Events Exploit

Lord Parkin

aka emperor
There is a discussion going on about an exploit with events here. Basically, if an event pops up and you quit the game (pull the internet plug, Ctrl-Alt-Del, close window, etc), then the event will not reappear when someone else logs into the game again. In this way, it is possible to "ignore" events you don't like in a Pitboss game like this (where multiple people are logging in for each civ).

Several solutions have been proposed, and the one I think is the most fair and logical is the following:

Teams may choose to ignore events that act negatively towards them, and only accept the positive events.

This rule would leave everyone on an even playing field, with no possibility of anyone obtaining any advantage by ignoring events which other teams aren't.

Thoughts? We may be required to have a team vote on this soon, so it'd be worth seeing where we stand on this. :)

Personally I think it seems silly to have events on in the first place if we can choose which ones we want... I know it's too late now (stupid voters ;) ) but I mean essentially a free shock promo or -25% inflation for one team is a negative event for the other four.

Though there aren't many other options... just a terrible situation to be in in the first place. :p

:lol: Yeah, well, given that we can't help that events are on at this stage of the game, I think the option proposed above is the best thing we can do right now. ;)

The possibility to select just good events is ok for me. However I wonder why teams are using ctrl-alt-del or x to leave, when instructions clearly say that exit should be done using "exit to main menu". I thought this kind of "violent" exit would cause problems to pitboss server. Should we make similar desicion also cocerning our internal game?

With regards to our internal game, that sounds fine.

I think the reason the person exited "violently" in the original case was because they didn't want to select any of the event options - they wanted to talk to their team first. And the option to exit the game through the menu isn't there as long as the event is there.

Ouch chose only positive ones... seems funny we could also be able to use save load later on :lol::lol:

But if there is no other solution for this, let it be...

Unless some would like to create entire game in world builder since now without events :)

With regards to our internal game, that sounds fine.

With our internal multiplayer game I think there's absolutely no reason for you to take whatever crappy events you get like a man. ;) It's not like there's a democracy you have to run back to to discuss the event, and not accepting it is cheating.

Leaving the event choice to one person does seem a bit unfair so that is probably the best option, but in our game we should take negative events like men.

That's weird...on my computer I can simply, with a click of a keyboard, minimize the CIV game, check the internet, and then come back to the CIV game by clicking at the bottom of the computer screen, with no harm done. :confused: Ctrl - Alt - Del isn't needed.

But anyway, I agree with the terms in the first post.

What if Parkin is taking the turn while we are all asleep? Or if someone is taking it before going out and so needs to turn off the computer?

That's weird...on my computer I can simply, with a click of a keyboard, minimize the CIV game, check the internet, and then come back to the CIV game by clicking at the bottom of the computer screen, with no harm done. :confused: Ctrl - Alt - Del isn't needed.

But anyway, I agree with the terms in the first post.
Yeah, I can do that too. The problem comes, as hell_hound says, when whoever's taking the turn needs to go out or go to sleep and turn off the computer afterwards. They can't just leave it running in Civ for half a day because of a crappily-timed event. ;)

I'd like to see desicions as soon as possible. No desicion is worst option. For demogame I vote for taking only good events.

For Game Saturn I vote that both good and bad events must be accepted. I see that most are thinking similarily. Do we've desicion or should we've vote?

Sounds like we've reached a fairly unianimous decision, as there haven't really been any dissenting opinions. Play the game properly in the internal game (ie don't cheat) - and as for the main game, only take the good events. If we're all happy I'll post our opinion in the public thread. :)

Forgot about this... just posted our team's vote (for all teams ignoring random events that they choose to) in the thread discussing this rule. :)

Top Bottom