Not so great general. Any ideas?

beetle

Deity
GOTM Staff
Any ideas why Construct Citadel is not an option for my great general? If I move him one tile NE or SE, the Build Actions menu pops up as expected. Thanks!

Attachments

• not-so-great-general.jpg
    not-so-great-general.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 487
Are you in a war with Hiawata? If not, I'm quite sure you're not allowed to plant a citadel in his territory. However, if you move it to the tiles you indicated, he's in your own territory and thus allowed to construct the citadel. It'll still piss off Hiawata, but it's technically allowed.

Hmmmmmm.....You say : you can get the option by moving up or down 1 plot , so : its probably not related to The Great Wall being near. Does Hiawatha have a citadel built nearby? ,or , this is a longshot : You do know about the last action icon , with the three arrows ,that : opens a list of additional actions for the unit? Most likely you do , but , i thought of the possibility that : it is coming up as a recommended action in other spots ,but , in that spot , its just an action.

No, that should be possible. You should be able to build a citadel up to one tile outside of your borders in any place at any time. No idea why not, here.

No, that should be possible. You should be able to build a citadel up to one tile outside of your borders in any place at any time. No idea why not, here.

I'm QUITE sure you can't do that when you're in that player's territory AND not at war with them though.

I'm QUITE sure you can't do that when you're in that player's territory AND not at war with them though.

I agree, that's my best guess. I think it's to stop people from cheesing Open Borders to increase the impact of Great Generals.

Go to war; Hiawatha has it coming anyways. Looking closely at the map, I'm sure he's pissed off most of the rest of the civs from planting his trademark crap cities next to them.

I've seen that map before...

Good memory, GotM TS 58!

You do know about the last action icon, with the three arrows, that opens a list of additional actions for the unit?

Tried that, and the direct keystroke command too. No active DoF either. If one moves two tiles past your border, the Construct Citadel pops-up, but it is grayed out. This is different than that even.

No, I've done it before - there's even a special dialogue that pops up from the AI going "If you're looking to provoke a war, keep doing that", or something along those lines.

It must be some strange bug. I move two tiles away, still inside Hiawatha’s territory, and the option pops up. Problem is, I really want the aluminum!

Attachments

• not-so-great-general2.jpg
    not-so-great-general2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 220
Could it be the great wall is considered like a citadel. Since you cannot place two citadels beside each other.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

i remember sometimes i can not construct Citadel in a jungle or forest tile. I still don't understand why

Thanks BlackWizard, but both my games where this happened were late game. Recent one, the bugged tile was an oasis.

So, no one else has experienced this?

What about buying the tile in your first screenshot and then plant the general?

Thanks BlackWizard, but both my games where this happened were late game. Recent one, the bugged tile was an oasis.

So, no one else has experienced this?
You can't build any other improvement on an oasis tile, so I maybe the Citadel is blocked too. Never really tried though, it's just a guess.

What about buying the tile in your first screenshot and then plant the general?

Target tile is four hexes away from capital, so cannot be purchased. I may have a chance to play around and see if owning the tile makes a difference with the plant citadel option coming up. I though maybe the GG needed his full movement, but that’s not it. Note that the menu does not even come grayed out, which is what happens when a GG is outside your borders.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced this. I am not running any mods, and GG works fine at least nine out of ten times.

Probably because the forest.

Building a citadel on forest would require removing the forest. The way forest in other player territory behaves for workers is that workers can chop it during war but not peace. Great Generals are probably hemmed by the same limitation.

Top Bottom