CIV V comes up with a black screen when launched

WoodenPro

Chieftain
Hi there,

I have only had this problem because I accidentally changed my resolution ingame to the highest possible so whenever I launch it now it comes up with a black screen after I skip the intro video or just leave it. And I have to restart my PC to use it again so now I can't get past the intro screen on Civ. Is there any way I can change the resolution or fix this problem; even making the game windowed would work

Thanks. If you want to contact me any other way other than this forum which would be easier for me add me on steam :
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198073680729/

You can find the graphics settings .ini-files in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civ V. Open with notepad and look for fullscreen, set it to 0, and windowresx & y to e.g. 800 and 600.

You should go into steam and verify the local cache. Do it until it says all files verified successfully. Then go into your documents file where you saw the config.ini file and see if there are two others. Besides the config.ini, I have a Graphicssettingsdx11.ini and a userssettings.ini.

If that does not fix it, then delete the .ini file that you do have, and re-launch the game. At some time in the process, the game is supposed to create those files, and it is not doing so.

I deleted the Config.ini file and launched the game but it still comes up with a black screen and my monitor says "some japanese writing, 65.6 kHz/60Hz"

Pls Help
Civ V was my life and i want to play it so much...

Do you have a virus?

From the information given, the game used to work, but he changed the graphics settings in the game, and now it does not. For some reason he still has corrupted files related to steam and/or Civ5. Unless the monitor is not working for anything, it is just the game files sending the information to the GPU that is at fault. He may have to manually start deleting all files except for any saved games, and keep validating files in steam until those files are properly replaced. A virus may cause files to act normal enough for steam to not think they need to be replaced.

Even if it was a sync issue, the game should be able to revert back to a resolution that does work.

Since you only see a config.ini file, and not the game's other ini files, you might be looking in the wrong location. You want to look in

C:\Users\(user name)\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

That's the default location for the ini files that others in this thread have told you about. You may have been looking in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V

This folder also contains something named config.ini, but it's just a shortcut to the real ini file. Deleting it would have no effect on the "real" ini file. So, navigate to the first location that I gave above. Do you now see several ini files? If so, follow the instructions given earlier.

Please let me know if this isn't clear, or if you need more advice. Good luck!

Wait a min,
I found the file, now I need to download the game again and see if it works
Will get back to you if it does...

Top Bottom