Annoying Units

spontaneous1

Chieftain
So this thread is about what units and circumstance's have nearly driven you up the wall while playing civ.

I'll start if off then :decided I needed to stop the cultural wonder spaming of Etheopia, all was going well I had rushed to dynamite and was just finishing off their second city,hoping to get away with it before Mehal safari's came out of their cap.

No such luck as the city fell I was greeted with a horrible line of sight which exposed 3 of the ''Grim reapers them selves sitting near the Addis Abbaba.Needless to say it was a bloody and time consuming conflict... :mad:

Naresuan's Elephant.

That is all.

Impi swarms. With all the flanking, cover, and movement bonuses they are really difficult to focus kill before they withdraw, not too mention they are really powerful on top of this. My knights, crossbowmen, and pikemen/swordsmen were no match the first time I met them. Probably the hardest spammer to stop due to the OP flank bonuses though and his massive -50% cost on supporting them means that many more. The typical strategy of a few elite units with strong cities and ranged inside is worthless. He can easily pillage enough to keep himself up in health while attacking cities and due to the exp bonus the impi quickly get city-raider promo. