Increasing difficulty?

Psycho_Ivan

Warlord
I got a match with increasing difficulty go all the way from Noble to Deity. Am I missing something here? This was fixed with the A patch, right?

It's supposed to go up to deity, the fix was to prevent it from going past deity...

Oh, I thought it only went up by a single difficulty level as it went up. This'll be a challenge to beat, I suppose.

You mean it jumped straight from Noble to Deity? That doesn't seem right.

You could try Flexible Difficulty instead. It too would go up to Deity if you stay in the top 3rd of the scoreboard, but it will go back down when you are in the bottom third.

Just tried an increasing difficulty game, with final 5 on, starting at emperor... got fairly hosed as nearly all the AIs died to barbs, the AC shot up really quickly, and then blight happened insanely early, taking my size 15 cities (which had no unhealth before blight) down to size 1. And the AI now at deity seemed to weather the blight fairly unscathed; the combination of health bonuses (I suspect) and sprawling rather than concentrated growth.

I hate how blight hurts large cities worse than small ones; a city that is size 7 or so is fine and doesn't even lose pop, but a larger city shrinks all the way down to pop 1. I wish all cities just got the same increase in unhealth; this would still make larger cities suffer more because they have higher unhealth to start with because of more pop, but it wouldn't make large cities shrink to a smaller size than small cities.

Really hurts civs like Khazad (who I was playing) who need small numbers of large cities because of the Dwarven Vault.

Blight at AC 30 is pretty damn annoying too.

I like the blight hitting early as it makes the game more interesting imho, but I agree that the effect should be more balanced between small and huge cities ;)

Yeah and Blight is not a random plague that hurts dense populations (huge cities) the worst. But rather an early sign of the Armageddon. Considering flavor, it should hurt everybody.

OOPS, I should've said Flexible difficulty. :blush:

Anyways, thanks for all the details on the two modes.

Top Bottom