Linux and Civ V

vanatteveldt

Emperor
I currently run Civ IV on a ubuntu desktop using wine and I sometimes hear other people saying the same. After applying some 'winetricks' documented on the Internet I am running the latest patch and BUFFY mod without problem, and it seems as fast as when I still used Windows.

I thought it might be good to voice a request for a native linux version or at least a good wine version. I think the wine people can be paid a relatively modest amount to make sure that it works with certain software, and then they can package wine + civ as a linux game.

I know that Civ, even though it is my favorite addiction, will not be a reason to reinstall windows.

Can the linux players please post a "me too" reply to indicate our interest to Firaxis?

Cheers,

Wouter

I think the wine people can be paid a relatively modest amount to make sure that it works with certain software

I think you just answered your own question there. Not going to happen, and I certainly hope Firaxis' time and resources go towards making a better game, than more compatible game. I'd rather have a stable Windows release, than a buggy Windows/Mac/Linux release.

That's my opinion as the user of the most popular platform when it comes to PC gaming.

My house server, a quad core, doubles as a gaming computer by dual-booting Win XP and Ubuntu 9.10. I would love a Linux version, and it would get a lot more play time -- "Call to Power" was up and running all the time -- but I don't think the business side would work out for Firaxis. What chances Linux had on the desktop were destroyed when Steve Jobs came back to Apple and OS X moved to Intel hardware -- that's Unix on the desktop now. I'm one of the converts. If I need Linux, I start VirtualBox on my MacBook.

(Now that Blizzard and Valve are both supporting Macs, somebody needs to slap some sense into Firaxis, too. But there is a different thread for that)

So I second your request, but the length of the thread alone shows that we're going to have to wait for something like Civ IX for it to happen. World domination is still a bit away :).

I don't think the business side would be that difficult, as CivIV shows that the core game can run on ubuntu+wine just fine. Given that OpenGL is not an option, just collaborating with the wine people would not cost that much money, and I think will net them a bit of sales. Even 2% of the computer market share is huge, and I think CIV addicts are not the stereotypical (windows) gaming community, so a number of people (like me) will buy a linux (or "linux-supported-but-at-your-own-risk") version but will not run a windows machine for gaming purposes...

I just second the request.

I've been running cIV under wine for two years but by now my new laptop with Intel gpu won't do the (wine)trick (or just with too many graphic errors, respectively). With Win7, the laptop will start the game without erros.

So I would prefer a native *nix version - including Mac which, after all, is in fact the mentioned "Unix on the Desktop" os. But Ubuntu is Linux on the Desktop as well - so why not?

Regards,
Jensen

hear, hear (Linux or Mac would be great).

It would be good if the Mac version didn't retail for quadruple the price of the Windows version, too (as is currently the case with Civ IV).

I would love to have Linux support. Linux (Ubuntu) is my main OS. I have a dual-boot setup with Windows XP, but would much rather stick to Ubuntu. At the moment, I can't run any Civ game well (except for FreeCiv). This makes me incredibly Civ-deprived. It'd help keep me sane if there was a Linux version. Hmmm- maybe not all that sane if I get addicted...

Yup, Civ is pretty much the only reason I dual boot. If there was a Linux version of Civ5, it would spare me that bother.

dlls are non linux, and it's confirmed that civ 5 uses them, so Civ 5 will not be native for linux. However, this does not eliminate the possibility that wine may work for civ.

Please, a competent Mac version not "Aspyr to be dung" yes, this counts as Linux

Windows 7 is great.

They dont need to port the game to Linux or OSX, just get a PC with Windows and enjoy playing games :)

I thought it might be good to voice a request for a native linux version or at least a good wine version. I think the wine people can be paid a relatively modest amount to make sure that it works with certain software, and then they can package wine + civ as a linux game.
Getting Civ V to work on Ubuntu could be a death sentence for my dual-boot win partition. :p
I would love to have Civ V on GNU/Linux!

Considering Valve announced it has no intentions of Linux Steam in the near future this is not happening

It would be good if the Mac version didn't retail for quadruple the price of the Windows version, too (as is currently the case with Civ IV).
That's the case with most games/software. Pathetic. Another reason I have a PC.

A LINUX VERSION WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!!!!! all those mac pplz could play without having to pay the extra price for the mac version without having to buy windows!

All this has been discussed ad infinitum in the Mac threads. The reality is that Firaxis doesn't have the resources to make a cross-platform game at launch. I don't think anybody's making large-scale native Linux games at all and a lot of Mac ports come later and come at a premium. Those are realities; let's all live with them.

Fortunately for us Linux and Mac users who turn up our nose to Microsoft and their fascist user agreements (I didn't need any stinkin' product key to install any of my Apple software, thank you very much) there are work-arounds. They do, however, take effort.

Vanatteveldt, I'm trying to figure out how to make Wine run Steam games--they will not launch for me. Any insights? I'm using CrossOver right now, but I'm getting ready to try out Wine straight up.

Top Bottom