Best neighbor

DWilson

Where am I? What turn is it?
So, in a bet with a friend to see who would do better, I ended up playing my first emperor game (though I've won on on Prince and King, that was a long time ago, and I usually play on Warlord just to have a chill game, messing with different parts of the game. It's been months since I've had a really hard one). He isn't as familiar to the game as me, so I promised to play two levels higher than he. I was shocked when he picked Prince, and I thought "crap, I barely one once like that, and was usually stomped. this is gonna go badly".

We set up the same game
Earth
Standard
Ahmad Al Mansur vs Wu, Enrico, Kamehameha, Monty, Gandhi, Napoleon, and Gustavus
Usual set up otherwise

I spawned in Germany Europe, with China as my only real border to the east. And that brings me to the point of this poll. Wu had to have been the most loyal AI ever. She beat on France and Polynesia, a couple city states, then later Sweden. But she never even tried to mess with me. And my military was paltry in comparison to hers. But she never betrayed me, or even got aggressive. In fact, at one point I was downright bad to her (befriending her stronger enemies, bribing and proposing world congress to place an embargo on her, etc.). Her loyalty made me feel pretty awful, actually. But she stuck through.

Now, I had a bad spawn (relatively speaking). As Morocco, I head absolutely no desert tiles. I only ended up expanding to three cities (another near Poland/Slavic region, closer towards China, but not too close, and one on the west coast of Africa). Still almost no desert (all claimed by city states in Africa).

Never the less, I turtled, and briefly even held the lead as I claimed strategic wonders. But as the game went on my score fell and fell and fell, until I was second to last (to be fair, Venice, Polynesia, and Sweden were all eliminated, so I didn't fall too too far). But I was behind in numbers. Wu was well over double my score.

Fortunately, she was loyal, and as she dominated everyone else around, I was able to go through without a single war (post fall patch, I might add). Thanks to this I was able to eek out a late, hard-fought science win (thanks to a great scientist and two great engineers spent on the last part, which Wu had nearly completed herself- though before then I completed almost all of them before she completed her first, it just took forever to tech to the last part).

My point is, this game gave me two things: one, an incredible sense of accomplishment at my first emperor win- on my first try no less-, and two, a deep desire to share a border with China over anyway else in the foreseeable future.

(p.s., Yeah, I realize it was just emperor, but it was a big deal for me. Sorry if I'm a tad over excited).

Anyways, what do you all think? Who do you dream of finding yourself next to in most games?

My point is, this game gave me two things: one, an incredible sense of accomplishment at my first emperor win- on my first try no less-, and two, a deep desire to share a border with China over anyway else in the foreseeable future.

(p.s., Yeah, I realize it was just emperor, but it was a big deal for me. Sorry if I'm a tad over excited).

Anyways, what do you all think? Who do you dream of finding yourself next to in most games?

You should be proud and excited! That's awesome for your first Emperor game! You probably feel like a ferocious Man-Bear God. I did after my first Emperor win.

China is a good neighbor to have, I've found. But, the person I really like to have next to me is Ethiopia or Byzantium. Totally loyal and always provide good religion bonuses. They are with you through thick and thin. Really love having them as neighbors.

The ideal neighbor for me is one that plays tall/peaceful and isn't obnoxious about spreading their religion. Good examples are Brazil and Portugal.

I also don't mind a neighbor that declares war as long as they aren't deceptive about it. A good example of this is Sweden, he can make for a good neighbor but sometimes he stays at neutral which is a good indicative to ready the defenses. On the other hand there are unpredictable civs like Napoleon that will ask for DOF and march his armies at you 10 turns later, which is just extremely obnoxious to deal with.

Portugal. Maria I is RIDICULOUSLY easy to get a DoF from. Send her one trade route, and the next turn she'll ask if you want to be friends. Also, Venice, because, hey, it's not like they're going to expand much. >:)

The only reason I don't agree with you all on Venice is that Venice tends to get beat up on by everyone. I don't think I've seen them once live through as an AI. Venice as a neighbor is really having Venice's neighbor as a neighbor. That can be a bit dangerous.

Trade-oriented civilizations (Portugal, Morocco, Venice, Indonesia) because of all that money.

This. She always expands like there's no tomorrow. Although she's a friendly expansionist.

Hey, when you get City State luxuries without having to be their ally, it really makes the entire map look good for your cities. ;)

Top Bottom