How long will you be around?

How long will you still be playing Civ 4?

• less than 3 months

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • 3 to 6 months

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 6 to 12 months

Votes: 60 23.4%
  • 1 to 2 years

Votes: 54 21.1%
  • 2 to 5 years

Votes: 36 14.1%
  • more than 5 years

Votes: 54 21.1%

• Total voters
Probably until about 6 months after Civ 5 comes out - so until March next year, I guess. I never buy new release games. I wait until (a) several patches have come out and fixed the major issues with the game*, and (b) the price point has dropped.

* no matter how good your beta team is, they can't replicate the issue-finding power of tens of thousands of players, particularly with a game as rich and layered as Civ

I'm buying Civ V for sure, but if I don't prefer it I'm fine with sticking to the old version. I've already done that with AOE 2 (3 was way too rush centered) and HOMM 3.

I start playing CIV I and enjoyed when CIV II came to replace CIV I, many years ago, it was a nice game. But I was upset about CIV III and I stoped playing CIV for a long time. I don´t have much time to play, only on weekends and holidays, and now I´m getting used to CIV IV and I like it. So, I´ll be playing CIV IV for one year or two, at least.

Civ 3 never held my interest either. Tried it once, won (no clue what level) and then shelved it. Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri were the ones that really grabbed me.

Totally depends on 5. For example, imo civ3 sucked and I would play civ2 over it any day of the week. But civ4 kicked total butt so hopefully 5 is similar.

over 5 years. I think ill prefer civ 4 over 5, although after all the expansions and updates, maybe civ 5 will be better. still, ill probably play civ 4 every now and then. i still play civ 3 every couple of months.

I would imagine that I'll probably jump ship to Civ V straight away, because:

1) When new, flashier sequels come out, nobody can resist playing them like crazy at first even if they are inferior as games, simply because of the appeal of novelty and new graphics and sound.
2) It takes a while in most cases to fully figure out if a sequel is in fact better or worse than its predecessor. Games like civ are deep and take a long time to adequately explore and evaluate.
3) I'm a civ newb and I'll never understand civ 4 like the players who have been at it for years do. Civ V is a clean slate and puts everybody back to newb level (although there will probably be a lot of things that carry over). I might as well start putting time into learning the new game rather than trying to get into the finer points of an old game at which I will never be an expert.

Of course, there are caveats such as: civ V may suck, my computer might not run it, etc.

I'll play Civ V when it comes out. But I'll probably still play IV too, since it will probably be a while for V to be suitable for competition.
Sad truth is that it is at least going to take a while, and several patches/mods before V will become a good enough game to replace IV.

Until I win a Culture Victory. Then I'll start a new game.

Game mechanics are such a huge factor in Sid Meier games... but the Civ franchise has always maintained a pattern of making major changes to the game that add to the depth and fun in playing them. Culture, religion, troop experience, special resources, Espionage (could use work imo), and round-based statistical combat are some of the major changes they made in 3/4 and I think they were all for the good.

I really like the fact that they are moving away from SoD... it got a little out of scope in civ 4 when 100 modern units would sit outside a city on a single hill. Logistics and terrain having a bearing (coupled with the new hex-tiles) on military tactics is a great move forward. Seige mechanics are much more sensible too. You shouldn't have to wheel a howitzer up to shortbow range of a citadel to hit the damn thing afterall...

I see myself fully switching to Civ 5 after release, I have a few concerns / anticipations though:

Anticipating:
New Combat logistics/terrain features
Hex tiles
Seige warfare
More granularity in AI
Better graphics of course!
New UI features?

Concerned about:
City-States being more of an annoyance than an interesting game feature
Them screwing up combat and making it more Guerrilla warfare-ish, with no stack-attacks and 2-tile moves.
Religion was a good metagame, why was it removed?

Probably Civ 5 won't be a mature game before the first or even the second expansion.

Will try Civ 5 as soon as it comes out but won't drop Civ 4 that early.

Yeah, this. Plus with all the various mods that exist for Civ4 I expect I'll be at least dipping back into it on occasion for many, many years to come.

I think now that its come out that, even if you buy a boxed version of the game in a brick and mortar store, you will still have to go through Steam DRM to even play the game, a minor but significant part of the Civ fan community will shun Civ V, and a lot of us will probably continue to play Civ IV for a long time to come.

Given that I still play SMAC and Civ III from time to time, i'm pretty sure that I'll still play Civ IV from time to time in 5 years from now :p

What I'm pretty sure is that I'll will not probably rush to the store to buy Civ V ... the memory leaks or vanilla Civ IV 1.00 are still burned in my memory :cry:

i still play civ2 and civ3 once in a while, so i'll be playing civ4 even if i have civ5.

I'll likely to be playing Civ 4 during the first years of uni, then when i get a decent laptop i will get Civ 5.

I think 2-5 years prob. Since I still play civ3 I think I may even play for longer :)
As has been said before there is usually a few glitches that need to be sorted out when a game has been released. That and I will need to wait for it to come out in NZ :goodjob:

I remember civ 3 coming out, and being disappointed in it compared to Civ 2. I'm not convinced Civ 5 will be an improvement on 4 in terms of gameplay. I think Civ 4 is a real classic, and I think if there's still significant interest on this site I'll pop back to it from time to time, RL permitting.

From what I have read about the DRM scheme in the discussions forum, 5 already appears to be a disaster. So looks like I will probably be stuck with 4 until civ6, though I won't be holding my breath. :cringe:

Been struggling to find the motivation to play cIV this year, perhaps I'll get the buzz back some time in the future...

i will continue playing Civ4 until Civ5 comes out but if Civ5 is an big fail then i will go back playing Civ4

Newer isn't always better. SimCity 3000 > SimCity 4. Unmodded Morrowind > Unmodded Oblivion. Total War series.

Civ V has succumbed to the endless DLC and pre-order BS that plagues major titles today. I won't buy it until all the expansions and DLC's have been released (including pre-order content), it goes on sale for at least 33% off, and if it's actually a fun, rich, balanced game without too much suspension of belief (archers firing across lakes...).

So, I will be playing Civ IV for probably 5+ years, if only sporadically.

Top Bottom