Why does capturing a City State give an extrem Warmonger penalty?

I don't think so. This is a simulation/war game, is not Bambi.

Also that "Moral" reasonement to me is hypocrite: Today on XXI century (supposedly entering the information era), we still have resource wars and etnial genocides on Africa, and China soon will be member of the human rights council. Not so long ago we had a World War, all we have been done ALL civilizations until now is to bring on wars whitch pursue their interests.

Also on Civ 5 total genocide is done when you raze, not when you conquer. With CS is always conquer, and the pop loss are considered war casualties from the conquest and loot.

That`s completely missing the point. In the world today, all the things you mention are still viewed as morally wrong whether hypocritical or no. It`s the contradiction of the Human Being.

I don't mind the massive penalty if you specifically DoW a CS to take it but I don't think you should get so much hate when they join a war as allies of a major civ. I think the warmonger penalty should be calculated as if the CS were one of its ally's cities.
It'd be even better if you had the option to liberate the CS in the peace negotiations. That'd make Mongolia's UA a little better.

These are two great ideas!

All I want is for those CSs to be treated like one of his cities during that war.

I understand better what you meant, but I'm not sure I agree it would be a good change to "suspend" the penalties like this. Leaving aside the warmongering system, this would remove a strategic element from the game.

I think it's actually a good thing that CS nearby allied to a potential enemy represent a threat and that the player should make choices about that situation, either by investing to win an alliance with the CS, or by preparing military to defend yourself should it come to a DoW, or deal with it more permanently but then suffer the diplo penalty (As Venice or Austria it's easier, you simply buy/marry those CS for yourself at the first occasion)

When I start allying CS, one of my first priority is to buy out those that can have a strategic value, that is first those that are too close and could pose a threat, and then I might pick some that can pose a threat to rivals. All that trying to balance this aspect with the types of CS I need, but I might well ally a mercantile CS despite having the resource it offers just because if it isn't my ally it might become a threat should its ally declare war on me.

I agree your proposal would be more realistic/immersive (temporary occupation to neutralize a threat) but I think the way things are now are better in terms of gameplay.

Top Bottom