Need help with the addiction

Anastasia

Chieftain
This is not a joke, not like www.civanon.org clearly was (to my disappointment). This game is destroying my life. When I sit down, I don't get up for at least the next 6 hours, and too often it turns into 12-14 hours a day. I stay up all night, greet the morning, then go to sleep for several hours. Each time I hope that I'll be too tired to stay up late for another night, yet Civ is the only activity I know that will keep you up, however bleary-eyed, you'll be awake and at the very least hitting Enter to get to the end of the game. Then start over, to do better this time.

I was getting a handle on Civ3, playing the Conquest version, I was able to win at the hardest level for each one of the leading nations (there were over a dozen, right?) In the end, I threw the disk out. In the garbage. Now, however, my dad has Civ4 installed on his computer. I can't exactly ask him to uninstall it or password-protect the computer (I hope it won't come to that). Instead of spending time with friends, reading, or looking for a job like I should be, whenever I think about anything serious or upsetting, I get a craving for the game. Each time I say, "just an hour." Isn't that what insanity is, attempting the same task while expecting a different result?

This is not good. Even if I stop for several days, I start up again. I discovered the Greek world mods, and the custom game option, where you can start in later ages. Also, I've gotten better. I've started winning more, so now I want to try to get a win for each one of the available leaders and for each era, staying at the Prince level for now. In the beginning, I kept playing and losing badly each time. I almost lost interest entirely. It's no fun when there's no improvement. Then I started to cheat - by doing re-loads of the earlier autosaves.

I'm rambled enough for my first time. I would really appreciate some serious advice. (Not how to play the game, but how to quit.)

I always liked the quote by Buckminster Fuller:

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. "

In other words, don't try to "fight" your civ addiction (seriously, you obviously like the game so enjoy it for what it's worth), just try to incorporate other satsifying, rewarding and pleasurable activites into your life. Take walks, hang out with friends (or significant other or family), get more involved in school/work. Just be open and aware in the moments you aren't playing and try to enjoy them.

I felt pretty addicted to Civ I and II way back when. As odd as it sounds I sometimes think back fondly on my memories of playing. Over time you will develop new hobbies and habits neverfear. Good luck & welcome to CFC. :thumbsup:

1) uninstall the game (including save files)
2) take a hammer
3) smash the CD.
4) Do NOT touch you computers for a few days. Have a rest. Maybe you could go camping in a secluded forest. Do something, anything. The point is to get your mind off the game.
5) Enjoy your freedom.

Get another hobby like; running, tennis, smoking, football, cooking, masturbating. And go do that instead of civving.

1) Sleep for a week, no interruptions.
2) Find a girl.

taillesskangaru said:
Coma. Of course.
No that's no good, catheter = :aargh:

It'd have to be a 23.5 hour a day coma (where you could wake up long enough to drink some water, eat a little bit, use the restroom and then go back to sleep).

Pasi Nurminen said:
2) Find a girl.
Based on "anastasia", should we send her to Mathilda, or wouldn't it be better to find a boy?

However, it may not be such a stupid idea. Try to find friends who also play Civ.

So you can still play it, and be with your friends :D

Friends were always a good motivator for me:

Tell everyone you know (family, friends, confused passer-by's) that you are quitting and tell them to remind you if they see you playing.

Make plans far in advance: tell friends on monday that on friday you are all going out.

Talk with other people about thier little addictions. Share some tips, laugh at yourselves, go out for a banana split.

Good luck :salute:

Anastasia said:
Now, however, my dad has Civ4 installed on his computer. I can't exactly ask him to uninstall it or password-protect the computer (I hope it won't come to that).

Why can't you ask him to password-protect the PC? He should be aware that you're playing Civ4 waaaay too much on his computer anyway.

Combine that with, as others have said, telling a lot of people you're quitting it, and just before you do, play for 24 hours at a difficulty level one or two up from what you're used to with no reloads, and the AI will kick your ass despite your best efforts - leave that as your memory of Civ4.

I've found another way. Anytime I play CivIII or CivIV I got frustrated because it's not as I want it to be.
So I start modding it, but I got frustrated because the modding options are to limited and to cumbersome to use.
So I close Civ, open Visual Studio Net, and resume working on SSS :D

Why stay addicted to only Civ when you can be addicted in
1)Oblivion
2)Total War
3)Diablo 2
4)Gambling
5)Smoking
6)Shopping
7)Working
8)Drinking
9)Girls\Boys
Vary your addiction a little, then you'll have a life.

@Anastasia: A very important question:
How long have you been adicted to it ? I have played civ3 for about 3-4 weeks at most. At the end of those, the initial "rush" faded away.

Me, i can't stay addicted to ANY game for to long. I have to play more than one game or i'll get bored.

But there are a few games that kept me addicted for several weeks ... I never played anything overnight tho. Sleeping is my favorite hobby. Computer Games are in 2nd place.

Steph said:
Based on "anastasia", should we send her to Mathilda, or wouldn't it be better to find a boy?
:mischief: Happy to help. :mischief:

Anastasia - how old are you?
You said you should be looking for work, what sort of work?
Would finding work give you the opportunity to move out from your parents' house?
Oh, and the best equally dangerous way to give up civ is to start posting on CFC OT regurlarly.

Anastasia said:
This game is destroying my life. When I sit down, I don't get up for at least the next 6 hours, and too often it turns into 12-14 hours a day. I stay up all night, greet the morning, then go to sleep for several hours.
You say that like its a bad thing. Let me tell you this, the world is a horrible place. It's full of violence, war, rape, fraud, liberals and people who spell foneticlay.

Much better to stay in and play CIV. At least conquering other nations on CIV gives you a sense of achievement, you won't get that in the real world.

Also the world is full of crazed unpredictable people. You don't have to worry about that on CIV. There you can be assured that those crazy Mongols and Germans will make lame threats whilst the Indian's passively lick your boots.

If you consider going out again buy Championship Manager online. That, in addition to CIV, will ensure that you never meet a real person again.

Gr3yL3gion said:
Why stay addicted to only Civ when you can be addicted in
1)Oblivion
2)Total War
3)Diablo 2
4)Gambling
5)Smoking
6)Shopping
7)Working
8)Drinking
9)Girls\Boys
Vary your addiction a little, then you'll have a life.

Staying vice-mobile, like it.

Remove the Enter, b, f and Space bar keys from your keyboard. Very soon the game will be too iritating to play!

Or alternatively smash the CD (by accident :mischief: )

Top Bottom