Quick Questions and Answers

What's the benefit of trading strategic resources to get them if you do not build related units ? I guess nothing...

It's much more typical to sell your excess strategic resources for gold (45 gold/unit on normal speed with friendly civs that aren't about to backstab you). If you're not building units or buildings that require a specific resource, then having more of them (or any at all) does you no good. The only exception I've run across is denying my allies and neutrals access to uranium in the late game. I loathe nukes, even when it's two other civs nuking each other. Buying up all of the uranium in the world as soon as it becomes available is sometimes an attractive idea. I do hope the new expansion with its boosted UN brings back the Nuclear NPT from Civ 4.

Couple of questions regarding how much Iron the game thinks you're using and the English 'Ship of the Line'.
Weird things have happened over the last two games with both Iron and the SotL as England and America (Iron problems only for America) o' course.

I've noticed that with the last two games I've played (Civ V Vanilla), that if I'm receiving iron from an allied City-State then it doesn't add up with what my units are using.

Eg - In my current game (as America) the two little Icons showing Iron and Horses at the top left of the interface are registering correctly showing 0 Iron when I had 2 Trebuchets and now 2 Iron since upgrading to Cannons, yet the game keeps insisting that I am using more Iron than I have with the notification icons in the bottom right of the screen.

The game before this one, (as England) had me receiving 2 Iron when I had none at all, none from my land nor from any City State.
I happily took the free Iron though. :)

Also, before I had researched 'Combustion', the option to build a Ship of the Line went missing from the list of units available to build leaving the Caravel and Ironclad only. Luckily I had heaps of coal but still, the English Frigate/SotL is their special unit so it was pretty crap that I couldn't build one. I definitely had Iron by that stage so it wasn't a lack of resources and even if I had no Iron the unit should still be listed but not selectable/faded but it went missing altogether.

Has there been any updates via Steam lately?
It seems odd that the game would work well up until now but now suddenly start to exhibit bug-like behaviour.
(excluding the bugs that already exist and that I know of of course).

I will quite often miss strategic resources that appear under one of my cities. The resource icon bubbles do not show in that case. Other than that, I have occasionally seen incorrect calculations when the game state updates. Does the issue persist if you reload the game? Rival civs will often sneak in a strategic resource request as part of a deal renegotiation at zero value, and occasionally I've missed catching it, so that's another possibility.

If you are ever using all of a strategic resource and upgrade a unit that uses it to another unit that uses it, there will be a moment the game thinks you have -1 resource. This will give a floater notification in the lower right, but the number available should revert to 0 and the combat penalty will not be applied.

On SotL disappearing from your build list, I've never seen this. It doesn't obsolete until electronics, so should be available. What's more, caravels obsolete when you research Steam Power (which gives Ironclads). You should not ever be able to build both of those units. Are you sure you didn't mistake the Ship of the Line icon for caravels? As you say, even if you don't have the iron it should be listed but darkened and unselectable. The only thing I can think of is verifying your game files in Steam. It's not impossible something got corrupted in your installation during a recent update.

Does the AI ever use nukes in [civ5]? In my 3-5 hour sessions as a conqueror on the higher difficulty levels, never has the AI used a nuke on me... Why?

Does the AI ever use nukes in [civ5]? In my 3-5 hour sessions as a conqueror on the higher difficulty levels, never has the AI used a nuke on me... Why?

They most certainly do.

Can artillery gain the +1 range promotion (for a total of 4 range)?

Artillery can earn Range, though they probably don't need it.

All ranged units can earn Range except Longbows (they start with Range).

Do you see them building the Manhattan Project? Do they have Uranium in their lands? If you want to see the AI use nukes, try an Info Era start on a Huge map on Deity with every civ as Gandhi, no city states. Try adding a couple more Gandhis, too. Abundant resources for added !FUN!.

It's just on Deity (Immortal AI only gets Pottery, AI and Mining).

Don't know why the devs made that choice, but I would suspect it was to delay a bit longer the appearance of archers in Deity games. With the AI's unit building bonuses, it would be a bit discouraging to see AI archer rushes beginning on turn 10.

Yes they certainly do when they have the chance (which isn't always a given). They do not always first-strike, but if you have nuked them and they have the ability to make nukes, they will try and retaliate. The AI sucks though so they usually don't succeed.

How often do advisors change their advises ?

My military advisor seems to have skipped one level in explaining the power of another country.

Does it change periodically, if yes how many turns does it remain the same ?

If it changes when something actually changes, how can my military advisor skip one level ? Maybe the Carthaginians upgraded many units at once...

How often do advisors change their advises ?

My military advisor seems to have skipped one level in explaining the power of another country.

Does it change periodically, if yes how many turns does it remain the same ?

If it changes when something actually changes, how can my military advisor skip one level ? Maybe the Carthaginians upgraded many units at once...

Was it going up or going down? If it was going up, they probably had just unlocked a new tech (e.g. Civil Service, Construction, Steel) where there's a significant bonus to unit strength, and upgraded all of their units at once, making their Soldiers count jump dramatically. If it was going down, either you did that, or they lost a major battle.

I've just been wondering, does building structures like police stations actually make it harder for enemy spies to steal from you, or does it just slow the process?

I've just been wondering, does building structures like police stations actually make it harder for enemy spies to steal from you, or does it just slow the process?

My understanding is that it merely slows down the rate. "Police stations slow down the rate at which enemy spies can steal technology from the city"- that is from Civipedia.

The only way I am aware of to halt them is to kill them with a spy of your own. (As a strategy I usually am prepared to lose a few low level strategies and gain a few by having me first spy in an enemy city. The benefit lies not so much in gaining a few strategies at that stage as in getting the promotions and then bringing your spy back to the capital).

Thanks, Cicerosaurus.

Under what conditions can multiple Great People be spawned in the same turn, in Gods and Kings? Is it different in Vanilla? I was playing vanilla and tried to time two Scientists to the same turn, but only one popped.

Also, is there any rhyme or reason to what yield bonuses are added by the various normal tile improvements? Civilopedia doesn't help me determine that, say, Cattle, Sheep, and Horses all have different bonuses to their tile, and cause a pasture built on them to do something different in each case. I want to know what improved Citrus does.

Under what conditions can multiple Great People be spawned in the same turn, in Gods and Kings? Is it different in Vanilla? I was playing vanilla and tried to time two Scientists to the same turn, but only one popped.

Also, is there any rhyme or reason to what yield bonuses are added by the various normal tile improvements? Civilopedia doesn't help me determine that, say, Cattle, Sheep, and Horses all have different bonuses to their tile, and cause a pasture built on them to do something different in each case. I want to know what improved Citrus does.

Sorry, I don't know about the great people question. But with resources you can turn on the resource icon option and then whenever you hold the mouse over the icon of the resource I think it will tell you what it does.

I believe citrus is a luxury resource, and will provide 4 happiness when improved, unless you already have another source of it.

IIRC the popping thing only works in the same city i.e. spawning an Engineer and Scientist in the city on the same turn. Spawning two GSes in two different cities doesn't work.

It does list their tile bonus but I don't see anywhere it lists their improvement bonus, no, but I'm pretty sure all Plantations on Luxuries provide +1 gold.

Top Bottom