R.E.D. World War II development thread

and danrell works need to be seen

totally agree on that :)

btw forgot to mention that I was playing v7; I must have missed the release of v9!
I will start a game with it tomorrow :)

Ought to name them militia too, or if not that then instead of a strength penalty give them less health that way they can be healed through reinforcements later on, probably would be realistically the way "reserve units" work.

Anyway, I played versian 9 and i loved it. The fall of Poland and France work great, it would be nice if France and the UK should started with open borders. I also saw for the first time the AI using the interception capability but it was only the Germans using it.

Also testing through the 1942 scenario I'm noticing the AI only builds vannila buildings, once they are done with them then they start building units and new mod buildings. I could be wrong but I think this is a flavor issue, since the new units don't seem to be flavored.

The reservist need to be at full health from start, they are here to help the IA, not just give food to your tanks :D

with V.10 I'll start working more on the AI, including aircraft missions and building list.

I'm not sure about the favor, all new units should copy the default favor from a vanilla unit (ie light and heavy tanks use vanilla tank flavors)

yep I created a small function to output all cities, in fire tuner select RedMain state and type : CityList()

(edit: else there's the WB plot property tab)

(edit 2: the list will be cleaner in v.10)

In the Lua console, where it's written "Main State" select RedMain.

And yes, I use the WB as reference, so must be there, I don't remember exactly where, but I was almost sure it was the plot property tab :D

I wanted to redesign the 5 Leaders of this mod to match the civ 5 style. Then i wanted save them to a dds file with the nvidia photoshop dds plugin. But every time i saved it, it compress the images so they look pixelated on the edges. Is there a trick or a better plugin, where the quality isn't reduced by saving it as dds.

Here is the preview of my leaders as png. If Gedemon want to use it instead the ones he uses now, i would be proud . Need help with the dds without qualityloss.

Attachments

• pharaoWW2Leaders.png
    pharaoWW2Leaders.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 141
love them :goodjob:

hope someone can help you with the dds, else maybe I can convert them to dds via Gimp or Paint.net

The only thing I can't think of is converting them in gimp or a different editor, but those look really nice,

it would be nice if you could make Roosevelt, Hirohito and Chiang too just as ideas.

and on the lua thing, I found what your talking about but I didn't have to type anything in it just had a panel for it, thanks :)

Here is another update on the 1942 map,

My latest test was with the USA and here are some screenshots and descriptions. (should note that I changed the date to 5 days/per turn here but I decided to change it back to 10 days/per turn). This is with versian 8 not 9.

Spoiler :

^ at turn 17 the Germans and Soviets are still battling it out in the same spot they started, German troops are getting closer to stalingrad. The Germans however have so far failed to take Leningrad and Moscow. The Soviets for the most part have grinded the German advance to a halt.

Spoiler :

^ Despite the typical AI naval problems, the German U-boats have been trying to hunt down my embarked troops.

Spoiler :

^ at turn 17 unlike the Russian front, the front in China has changed dramatically. The Japanese have taken the major city of Wuhan and have surrounded the city of Guangzhao. But considering the Chinese are facing the bulk of the Japanese army, I would say they are doing a pretty good job. And it's always nice to see that reserves are working :).

Spoiler :

^Trying to go historically I launched operation torch. The French Foreign Legion was helping me but it seems they sailed off :( . Unlike in this screenshot I shrunk the M3 Stuarts slightly so they were so big.

Spoiler :

^This is the northern pacific front, my marines have just taken back Guam from the Japanese. This is after defeating the Japanese fleet and sinking one of their kaga class aircraft carriers and one of their kongo class battleships. And Note that the Aircraft carriers were having issues with the above unit flag but it's been fixed just not shown in this screenie.

Spoiler :

^This was a different game but I liked the look of those sallys so i posted it. :)

There is 8 new units + 7 units that Gedemon already had defined for Japan, China and the United States. All of Danrell's of course.

and @Gedemon, I should be uploading the files to you soon. :D

Here are the three leaders which T_KCommanderbly requested.

I've made a rar-archive with the necessary dds files, so you can integrate the new leader icons in this mod. I've let the order of the leaders as in the previous dds your using, so just change the atlaslink and size (4x2) in the xmlfiles to the new one, when you upload a new version of the modfiles. You didn't change your civ orders and the old flagatlas could be still used.

I hope you can integrate them in the next updates. If T_KCommanderbly wants to integrate new player civs, just give me hint what comes next and i can make some leaders in an additional dds file.

I've also get the panzer II done and i'm working on the infantry-icons for every nation.

Is it ok, when i make smaller dds files which can be integrated as i finished them? Especialy i make dds files for just infantry with all infantry for all eight civs?

Because their a lot of units to be done and so some of the icons could replaced when they are done.

Attachments

• leaders.rar
    571 KB · Views: 58
  • wwII_leaders_6.png
    wwII_leaders_6.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 70
  • wwII_leaders_7.png
    wwII_leaders_7.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 77
  • wwII_leaders_8.png
    wwII_leaders_8.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 88
Excellent, they'll be in next release. I will use a temp name to not have to reload the data mod so soon, but they'll be replacing the old ones after, thanks :)

And yes, do as is easier for you for working/updating the DDS, I'm ok with that of course, it will be great to integrate them as soon as they are ready. (and will fit nicely with the way I'm updating the mod, filling first the small core mod until it size request another transfer/update of files to the data mod...)

Awesome work FouR_Pharao, you really captured the art style of CIV :thumbsup:

Hi Gedemon,

some more pedia files : BB Sharnhorst and South Dakota and some tanks.

Sorry that it's coming slowly but I am quite busy :(

Attachments

• Ships&tanks-1.rar
    24.9 KB · Views: 56
Here are the three leaders which T_KCommanderbly requested.

I've made a rar-archive with the necessary dds files, so you can integrate the new leader icons in this mod. I've let the order of the leaders as in the previous dds your using, so just change the atlaslink and size (4x2) in the xmlfiles to the new one, when you upload a new version of the modfiles. You didn't change your civ orders and the old flagatlas could be still used.

I hope you can integrate them in the next updates. If T_KCommanderbly wants to integrate new player civs, just give me hint what comes next and i can make some leaders in an additional dds file.

I've also get the panzer II done and i'm working on the infantry-icons for every nation.

Is it ok, when i make smaller dds files which can be integrated as i finished them? Especialy i make dds files for just infantry with all infantry for all eight civs?

Because their a lot of units to be done and so some of the icons could replaced when they are done.

Thanks! Those look really nice as do all your icons :)

and @Gedemon, through the lua defines how do you give a nation a completed project? would you put it in the g_Cities = {} like the buildings?

and @Gedemon, through the lua defines how do you give a nation a completed project? would you put it in the g_Cities = {} like the buildings?

ho, I see why you need that.

It's not implemented ATM, but I'll try to add it for next release. As soon as it's done, I'll send you the updated version so you can test it.

I was thinking you may have already done this, but just in case I would mention this might be a good thing to change for your AI:

Code:
<AIMilitaryStrategies>
		<Row>
			<ID>0</ID>
			<Type>MILITARYAISTRATEGY_NEED_RANGED</Type>
			<CheckTriggerTurnCount>2</CheckTriggerTurnCount>
			<MinimumNumTurnsExecuted>2</MinimumNumTurnsExecuted>
			[B]<FirstTurnExecuted>25</FirstTurnExecuted>[/B]
		</Row>

...etc...

I see the first turn executed on nearly all these military strategies the AI has at its disposal are >25 turns or so into the game. I just updated them all to either 2, 5, or 10 depending in my mod. Hopefully it will make the AI better in the early game.

Top Bottom