Rat44 CCM - Ultimate Challenge

The Canadian units we can see start moving laterally, as though they're more interested in Philadelphia than Victoria.

Washington spearman --> spearman, Boston scout (just to clear the queue) --> slavery (rushed next turn by Lee, appropriately :lol:).

Washington also produces a training chariot, upgraded next turn to a chariot.

700 (6): With the Canadians having changed direction, we just pick off one archer in the Victoria area (26-3).

Washington spearman --> spearman, Boston slavery --> TW, Philadelphia spearman --> spearman, Atlanta transport ship --> transport ship (later changed).

660 (7): Pushing forward in the north, we move a smallish strike force adjacent to Ottawa.

Our Jumbo makes its battle debut and tramples a spearman north of Philadelphia--with some difficulty, but it promotes to elite (27-3).

Our force at Ottawa absorbs some bombardment from Canadian catapult ships, but only the covering units are damaged.

Washington spearman --> spearman, New York TW --> TW.

620 (8): We storm Ottawa, held by two spearmen, and sink at least three catapult ships in port (32-3).

We lose a slaver attacking a TW outside Ottawa, though it was as safe an attack as a slaver can make. Our next attack disposes of the TW (33-4).

We eviscerate seven Canadian units--a spearman, three archers, and three warriors--on the hill two tiles west of Winnipeg, then occupy and road the tile (40-4). If no more big Canadian stacks show up we should be able to push straight on to Winnipeg, attacking the town from its adjacent mountain for security against counterattacks.

In making the above attacks we gain a slave and our third Leader of the round, who immediately rushes Philadelphia's granary.

Washington spearman --> spearman, Philadelphia granary --> spearman.

Boston autoproduces a catapult.

Ottawa comes out of resistance.

580 (9): We combat-road Mount Winnipeg, then move our strike force onto it.

The Canadians counterattack our Mount Winnipeg force with a catapult, which defeats a spearman, and with a chariot, which we wreck (41-5).

Washington spearman --> spearman, Boston TW --> TW, Gatineau CC --> granary.

Washington autoproduces a clan, upgraded to a settler next turn.

540 (10): Our Jumbo impales a Canadian spearman threatening to pillage Philadelphia's iron, and we gain our fourth GL of the round, who immediately rushes Atlanta's granary (42-5).

Our assault on Winnipeg is a bloody business for no apparent reason except bad RNG, but eventually we seize the town from its garrison of two spearmen and a catapult, losing two TW and a slaver (45-8). We capture a worker.

By holding Winnipeg we have horses hooked up, though horsemen are a pretty useless build at this point.

We scythe down a spearman and an archer around Winnipeg, and a spearman and a TW outside Victoria (49-8).

An attempt to deal with some spearmen wandering near New York misfires when our catapult redlines and retreats without doing any damage, so I'll leave that minor problem for the next player.

Eleven slaver victories this round yielded seven slaves.

Thirteen elite victories this round produced four Great Leaders.

The Canadian campaign is going very well, and they have only six units in sight now, scattered all along the front. However, we're still listed as weak relative to them, so there may be a few challenges yet to come.

We need a couple of turns of healing and buildup, but after that we can pick off Mississauga. Then we should probably aim for the town whose name we can't see SE of Ottawa, which is still close enough to become a core city for us.

If nothing happens this interturn to suggest that we'll have further tactical problems at Victoria, we should disconnect the iron there. Only the Mongols want it of the civs with whom we can communicate at the moment; it wouldn't be prudent to trade it to them; and if we do nothing they'll just demand it away from us.

There's a Canadian spearman next to Philadelphia which we can attack when the odds are better.

Note that the lux rate is only at 30% so that our recently acquired Canadian towns can grow; our native cities would be happy at 20%. I think this is important, since the Canadian towns are our core now, but we do have the option of returning to 20% if it would make a good deal possible.

It's pointless to try to find a place for our new settler at the moment. Sooner or later we'll auto-raze an enemy city, or raze one by choice, and we can use the settler for a replacement town then.

We have one transport ship crawling west along the Mongol coast. After Atlanta completes its granary this IT it should build another and send it in the same direction. The east is a much less promising direction, but sending one ship that way might be worthwhile.

The spearman just SW of Washington is heading for Atlanta. We should try to get a second unit into Gatineau too.

The two slaves and one foreign worker we have on the roads are all going to join the great mass at Boston.

There's not much to say about the trade position at the moment. Even with the lux rate cut to 20% to give us another 10 gpt we can't remotely afford Republic or Religion, one of which we'd need to get a twofer started.

We've seen nothing of the Germans, despite being formally at war with them.

:clap:

what can I say? Absolutely breathtaking turn set, but then I expected nothing less from you ;) 4 MGL's is very lucky though.

Very nice, I hope we can keep the momentum. However, they have to have some more units. I say press on for the next 10 turns and then decide how far we push them.

The Roster:
ThERat
Northern Pike
Greebley - up
Elephantium
CommandoBob

I say press on for the next 10 turns and then decide how far we push them.

