Your Favorite (not best) UU

I do believe you mistook Logistics for Supply.

Supply is an excellent promotion for the Sea Beggar. It is my other favourite unit, but people have already said enough what needs to be said about it.

The nice thing is with an armory, your sea beggars now have logistics as soon as they are built.

Kris swords have to be my favorite (not best) UU. Really fun to play. Only downside is, they suck.

Jaguars with Honor opener for me too, theyre the only unit that actually encourages me to attack things. Promoting them to drill 3 and sticking them in jungle / forest tiles is also sick, I need to try removing the barbarian XP cap.

Roman Legion - the iconic unit of one of the most fascinating empires ever. Very strong unique unit also, though not brutally overpowered like the Praetorian was in IV.

Honorable mention: Winged Hussar. I doubt it was much fun being charged head-on by these guys in real life.

Conquistador = any CS that has these become my new best friend. I love keeping them around when coal, alum and uranium emerge. They hit the beach, kill some locals and plant a flag.

Roman Legion for me. It feels right, marching my legions across the continent to conquer distant lands, then having them put to work building roads.

Naresuan's Elephant. Especially with animations turned on. Every time I imagine what it would actually be like, being stampeded with elephants while riders jab down long pikes. The intimidation factor alone...

They aren't half bad in the game, either. Get a bonus against other mounted, absolutely trample ranged, and even can hold their own against their supposed counter, the pike.

My favourite really depends on the game and playstyle, but here are some units that have consistently granted me a LOT of fun over the years: :king:

Janissary (Because it's just amazing, and also upgrades really well! Infantry or Mech Inf with the attack bonus and heal on kill makes it really really tough.)
Longbow (Medieval Artillery? Yes please!)
Pictish Warrior (These units pretty much guarantee you a religion, even if you just farm barbs. Also scales pretty well late game when upgraded, if you have something to spend the :c5faith: on)
Samurai (Chop chop chop! Really good synergy with Bushido, and unlimited free sushi fishing boats!)
Ship of the Line (These bad boys have won many games for me, and usually end up with tons of promotions. If the game ain't won by these, it will be won when they upgrade to level 10+ battleships)

I love the slinger. The ability to jump away from enemies is just hillarious (sic) in Incan terrain. :D

Pathfinder. Nothing pleases me as much as picking my Ancient Ruins results. Nothing. And upgrading to Composite Bowmen is just an extra fun bonus.

Kris Swordsmen. One time I had twenty of these and I wasn't even Indonesia.

I was Egypt, and had a militaristic CS nearby that gave Kris Swordsmen. Through one gold donation and a lot of lucky quest fulfillments, I remained allied to that CS the whole game. And then I delayed researching Steel as long as possible. And fought barbs to unlock the mystic blade bonus. Who cares about a few Enemy Blades?

Enemy Blade is not TOO much of a downside since you can keep that unit as a defensive unit in your borders. Though it is missed potential. It's still better than Evil Spirits. blegh.

Evil Spirits just means "throw this guy at a city to capture it and then build another one." It's not really that bad, it's just your designated cannon-fodder.

I'm going through all Civs on Emperor now. Only had a few, but Minutmen are excellent! The worst until now must be those War chariot/War elephant ones.

My current game is with Poland for the first time, so I haven't quite gotten to use the Winged Hussars yet, but I have a feeling they'll be the bomb (and worth using the stupid Lancer track for.)

Longbowmen. Two shots before that infantry reaches you? Yes please. 2-range Gatling Guns afterwards? I'll take that.

My current game is with Poland for the first time, so I haven't quite gotten to use the Winged Hussars yet, but I have a feeling they'll be the bomb (and worth using the stupid Lancer track for.)

In my experience, they're still not very good. They still suffer from the majority of problems Lancers do; the best thing about them is that they're base 28 strength instead of base 25. The extra three helps them be a little more competitive against their contemporaries like Cavalry and Riflemen, but they're still behind and have to wait forever for an upgrade.

It can be fun chasing units around with the resulting Helicopters, but they're still not that much fun in my books.

Top Bottom