Guess the New Civs

Would have been fun to see Metternich as the Austrian leader. Having both Bismarck and Metternich in a game would have been great.

And focus on WWI units.

I would have liked to see someone like Poland in, but Austria's a reasonable choice too.

Well, I don't suspect they'll give them a WWI UU considering how poorly Austria performed in the war. But I could be wrong.

I think they overdo it with the female leaders. We have in this expansion alone Dido, Boudica, Theodora and Maria Theresia, this make 4 out of 9 civs have definitively female leaders. In Austrias case they at least picked a women who was actually very important, but Metternich or Franz Joseph could have been nice as well.

Austria is in. Just watched the live feed. More info on the next interview and we also get to watch the demo too (tomorrow or sunday). :)

They're not exactly experts on pronunciations of ancient names.

Maybe he mispronounced it?
The problem with the name Theodore is that there were no Byzantine emperors named Theodore, the only thing coming close are two Emperors of Nicaea. Maybe they decided to use a medieval Byzantine leader?

I would have liked to see someone like Poland in, but Austria's a reasonable choice too.

Don't get your hopes down. I'd not be surprised if the 9th Civ is European as well.

But now I'd guess we're going to get something from Ancient Middle-East.

Don't get your hopes down. I'd not be surprised if the 9th Civ is European as well.

But now I'd guess we're going to get something from Ancient Middle-East.

Haha, I should have said "if they're putting in another European Civ, I'd like to be . . . "

Ethiopia is good. I'd be interested in what their thoughts are for another Asian civ, too. I have been saying Tibet, but I undertand that that's a longshot.

The leader is Theodora. I'll trust written versions of the name over an off the cuff spoken version when the video quality wasn't clear.

The last civ will almost definitely be Asian. It could be Middle Eastern if they count the Huns as Asian, but I doubt it'll be anything west of Constaninople.

I'll modify it to: I doubt it will be both west of Constantinople and north of Gibraltar. I'll leave open the possibilities of Americas and Africa.

It might be fruitful to consider how the Civs fit the scenarios and guess if they want to do more like that:

Fall of Rome:
Byzantines
Celts
Huns

Medieval/Renaissance:
(Byzantines)
Netherlands
Austria

Smokey Skies:
(Netherlands)
(Austria)

None:
Carthage
Mayans
Ethiopia

So I could see one more for the Middle Ages, which would mean European. But I could also just see another non scenario civ.

Ethiopia could fit with both the fall of Rome and the Smokey Skies scenario. (If the maps extend that far south.)

Maybe the next expansion (if they will make another one) will have more Non-European civs.
Unless they put countries like Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary, Portugal, Romania, Finland...
Europe is pretty jam packed already.
Africa is barely filled out.
Asia has a decent amount (but needs another Southeast Asian country, Siam doesn't cover that area fully enough)
Oceania has one and a combined one at that
Americas have the civs considered to be the most "advanced" in the Americas, and the Iroquois

What kind of role will the Celts play in the Fall of Rome scenario?

Will they be renamed into something like the Franks?

Or will they represent Ireland, Scotland (Picts), Wales?

What kind of role will the Celts play in the Fall of Rome scenario?

Will they be renamed into something like the Franks?

Or will they represent Ireland, Scotland (Picts), Wales?

I have a strong feeling that it will be similiar to the Fall of Rome in Civ 3 Conquests.

Ethiopia fits the Medieval scenario - it fought with Muslim-ruled Egypt during the time of Crusades, and resisted as a bastion of Christianity into the Renaissance.

It fits a Medieval scenario. I don't know if it fits the "Into the Renaissance" medieval scenario that seems to build up to the Reformation and 30 Years War.

ETA: I suspect the Celts will represent the Picts in Scotland and the Scots in Ireland from the era. Then you'll have one or more Goths, the Vandals, the Huns, the Franks, and the Parthians in the east. Maybe a couple I'm missing. The problem is there were so many tribes that it's hard to choose which ones you want.

Top Bottom