Kazakhstan Diplomacy

Kazs are probably now waiting that we'll accept their Open borders. There is still 4 hours on their clock. Anyone against opening them?

I don't have a big problem. I'm just annoyed that they told us at the last possible second and expected that we'd agree instantly.

I won't be able to log in this morning. If you're around, give it another few hours for people to respond and then log in.

From Kaleb:

Yes, don't worry we'll normally be sending emails for important decisions. We're still discussing what tech trades we should consider.

What I meant by the trade is of course that once we have sailing we'll have a connection with you via the sea that will enable trade to occur between cities, i.e. :traderoute: :traderoute: :traderoute:

We're waiting for you to accept our OB proposal btw... Once someone from Saturn has either accepted or rejected we'll end our turn.

In addition to the above comments, if we pass through with a "phoney" war it will just delay when we can start commerce trading. Better to pass through with OB.
Really nice, "permit us to travel through or we'll declare war and do it by force". Well, at least it gives us an insight into their arrogant opinion of themselves.

Quick replies I sent:

Okay. By the way, all decisions big or small are important enough to warrant discussion in our forum - this is a demogame after all. Please remember this in future. ;)

- LP

We should be able to come to a decision in an hour or two. Once again, I wish you'd given us a little more time for discussion. Sure it's trivial, but we're playing as a team and not as individuals here. :)

- LP
Decided I wouldn't comment on the war thing as I couldn't do it without revealing how annoyed I am at them for it. ;)

He sent the message to me also.

Are they really handling their diplomacy like this or do they think they can afford it?

I'm going to bed soon.

Unless any objections comes I'll open the borders within next 20 minutes.

They are relly arogant if we would be in better position i would say srew them ! ATM we are not so i say OB them no need of war and spoiling our relations....

And iam really curious if whole team voted for this kind of behaviour, or it is just arogant diplomat....

I'd say we are not really in the position to do anything about arrogance. We'll need any trades or charity we can get! We can just take note of it for later if we get into a better position. ;)

Yeah, absolutely - they're probably first on our hit list if we get to a position where we can war with someone. :p

Let's OB with them.

Is it TRUE, though, that we get trade routes even if we can't see their cities? I hope so....
I don't think so. We need to explore some more first.

Our borders are open to them.

edit. I also sent 1 liner to Kaleb as PM.

You can definitely get trade routes from cities you haven't uncovered. You'll need sailing and a safe passage though... (no barb cities or galleys to block it)

Plako, would you mind quoting the PM here, just so we have a record of everything said back and forth? :)

Message from Kaleb:

Of course, sorry if it felt like a rush, but I did send the message last night. You've nearly had 24 hours to discuss this...

I thought it would be pretty straightforward :sad:

My reply to him (error in grammar included - whoops):

Actually it was 24 hours since you sent the in-game diplomacy, which I was unable to check at the time myself. I don't know who cancelled the offer, if it was cancelled at all, but the team could not discuss it because it was never reported in our forums. From your PM it sounded like you had only sent a worded message anyway - nothing as specific as an OB request.

It was been barely 12 hours since you sent an actual PM message telling us exactly what you wanted to discuss until we had to make a decision. So please, don't get upset at our need for a mere half day to allow at least some team members to be able to see and comment on a proposed deal. This is more than fair in a democracy game.

Once again, this is an argument for sending us notification, in a PM or email, of exactly what you want to discuss as soon as you want to discuss it. It's a far superior medium of communication, and avoids misunderstandings and frustrations like these. :)

- LP

Thanks. :)

From Kaleb:

It's no problem, definitely not annoyed :)

Hopefully you now have to additional commerce this turn from the OB and trade with us :)

I (wrongly) assumed that even though you might not be able to login you would pass the note on to someone else in your team.

I checked the logs and the message wasn't ignored, it was just that no-one from Saturn had logged in.

Sorry for any misunderstanding!

From me to Kaleb:

Actually I did pass on your message (that you'd sent something in-game), it's just that nobody thought to log in straight afterwards. You never conveyed any sense of urgency, thus I guess we all thought we could just log in and see the message when we next played our turn. ;)

Anyway, seems we've got things sorted out between us now. :)

By the way, I haven't checked, but I doubt we'll get any commerce from OB with you. That would require us to know where you are. So the commerce benefit will be one-way at present. If you'd give us some hint as to what direction you're in, that'd be appreciated.

- LP

MSN message from Sommerswerd (I was away):

sommerswerd@live.com sent 23/03/2009 7:25 p.m.:
Will you guys tech Aesthetics for us?
I don't understand why they always have to be so blunt. Are all of them really new to demogames, or are all just really rude diplomats? Either way, the way they word their messages really does reek of arrogance sometimes.

Anyway, what do people think? Obviously we're going to have to attach a few strings to the deal even if we agree to it. No way in hell are we just giving Kaz a tech that they can then retrade to SANCTA and Cav (and possibly MS too).

No, do not tech Aesthetics. Also, don't reply to that PM unless they re-send a PM in which case you post it here to discuss. Aesthetics has no point in our current game style (expand+cottage). It'd be much better to beeline for a technology like Civil Service to strengthen our capital. Alternative techs include Iron Working and Mathematics. Actually, I'd tech Mathematics first so that we can have better chopping.

Well, it's worth getting Aesthetics if we can then trade for something like Mathematics or Iron Working (or both). But we'd need to make sure Kaz were aware they were *not* allowed to trade Aesthetics to anyone else. To be honest though, I'm not entirely sure I'd trust them with that at the moment.

Top Bottom