Morocco UA - kinda weak, no?

werothegreat

Warlord
I like the idea behind Gateway to Africa, but it really ends up being not that good. It's most useful early in the game, when +1/2 Culture is actually significant, but that requires you getting the relevant trade route unlocking techs, and building Caravans/Cargo Ships. I don't know about the rest of you, but I tend to hold off on building those until later, because getting infrastructure into my cities and trying for Wonders are more important, I feel. Also some soldiers if you're near an aggressor. Then even if you do get those trade units, you now have to actually find someone near enough to you to send it, which is less likely in the early game (particularly since I like to play on Huge maps). For me, it really isn't until Renaissance/Industrial that I'm actually using all my Trade Route slots, or even have Trade units (barring Colossus/Petra). By that point, +3/4/5 Culture is rather meaningless, and a final +8 (maybe +10) Culture is not even noticeable when I'm making triple or quadruple digit Culture. Add to that the fact that Culture from the UA is not affected by multipliers like World's Fair gold medal, Golden Ages, or Sistine Chapel, and it's really just kind of disappointing.

To that end I suggest two modifications:

1) Allow this bonus culture be affected by global modifiers. This should be a no-brainer, and should have been included in the first place.

2) Change it to +1 Culture per era that has passed. So you start off with your one Caravan making +1 Culture, and then by the end of the game you're getting up to +80 Culture before modifiers. That would keep the UA useful throughout the game.

The UA is kind of weak... the mods you came up with can make it better.

The UA is better than you think. It isn't just about the 'insignificant' culture. Most likely the main reason why you don't realize its full potential is you're playing the AI, and the AI is notoriously bad about picking its trade routes so you're getting a lot fewer trades than you 'should'. With Morocco, there's a large chance you are the most attractive trading partner on the map. This acts as a deterrent to aggression since everybody will want to trade you rather than fight you, especially so long as you don't completely neglect your navy.

Its a lot of early gold where gold is most scarce. Each trade route is essential two trade routes and an amphitheater.

The 2+ gold for each trade route sent to Morroco is actually quite good early game because in turn players are encourged to trade with you more than other civilizations. This will give you gold from the trade route and possible science. Which is great for Emperor or above since Science becomes a big problem at the start.

The 3+ gold and 1+ culture isn't that helpful. Maybe the 3+ to increase your coffers or to buy units/upgrades. The 1+ culture is almost useless but it gives a minor benefit.

That being said Morroco UA is designed to be focused on trade and making sure that other civilizations trade with Morocco to get the maximum number of gold/science possible. It won't be good against people in MultiPlayer that know of Morocco ability because they'll be smart and try to trade with someone else.

It won't be good against people in MultiPlayer that know of Morocco ability because they'll be smart and try to trade with someone else.

What? Everyone wants Morocco on their team in multiplayer.

I chose Marroco for my first Emperor game in BNW. The extra gold and culture from trade routes are good until the medieval era.

But the finest aspect of its UA is that the ai will almost always prefer sending trade routes to Marroco instead of other civs. This means lots of gold and friends.

And more friends means more diplomatic trades. I don't know about you, but very often I have luxury surplus and can't trade them for lack of friends or because no one offers me a decent deal. My best diplo action ever was with Marooco.

Morocco UA can be quite good, but its largely a passive one that works without you noticing so if your not paying attention can easily underestimate the benefit.

Morocco UA can be quite good, but its largely a passive one that works without you noticing so if your not paying attention can easily underestimate the benefit.

Wow. If you put it that way...

Top Bottom