Am I the only one who don't care about religion most o f the time?

Skull_

Chieftain
Everyone here seens to love play a religion on their civs. I personally think it's not necessary for anything. I can see some benefits like gold or culture per :c5citizen: following your religion or "for the glory of god" for buying great people, but I think it's not worth the effort to manage missionarys around.

Most of the time what I see is if you start and a corner your religion will be better, cause you will not suffer pressure from all sides, but in the middle, you are probably done. The only game that I had huge sucess with religion was with morocco. I didn't even planeed to have an huge religion, just got it to have the panteon, but sundly I pressured half of the wolrd with my religion at the point that holy citys would have only 1 follower of other religions. Big luck I guess...

Well seems to me you are not spending time to manage your religion. Religion can be as strong or as weak as the focus you have on it. I have won games because I had a strong religion and I lost games due to the religion of others. But I also had games which I found no religion at all. It can be from useless, to a mild bonus to a game changer, it depends on your taste and time and effort spend really.

Nah, not the only one. It is fun to watch your religion overtake the map, but on higher difficulties the effort needed to grab a religion is often not worth the bonuses you get.

I kind of think of religion as a natural wonder. If I get one (lucky CS alliance, faith natural, faith pantheon, etc.) then I run with it, but otherwise typically ignore it all together.

Also, WTF Deity AI? I don't know if it is the new Piety tree at Ancient or what, but get the right Civs to spawn and they take all the religions by like turn 50.

I think i'm missing something with religion too. i have built hard-core for it when G&K came out because it seems like a really cool addition. But the only single thing that I have found cool about it is tithe, if you don't get tithe I don't see the point.

what other things can it do. +2 more food or +2 happiness to your cities, meh. And so what's the point of spreading it to everyone?

Again I may be missing something but the one single thing I can find useful about spreading your religion to other civilizations is tithe.

I go out of my way to avoid founding my own pantheon and religion
I just don't want to deal with the constant stream of missionaries and prophets

Well, if you spread it enough you are more likely to get it voted as World Religion for +50% tourism in your capital (or something like that). Addmittedly I don't play at the highest levels (I play Emperor) but in the few games I've gone for traditional tall, culture victory, I've usually had World Religion. And tithe of course. With 10% growth + 15% growth when not at war :) Feels like it helps!

[edit]: Oh and of course, +2 faith from wonders, and using faith to buy stuff like great engineers/musicians at opportune times is also good. Basically free GPs.

That being said, I definitely don't go religious every game. If the start is lucky for it, I grab it.

Nah, not the only one. It is fun to watch your religion overtake the map, but on higher difficulties the effort needed to grab a religion is often not worth the bonuses you get.

I kind of think of religion as a natural wonder. If I get one (lucky CS alliance, faith natural, faith pantheon, etc.) then I run with it, but otherwise typically ignore it all together.

Also, WTF Deity AI? I don't know if it is the new Piety tree at Ancient or what, but get the right Civs to spawn and they take all the religions by like turn 50.

It is the new piety tree and as with everything new the programers hardcoded the AI to pick it first it seems...

Well, if your neighbour is a religious civ you can forget about it and/or your area lacks a good faith pantheon.

Else you should try for religion. Tithe bonus is OKAY, but I like the 15% production bonus <-- the AI never seem to get this + the happiness bonus <-- Pagodas/Ascetism (though your religious neighbour will get one probably). Sharing a religion also grants 25% to tourism, so uh, I say it's the best for culture/domination games.

I don't like that human players cannot ask AI civs to stop proselytizing. Religion in the game should be optional.

I don't like that human players cannot ask AI civs to stop proselytizing. Religion in the game should be optional.

Hum players can ask the AI to stop. And often they comply.

What I don't like is that you can't ask them to START proselytizing. Yes, I'd like some of those pagodas, thank you please.

What I don't like is that you can't ask them to START proselytizing. Yes, I'd like some of those pagodas, thank you please.

If you turn one of their cities to your religion, often that makes you fair game and they'll start hitting you back.

I dont care much about religion either. Its more of a coincidal bonus sometimes. In the early game i am fully occupied with things that have a higher priority. However i think that religion has been perfected in Civ 5 and has the correct level of importance and depth for it to be a fun little addition to the game.

Seriously consider religion on maps where you have easier access to the other civs....AND the other civs don't heavily favor religion. If you can get Hagia Sophia and Borbudour wonders relatively early, you'll own the game (i.e with Tithe)

If you turn one of their cities to your religion, often that makes you fair game and they'll start hitting you back.

I don't want proselytizing when I have my own religion. I want it when I don't.

I'm just waiting for someone to mod athiesm, agnosticism or secular humanism. Then I'll be happy. :)

As a warmonger, religion is necessary, for the happiness. ceremonial burial/ascetism/pagoda gives each city 3.5 happiness, almost singlehandedly making up for the 4 unhappiness penalty per city. Every happy face is crucial when you're conquering and puppeting. I don't even use tithe, as trade routes and connection bonuses make enough money for me. I play on immortal and I can still get religion regularly. Deity not so much.

Just played a game as Celts to keep a sharp eye on some things with religion. I was able to found a a panteon very very fast.

Got Stonehenge, borbudour and great mosque.

I must admit that the 70+ gold for so many followers was great but I'm still not sure if it's worth all the effot. But yeah, on that game I had no match for my religion

I usually make a shrine my capital's second building. Religions provide nice little boosts that make running an empire lot easier. (IE: Pagodas) And if you're the Celts, Byzantines, Maya, Ethiopians, Moroccans, or Arabians, I'd consider getting a religion almost mandatory.

I don't normally get a religion and even when i do get one its normally pretty small and can barely keep my own cities from getting Great prophet spammed by AIs. Immortal up religion is one of the things i skimp on. AI's just go nuts over religion now, its best to let them waste there time with it.

Top Bottom