Suggestions?

cairnsy44

Gooner - first class
I am probably too far to salvage the diplomacy aspect in my current game, but wanted to get some ideas. Playing as Shoshone, Prince, Pangea(shuffled). I declared a mostly phony war with Rome early to steal an unguarded settler, that was all that happened. Later, Maya encroached on my lands and settled on my doorstep (not that it had much choice, Japan and myself had them hemmed in to a crummy starting location) and had built a few nice wonders (Stonehenge, Great Library and Parthenon). Japan took the first city and I took the capital, which finished the Maya off. That is the only city I have taken and since I dealt the Mayans a death blow, I had some considerable warmonger hate coming my way. Most everyone was guarded and while Rome was now friendly, he would not DOF. China was my closest neighbor and a very annoying one at that. After I caught them spying once, I demanded they cease. She refused and when I killed their spy next time around, I declared war. They have 3 cities. Shanghai is the closest to me, is next to Uluru, and is a city I must travel past to get to Beijing. Beijing has 3 wonders (Great Wall is one..cannot remember the other 2). How would you proceed?
I am first in tech and my capital is double the size of everyone else's capital. I am in the Renaissance Era and am attacking with Xbows, Trebs, pikes, knights and swords.

I am probably too far to salvage the diplomacy aspect in my current game, but wanted to get some ideas. Playing as Shoshone, Prince, Pangea(shuffled). I declared a mostly phony war with Rome early to steal an unguarded settler, that was all that happened. Later, Maya encroached on my lands and settled on my doorstep (not that it had much choice, Japan and myself had them hemmed in to a crummy starting location) and had built a few nice wonders (Stonehenge, Great Library and Parthenon). Japan took the first city and I took the capital, which finished the Maya off. That is the only city I have taken and since I dealt the Mayans a death blow, I had some considerable warmonger hate coming my way. Most everyone was guarded and while Rome was now friendly, he would not DOF. China was my closest neighbor and a very annoying one at that. After I caught them spying once, I demanded they cease. She refused and when I killed their spy next time around, I declared war. They have 3 cities. Shanghai is the closest to me, is next to Uluru, and is a city I must travel past to get to Beijing. Beijing has 3 wonders (Great Wall is one..cannot remember the other 2). How would you proceed?
I am first in tech and my capital is double the size of everyone else's capital. I am in the Renaissance Era and am attacking with Xbows, Trebs, pikes, knights and swords.

I am not sure of all other CIVs in your game or even if you mentioned all of them already. But if you are ahead in tech and can keep like this until you get Artillery, I would recommend you to wait for it. It will make your war much easier with 3 tiles bombard distance on cities. Do not attack China until you have this. The reason why you want to speed up the battles so they finish fast is because you might have to wipe Uluru first. Once Uluru is down, just take all chinese cities and raze everything but Beijing (capital). Once you get the warmonger penalty for finishing off a CIV, you might as well go all the way. Destroy them all.

After those 2 CIVs are out of action, the game should run easily for you.;)

I agree with Rombizio and would even go so far as to suggest that you pursue a Domination Victory now that you have the high warmonger penalty.

However, I would add that you might want to see if you can bribe Rome into also declaring on China. This should guarantee you a friend until the end of the game (when you can turn on them) and give you at least one Civ to trade with and it should also make the war a little easier for you.

I would add that it is generally better to forgive them for spying. They will never stop even when they promise to, so demanding they stop and/or denouncing them over it does nothing good diplomacy wise

I would add that it is generally better to forgive them for spying. They will never stop even when they promise to, so demanding they stop and/or denouncing them over it does nothing good diplomacy wise

That is very true. It has a diplomacy impact but they keep trying anyway. Very annoying.

I am rolling over China, took Shanghai and figured I should just take Beijing and leave them with Guangzhou, which does not have a great location.
Greece has two smaller cities and is very low in tech.
Rome and Japan are at war with each other. Rome went from Friendly to Guarded as the positive modifier for sharing a war (vs Mayans) has dissipated. I will see if they want in vs China or maybe join them vs Japan. Japan is neutral but has a lot of red (covet land, built wonders, etc.). Rome and Japan follow my religion which will likely become the world religion in the WC once the vote happens in 20 turns. Venice is neutral and on the far side of the continent. Sweden does not like me, follows its own religion and is also on the far side. I have the largest army and the advisor says I would wipe the floor with everyone but Rome.
Domination appears to be the way to go, I guess. I just get tired of Domination wins often times.

Yeah, if you want good relations with me, at least TRY to be humble and not so arrogant. If you do not want me to spy on you, then do not spy on me...especially if I ask you to stop. I will give you a get out of jail free card...but next time? DOW...and you will be toast. China is feeling that now.

Top Bottom