, Calisham should have more desert, it's just I ran into some scaling problems and the desert turned out shorter then expected. Now that I look at it, I guess Kara Tur should be a little "fatter".

BTW, how'd you get that mini-map? I tried getting a civ3 screenshot so I could post it the map image along with my original post, but I couldn't figure it out. :p

If alot of people like this map, I'll start from scratch and re-make the Toril map to make it a little more detailed and up-to-scale. I'd probably start by making the map more rectangular instead of square. Or I could try making a map of Krynn or something...

GE

What version of windows do you have?

I have Win 98, which doesn't allow MS Paint to save as jpgs. I downloaded a freeware called Wisdomsoft Screen-hunter. Its simple, you choose the file where you want the pic to go, choose the hotkey, put the 5 second delay on, choose what you want a pic off(I used rectangle because I wanted the mini-map), and press the hot key. Then you have it lying somewhere on your PC and upload it to Civfanatics.

If you Win XP I think you can save as JPG with MS Paint. Then all you have to is hit the "Print Screen" button next to F12. And then paste in MS Paint, edit it, and save as a JPG.

You'll get how to use the freeware once you get it. I found it by typing it in CNET downloads but I assume the url of the site is something like wisdomsoft.com .

I've heard of the atlas. It looked nice with all the PC stuff you can do with it. I don't have or have really seen any of it, except a few screenshots. I've seen some maps on websites and stuff.

This website has some good maps. Mostly of Faerun. http://sunsetvale.dfxwebs.com/places01.htm

I tried making a map of Krynn but its hard without a zoom out.

I played a rather pacifistic game with a militaristic nation on this map, but it was still an enjoyable game. However, the map looked true to the world it is based on in some areas, and in other areas I simply can´t recognize the areas, even with my Forgotten Realms map in front of me. Unless parts of the world has changed substantially in recent products I´d say it could have been more true to the original. Also, attaching a "readme.txt" is a rather bad idea. You should have given it a name that identified it with the map.
If the txt-file had been named better, I´d have given a rating of four, but this detail just brings my rating down to 3.

What difference does it make as to what the .txt file is named???

I don't think that little petty detail should lower your opinion of the map.

And, seems kinda odd that you'd dig up a thread that's been dead for almost 10 months!

The map looks good though, I'm a big Baldur's Gate fan.

It was the deciding factor in whether it should be 3 (but close to 4) or 4 (but close to 3). When it is a factor, it´s because it makes a huge difference for people who actually *read* attached txt-files, few as we may be. Locating the txt-file is much easier when it´s next to the map, than when they are in two different places in the directory - particularly if you have lots of maps lying in the directory, as I often have. When you d-load several maps, and they have these "standard names" txt-files attached, you could easily have to rename a file to be able to extract the next readme.txt into the directory. Besides, when you can spend hours creating a unique and interesting map, then you should also spend the seconds it takes to name the txt-file in an intelligent way. That´s my opinion.
How old the thread is, well that´s irrelevant to me. The map is still here, and it still deserves a rating and a couple of thoughts. If it makes me "odd" that I feel that way, then I don´t mind. :)

Nope!

Ok, getting nit-picky about where the readme.txt is in relation to the .bic/.bix file is REALLY getting picky! Its not hard to scan for a .txt file, especially for a map! In this case, all it has is a .bic and a .txt file. I don't see the hardship in the readme.txt not being named toril.txt or whatever.

As for multiple maps in the directory, it would take you two seconds to rename the file yourself.

As for the inconvienence of having more than one readme.txt in your scenarios directory...most people put their creations in a unique folder to prevent that problem (like I've done with my ACW scenario).

C'mon, Procifica, it's not worth getting uptight about. ;)

FWIW, in Thunderfall's Note to mapmakers stickied at the top of this forum, it says
*** The attached (txt/doc) file should have a unique name, preferably resembling the name of your map. So if your map is called "Sweden versus Denmark", you could name it say "sweVSden", rather than just calling the file readme.txt/readme.doc.
That was an edit to the post made about 15 months ago. :) I will admit you have a point about saving things to different directories, though.

In any case, if you think he rated it too low, you can always rate it yourself. His is the only rating so far.

"Ok, getting nit-picky about where the readme.txt is in relation to the .bic/.bix file is REALLY getting picky! Its not hard to scan for a .txt file, especially for a map! In this case, all it has is a .bic and a .txt file. I don't see the hardship in the readme.txt not being named toril.txt or whatever."

Why is it so hard to accept that it makes a difference for me (and probably also at least some others)? It can be hard to find a particular txt-file when you have 30 maps in the dir, and half of them have txt-files that are poorly named, so the txt-file for X.bic lies next to A.bic, the txt-file for G.bic next to X.bix, etc. That´s a bit annoying in my opinion. Besides, when a txt-file is named readme.txt, it distances itself from the map in a mental sense as well. It is as if it isn´t part of the whole. It´s not something of extreme importance, and it´s not something that can cause a map to earn a rating of 1 instead of a 5, but it has a small influence on my rating. You could also look at it the other way around: I REWARD those mapmakers that bother naming their txt-file to make them part of the whole, instead of just using a standard name.

"As for multiple maps in the directory, it would take you two seconds to rename the file yourself. "

It´s not my map, so it´s not my job. But of course I have to do that, to include more maps in the directory. Besides, as another user stated, the rules say that you should give a unique name to your txt-file.

"As for the inconvienence of having more than one readme.txt in your scenarios directory...most people put their creations in a unique folder to prevent that problem (like I've done with my ACW scenario)."

I suppose it is possible to do things that way. I just like having one plain directory for maps that I intend to play in the future, and one for those I have completed. :)

The other poster was Padma, a moderator of this forum. :)

Padma, I forgot about that post of Thunderfall's, but since its so old, I don't think many pay attention to it anymore.

And this map, it was posted so long ago, its doubtful that the original poster is still here to fix the problem.

I'll give this map the 4 rating it deserves...its not quite a 5. :)

Hmmm, I have the campaign book and someone else did a map, but I will definitely look at this one.

When the individual who bumps it is the person who made it, I have no complaints whatsoever. And a good map is a good map.

Top Bottom