The Dutch: Useless?

You don't have to worry about keeping neighbors happy in SP, the AI already has plenty of happiness from its bonuses, an extra 4 isn't going to make much difference.

I also tend to play very wide when I play the Dutch. The UA lends itself to acquiring additional happiness (if you choose to trade for luxes instead of gold) which can sustain larger empires. Combined with polders, if you can manage to obtain some social policies or wonders to offset all the unhappiness, the Dutch are one of the few civs that support both a tall and wide empire, which makes them really powerful, IMO.

Not much has been said about the Sea Beggar, but it is probably my second favorite naval UU (nothing beats the SotL). Starts with ridiculous promotions and allows you to leech even more gold from attacking cities. Sure, you'll take damage since it is a close combat ship, but it starts with supply(?) which allows you to heal outside your territory and continue the assault.

LOL, when I said keep them happy, I don't mean with the population, but with me, so that they are less likely to cause me trouble. I really used poor wording there.

For those of you who haven't seen it, here is someone pulling off a T221 Culture victory with the Dutch. IMO, they are god-tier on any desert-heavy map, and top-tier on those without, simply for their insane REXing abilities.

I really want to play the dutch, cause well they're dutch.

But here's the problem as I see it with the UA. Ok so say on average your city has 2 different luxury resources. that means you can trade them and still have 4 happiness total with 2 resources to trade. Or you could be arabia and have 4 resources to trade with a bazaar. leaving you still having 2 resources to trade, while keeping 2 for yourself for +8 happiness.

no matter what the dutch UA does not scale well. say instead you have 3 of the same luxury resource. As dutch you have 3 to trade, and keep +2 happiness. As arabia you now have 5 to trade while still keeping the one you need for +4 happiness.

I'm not saying they're useless at all. I haven't played them so I'm just theorizing here. but it looks to me like their UA is at the bottom of the usefulness as far as UAs go. it's better than not having a UA, but that's about all it's better than.

Their UA is pretty bad, but the Polder UI is amazingly good.

The Portuguese have a great happiness improvement, an economic UA, and a naval UU. The Netherlands aren't as good.

Maybe their ability should be reworked a bit. Though keeping the current ability would be nice, often I always have the most money if I trade it for gold. Maybe allow the Dutch to spend less money on gold purchases.

Focus should most definately remain on economy.

The Feitoria can be hit-or-miss. In the only game I played as Portugal, most of the CSs offered only one luxury resource: Pearls. The other two offered luxuries I already had excesses - trading them out extensively and still have surplus. In that game, the Navigation-unlocked UI was worth 4 happiness for the 2 turns that I did not have a single CS allied post-Navigation.

Well, I absolutely love The Netherlands. I hardly ever use their UU, but the Polder is super-great! I do bee-line the Guilds technology & then Economics (for the dramatic production & gold boost).

I lust after desert starts with lots of flood plains.:) I almost always try to build the Petra wonder, but often end up having to capture it.

I build a shrine ASAP, and am almost always able to get the Desert Folklore pantheon. Then, with faith being generated very quickly, my religion soon becomes dominant -- I choose happiness beliefs, including the ability to build Cathedrals & Pagodas with faith.

In my last dozen or so games as William of Orange, playing at the Emperor level, I have won by conquest or science almost every time. I like to become a warmonger after I have 3 cities well established; then I start spamming units & kicking butt.

Top Bottom