Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Hannibal

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Belisarius

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Subutai

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
Obviously context is everything, and understanding the international situation at the time and the effects of Austerlitz on the subsequent Peace of Pressburg is important, but social and economic history?

It's that context that tells you what significance a battle has in relation to a question like this. It'd be like judging how good an Age of Empires player was based on a couple of games where you didn't know how many trees, how many mines, pop limit, and so on the player (or those against him) was working with.

Pangur Bán;11343429 said:
It's that context that tells you what significance a battle has in relation to a question like this. It'd be like judging how good an Age of Empires player was based on a couple of games where you didn't know how many trees, how many mines, pop limit, and so on the player (or those against him) was working with.
Well, yeah, but I don't really see the relevance of social history to determining the significance of the battle. I'm only seizing on social and economic history because they were specifically mentioned, mind.

---

My own opinion on Napoleon as general - as opposed to Napoleon as *cough* "statesman" - is that he was both an excellent gambler and a lucky one, and generally a fine officer that I would have wanted nowhere near the command of an army fighting for a cause I support. He wasn't the epochal man that people too close to his time - like Clausewitz or Jomini - thought he was, and he didn't fundamentally change the way people make war, but then, no general has. Much like Alexander, he took an army that had been largely built for him already (the work of Carnot, the loi Jourdan, and such) and expended it building a massive empire; unlike Alexander, he was unable to die before his empire failed, and his empire failed because of military defeats that he personally sustained and mistakes that he personally made.

Is that the work of a "greatest ever"? Meh.

I've already said that I have little truck with this "greatest general ever" nonsense, and that I usually treat these sorts of threads as ways to list "good generals that I, personally, think were pretty cool". None of whom are, in fact, on the Pole.

Zwantepolc II de Danceke.

In the battle of Rondsen Polish duke of the Duchy of Gdansk - Zwantepolc II de Danceke (Swietopelk II of Gdansk) together with his Prussian-Lithuanian allies defeated the army of Teutonic Order's Marschall Berlewin von Freiberg and Teutonic allies.

In the battle of Rondsen Swietopelk destroyed the charging heavy cavalry - over 50 years before similar thing was achieved at Bannockburn or Crecy. He used poorly equipped light infantry of his Prussian-Lithuanian allies to lure Teutonic heavy cavalry into his hidden main body of infantry. Teutonic cavalry charged & smashed his Prussian-Lithuanian allied infantry but then fell right into his hidden troops and got destroyed.

Order's Marschall Berlewin von Freiberg, former Order's Marschall Dietrich von Bernheim and 400 Teutonic knights were killed in this battle.

The only mention of this battle I can find

There are some Polish articles / books on this battle:

- K. Zielinska-Makowska, Bitwa nad rządzkim jeziorem na tle wczesnych dziejów Grudziądza (Die Schlacht am Rondsener See auf dem Hintergrund der früheren Geschichte von Graudenz), 1994

- T. Jasinski, Bitwa nad Jeziorem Rządzkim (w 1243 r.). Przyczynek do dziejów pierwszego powstania pruskiego i wojny Świętopełka z zakonem krzyżackim, 1996

I have the 2nd one - the one by T. Jasinski.

Regarding English books, you can find something about this battle here:

W. James, The history of Prussia: from the earliest times to the present day. Tracing the origin and development of her military organization, 1876

http://archive.org/details/historyprussiaf00wyatgoog

http://archive.org/stream/historyprussiaf00wyatgoog#page/n6/mode/2up

In the chapter "Invasion of Culm", page 165 of volume 1 of this book from 1876 (links above) you can find info about this battle.

from which you copied the post mentioning it precisely.

Copying my own post is not a crime.

Who would ever have guessed that Domen would bump a thread to talk about how awesome Poland and/ or Polish people are? :eek2:

I didn't. :(

Top Bottom