Deity Lessons - so far

ruff_hi

Live 4ever! Or die trying
I've started to play some deity games. The only way I can have a chance of winning at this level is OCC with permanent alliances enabled. I've played 3 games, won 1 and lost 2.

Game 1: The first lose was an early war declaration by someone and they just rolled over me - Lesson: select your opponents carefully

Game 2: Much better - got a PA with Asoka and was heading to a space ship victory when some other AI built the UN. Asoka and I won, I selected the diplovictory as a bit of a joke and ...

Lesson: Deity is easy!

Game 3: Decided to swap to warlords (from vanilla civ4) for this game. Here is my capital - nice ...

Obviously mapquested but still very nice. The 3rd gold, corn and pigs were a very nice bonus that were not in the starting screenshot - only visible when I settled. I was within 1 turn on finishing the Oracle and 3 turns of clearing maths (opening Currency), I started another building to take Currency with the Oracle only to see someone else finish it the very next turn.

Later Bismark turned up with a stack of units (just after I took Nationhood with Liberalism) and took my city from me - I had no metal and could only build longbows.

I replayed from an earlier save and checked after opening it ... Bismark is WHEOOH (I totally missed it), here is his power graph ...

... and this time I took gunpowder (!) from Liberalism and started building musketmen. I teched nationhood and also started drafting musketmen too. Survived easily.

Lessons: Don't muck around with the Oracle. Check WHEOOHs regularly.

Note: These games are played with the HOF mod. If I was using BUG, the WHEOOHs would have stood out easily as well as Bismarks jump in power.

Game 4: Space race loss to Lizzie by 4 turns in 1500AD. Argggg. Basic issue what that Asoka started Apollo very late and in a farm rich city ... idiot!

Lessons: While waiting for the PA to become an option (40 turn stretch between DP and PA), finish scotland yard and get spies into the AI that will be the biggest challenge ... ready to sabotage space ship parts (if required).

Game 8 (or 9): I went back to the drawing board and re-selected my opponents. I got sick of stupid ol' Bismark declaring on me. So I swapped in Mansa and took out Bismark. Played one game and no-one would sign a PA with me (we don't like you enough!). Also met Ragnar (that was a surprise - should have been Roosevelt but I guess I mis-clicked).

The game I won I only traded for techs that I really wanted - no trade just for trade sake. I also concentrated making Mansa my PA ... this meant teching to Economics (for shared Civics with Mansa) instead of concentrating on Liberalism (and free religion). Worked like a charm - Def Pact with Mansa on turn 181. PA opened up on turn 221. At this stage he is +13 (def pact, peace, trade, tribute, resource supply, cool civics). Suddenly my tech goes from Sc Method to Stealth(!).

Washington was 1 space ship part from victory (but he didn't know the tech). Mansa was 2 parts ... and he didn't know the tech. I told him to tech Ecology and then Genetics which he knocked off in 1 turn each. Those were 15000(!) beaker techs and he completed them, from scratch, in 1 turn (my city was putting out about 500 beakers at this stage). He then built the remaining ship parts in 3 turns and ...

I think he would have lost if I hadn't told him what to do ... so I totally felt I earnt this victory :run: :D

Now I just have the easy victory types of conquest, domination, time, etc to go.

:D

Looks cool. This:
ruff_hi said:
Suddenly my tech goes from Sc Method to Stealth(!).
made me quite :rotfl:

And good luck winning time on Deity :eek:

I noticed your Deity HOF submissions and thought you might be chasing a Deity Machiaevelli (all victory conditions). I'm vaguely trying to get this done as well (have 4/9 done) but Time will be a pain in the butt I'm not looking forward to.
what about DQM? That shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 yrs to complete.

Top Bottom