Ruins and barb camps.

TractorBoy

Prince
Playing a Pangea map low sea level versus high sea level, I would have thought there would be more Ruins and more barb camps on the former. This is very difficult to gage but it would seem to me that they are closer together on a high sea level map and just as many of them. Can anyone confirm what the criteria is in the programming of the game?

I am asking this question because the early game building of exploration units would be greatly affected by this knowledge, depending of course at which level we are playing!

Barb camps don't seem that obvious without the honor opener. Other civilizations can sometimes take away ruins right before you get to where the ruins used to be.

I remember earlier versions of the Civ series where there were numbered map start seeds and it would have made sense back then that the larger the land mass the more ruins and barb camps there would be. The question I am asking here is are there a set number of ruins/camps for a given game with low/high sea level or would the latter have less because there is less land area?

I remember earlier versions of the Civ series where there were numbered map start seeds and it would have made sense back then that the larger the land mass the more ruins and barb camps there would be. The question I am asking here is are there a set number of ruins/camps for a given game with low/high sea level or would the latter have less because there is less land area?

Good question, I wish I had the answer. Here is the way I hope they do it:

A ratio of land hexes to barb camps/ruins. And that should be a constant, unless raging barbs is selected.

Map size/type and low/high sea level will determine the number of land hexes, if sea level has no impact on the number of barb camps/ruins, that would be a mistake IMO.

Map size/type and low/high sea level will determine the number of land hexes, if sea level has no impact on the number of barb camps/ruins, that would be a mistake IMO.

This is what I initially assumed, but since I have been experimenting by playing the game, it does seem to me that sometimes there seems to be more of an abundance than others. I don't know if it is just my imagination, but when playing low sea level they seem to be more spread out!
I would have thought that a modder or programmer/game designer might know the answer to this?

Note - Raging barbs only increases the spawn of barbs from camps, not the number of camps, that is unless there has been a change since the vanilla version.

This is what I have known for a long time. You never find a barb camp on a resource or luxury, but you can find them anywhere else that can be attacked. Once pillaged, as long as we move our units more than four spaces away, said barb camp will re-spawn in the same position at some point depending on game speed.

If the random seed for barb camps has a set pattern, is it possible we could have less of them because a Mountain or Lake is in the position where the barb camp would have been located?

On a Highland or Lakes map it seems to me I get an abundance of barb camps, is this a fact?

Top Bottom