Saved by the same random event twice in 7 turns.

Bigv32

Prince
I was playing a game on prince and I am sad to say that I did not build up a good military early enough in favor of buildings (I am a builder). Anyway, so I had the second largest empire on my standard pangea map, but little military as said above. I was post democracy in the tech tree and was running free market (key factor). I though it would be a good idea to sign two defensive pacts with the only other two AI on the map that were not vassals of Kubla Kane (spelling). Anyway, what I did not realize was that they were not prepared for a war just like I was. Kubla got very mad at me because he did not like my new "allies". The fact was, the other two had a row of cities between me and Kubla, so my thinking was that their cities would take a brunt of Kublas attacks and I would have enought time to get a peaceful victory of some kind. I was wrong.

My idea did not work. Kubla declared war and his two vassals did the same. His armies were bigger than I thought ( the only time an AI has kept most of his army out of his cities where I could not see them). I realized that my AI allies would fall, so I needed to help. I shifted a large portion of my cities to military and sent help to my allies. I was running with an economy that I did not feel could wage a war outside my borders, so I gave my allies my troops. They did not help. Kubla and his allies broke through my allies cities and attacked me. Realizing I had no chance, I switched to pure military civics (except for free market). I was able to hold most of my outer cities for about twenty turns, but like the borg in star trek, Kubla eventually broke throught my lines. Slowly, my economy failed. This game was before I updated with the latest patch, so I had inflation at about 85% at this point in the game. I had no funds and was running out of money even with all my sliders at 0%. Slowly but surely, my cities fell.

After about 30-40 turns after the war started, I only had two cities left. Both were on a penensula with one causing a choke point. I was also lucky that Kubla did not build much of a navy. Anyway, a few turns before, I realized that I could not hope to hold all my cities, so I pulled every unit back to the choke city and one other city. The idea was for Kubla to consintrate on this city and give me time to do something. At this point, I just wanted to see if I could live. Finnally, he took the city (after about five-six turns). By now, I had all my units at my choke city. Luckily, my allies had become a bigger threat to Kubla and he withdrew some units, but I was still screwed. My choke city was my wonder city, so I had a huge cultural ring around it. Also, I had the Cristo Wonder (I had traded for the techs from my allies and used a great engineer). Sense I had switched civics, I had some cash because I could not rush.

Just as Kubla moved on my choke city with a good sized force, I got the lower inflation event. I then had money to burn. It was not much, but I could start research again. I rearched assembly line and stopped. By now Kublas first attack had failed, but I had lost some well experienced units including a level 8 musketman, but I got a great general. I quickly built an infantry and gave him the great general. Now I thought I had a fighting chance. By now, it had been six turns since I had the random event, but when I ended my turn, I got the same random event. Now I had more money to burn. I switched to universal sufferage on and off for the next few turns and built up a moderate force.

I then proceeded to take back all of my cities. There was a brief time of peace (4 turns because of cease fire), but by the time the war or wars was over, I had all of my cities, the line of ally cities infront of my cities and 2 of Kublas cities. I then was nice and stopped attacking Kublas main cities and took back my allies cities. Because of maintance, I gave them back. I then won a space race, but it was late. I had reasearched to future tech 15 by that time. Nobody else had built any space ship because I let the war run between Kubla and my past allies for the rest of the game.

It was the longest war I had ever fought and I loved it. I got 12 great generals (one from facism/communism not sure which one). I give credit to the fact that I got the two inflation events within seven turns.

Great story! I think people all too easily give up on these situations but in my opinion these are the best games, even if you don't win the game at all. I have fought these "surviving wars" myself many times and usually I have managed to somehow save my empire and its always great :) In my latest game I attacked Ottomans who had three times bigger army than me and one ally, I lost many cities but slowly I chewed up his huge SOD:s and finally conquered back my lost cities and now he is the one losing cities :)

Anyway, do you happen to have any saves from that game ?

Top Bottom