It's hard to see why we'd want to stop, apart from leaving them one city so that we can do pointy-stick research. I suppose it's possible that if they've given up the farmer's gambit they might start pumping out more units than we can deal with, but I don't think it's likely.

Preturn: Looks good

IBT: Warrior appears to the North but it is Japanese and not German.
3 units show up near Winnepeg.

500 BC: I pillaged the Iron as suggested.
Lose a Tomahawk warrior to one of the Spear wandering in our land.
Don't kill the Tomahawk near Winnipeg. It would be risky attack leaving units vulnerable to counter strike. Units go to towns to heal.

IBT: A stack of 2 Spear and 2 T Warrior show up between Ottowa and New York. They may be able to pillage our road there which would be problematic.

475 BC: We kill several units but retreat from the stack mentioned above. We still can't kill the Tomahawk warrior.

IBT: An invisible unit attacks Winnipeg and kills the Spear. Unfortunately, this means the Tomahawk can attack one of our elite enslavers and kills it.
The stack above goes back the way it came.
Solomon's temple completed.

450 BC: Kill the Tomahawk that has been annoying us and get a Leader.
Start moving on Mississauga

425 BC: Starting a move on the town we don't know nearer our core. We should be able to attack Missisaauga next turn Used leader to rush Great Iron Mine.

IBT: We lost the Scout in Mongol lands.
We finished the Great Iron Mine. More units near Winnipeg.

400 BC: Spot the 2 Spear and 2 Tomahawks, so retreat stack to attack new town. This will give us more units to handle them. We attack Mississauga killing two Spear. Our Elephant retreated fortunately.

375 BC: We finally kill the 2 Spear and 2 Tomahawks without loss.

IBT: A Tomahawk and Ancient Cavalry attack us but both lose.

350 BC: Canadian town was Fredrickton. We now have forces next to it. I think we have enough to take it. We are building a road to Mississauga.
I have been boosting our capitols sheilds (mined hills) to allow for 3 turn Elephants.

325 BC: We are barely able to take Fredrickton. Actually leave it empty because the speed 2 unit to take it has 1 hp. There were several attack units in it.

IBT: We keep Fredrickton.

300 BC: Fortify Fredrickton.

IBT: Lose a spear and Tomahawk Warrior near the border.

275 BC: Fredrikton is now well fortified and we can probably move on next turn. Near Winnipeg our Enslaver gets a leader which I move back to Philadelphia. It
It is turn 90 so I am stopping her.

Notes:
I thought it might be better to discuss what to use the leader for. I left it selected. Didn't see anything compelling to use it in Philadelphia though.

I did not trade because we can't afford the good opportunties. I think we might want to make peace with Canada to get some tech at some point in the future. There should some deals that may work. Mongols are still behind the leaders with only 3 techs ahead of us. We can almost get Religion or Republic from Canada - we can get them if we throw in money. I think we at least want to take Vancouver and possibly remove their Horses.

Washington just reached 25 shields and I switched it to Tomahawk Warriors since we get 3 of those for each elephant. If we want speed we could go with the elephants though.

Regina and Ottowa both cannot have 2 content due to 'Cruel Oppression'. That will eventually go away and the towns can start growing again.

Interestingly our army is Average vs Germany so they may be at war which would explain why we haven't seen them. We are also Average vs Canada now. We are weak to the other 3 we know.

I sent the boat the other way, so it is not following the previous one. Regina is building a boat which can be sent West on the other coast.

Fine progress, and a great idea getting Washington to one-turn TW production. :goodjob:

I'm still not inclined to let the Canadians have peace for techs until they're down to their last city. We're clearly at a tipping point in the war--average relative to their army, with very efficient TW production now--so this is no time to stop. Our being this far behind in tech is just normal for a Sid-like start, and we shouldn't let it divert us from correct strategy.

Also, if we let the Canadians have a breather while they've still got a meaningful number of cities we'll unquestionably face pikemen (a first-Age unit in CCM) when we resume the war.

I don't have a utility to tell me the flip risk in Gatineau, but if it's zero or tiny MacArthur should rush the granary there. If we choose to do this we should immediately set Gatineau for zero food surplus, so that the food box doesn't empty before the granary is built.

If there is flip risk in Gatineau the decision becomes harder, but I'd rush Washington's marketplace. That should be worth a fair number of gpt.

We should keep our spare settler as close to the front as is consistent with safety. In a situation like this, any gap that appears due to a raze or auto-raze will be filled almost immediately by the AI. Just starting our settler on its march from the capital when the raze occurred would be hopeless.

Nice going in this war. Seems it was the perfect timing.

I would rush a market, more coins are always a good idea. I would press on with the war until Canada has one useless town left. No point to stop now. We need land and cities anyway.

Then, we can attack Mongolia.

Pre-turn: I switch Mississauga to Granary because I don't think it needs Walls.

I also shuffle a few units in the Washington-Boston area.

IBT:

Canadian forces are on the move, but they don't threaten any of our cities yet.
Mississauga riots :(

Turn 1 (250 BC):

Chariot of Fire kills a Canadian Ancient Cavalry on the edge of the forest NE of Winnipeg. 1-0

Mongols lack Monarchy and Religion. Unfortunately, we can't afford either tech in order to set up a twofer :(

IBT:

German ship sinks in an unsuccessful attack on our exploring Transport Ship. 2-0
Canada attacks Fredericton:
Chariot kills our Spear 2-1
Ancient Cav kills our War Elephant 2-2

India completes Hinduism.

Turn 2 (225 BC):

Enslaver of Time and Space kills rTomahawk Warrior 3-2
MacArthur rushes Market in Philly.

Defense of Fredericton:
Catapult kills Ancient Cav 4-2
Catapult kills Tomahawk 5-2
eEnslaver takes Chariot as a slave 6-2

IBT:

Germany loses ANOTHER ship to our (redlined) exploring Transport Ship! :lol: 7-2

Canada lands two Spears next to Ottawa.

Turn 3 (200 BC):

Ottawa: TW kills Spear 8-2
Fredericton: Chariot kills TW 9-2

IBT:

Japan complains about our ship that just entered their waters. We apologize.

Germany finally sinks our Transport Ship. 9-3
Enslaver dies vs. our Spear at Washington. 10-3

Canada bombards Ottawa with lots of ships...

Mongols complete Hunnic Storm.
Incans complete Royal Tournament.

Turn 4 (175 BC):

Ottawa: TW kills Spear 11-3
Near Vancouver: Jumbo retreats from TW

Mongolia has Monarchy now. I just hope we get Religion in time to trade with them...

IBT:

Canada kills our Spear near Vancouver with a Catapult 11-4
TWs force our Enslaver and a Catapult to retreat.

Turn 5 (150 BC):

Catapult pings to Spear at Vancouver, revealing an English Pikeman.
TW dies after redlining the Pike. 11-5
TW dies, no damage 11-6
TW kills Spear 12-6
TW kills Pike 13-6
TW kills TW 14-6
TW kills Chariot 15-6

Cat kills Spear 16-6
Chariot kills Catapult and captures a Settler 17-6
Vae Victis kills TW 18-6

IBT:

Canadian Ancient Cav kills a Spear near Winnipeg. 18-7
Their Spear pillages what used to be their Iron near Ottawa.

Turn 6 (125 BC):

Charlotteton:
Chariot retreats from Pike
Chariot retreats from Spear

TW kills Ancient Cav near Winnipeg. 19-7

Near Ottawa, eTW kills Spear and gives rise to Patton! 20-7

IBT:

Ancient Cav retreats at Vancouver
Canadian Longswordsman (Crusader graphic) dies near Winnipeg 21-7

Winnipeg riots :blush:

Turn 7 (100 BC):

Chartlotetown:
Catapult kills Pike 22-7
Chariot kills Spear

Enslaver kills TW 23-7
Chariot kills Ancient Cav 24-7

Greeks and Japanese are both in the Age of Discovery.

IBT:

Canadians bombard Charlottetown for a couple of HP.

Turn 8 (75 BC):

Tomahawk Warrior kills Spear by Vancouver. 25-7

IBT:

We lose the Spear in Charlottetown from bombardment 25-8
Lose TW in Vancouver to Ancient Cavalry 25-9
Canadians lose two Longswordsmen, one on our spear by Winnipeg, one to the War Elephant by Vancouver. 27-9
Canadian Spear kills redlined Catapult exposed by bombardment in Charlottetown. 27-10

Turn 9 (50 BC):

eChariot kills Spear by Charlottetown 28-10

IBT:

Canadian Longswordsman kills our War Elephant S of Vancouver. 28-11

Turn 10 (25 BC):

TW kills Ancient Cav that would have attacked Vancouver on the next IBT. 29-11

Montreal (N of Halifax):
Catapult retreats from Pike, no damage.
Catapult retreats, 1 damage.
Catapult dies :wallbash: 29-12
Chariot retreats, no damage.
Chariot dies 29-13
Chariot kills Pike (finally!) 30-13
TW kills Pike 31-13
TW kills Pike 32-13
TW dies to Longswordsman 32-14
TW barely kills Longswordsman 33-14
TW kills redlined Longswordsman and takes Montreal!

Lose TW to Canadian Spear 33-15
TW kills Spear 34-15
Enslaver kills Warrior 35-15
TW kills Spear 36-15

The Canadian campaign is still going well, but we've had to face some Longswordsmen and Pikes. Pushing on to prune them back is the right plan.

Once we make peace with them, the Mongols are the weakest (in terms of science, at least) right now. OTOH, they have the Hunnic Storm - that could be unpleasant. I like the idea of going after Greece next to round out our empire, but they're already in the Age of Discovery.

Back to me already?

I need a skip. My son is in town for a few days and I know I won't have the free time to give to this game.

ok got it then...first need to read up

Top Bottom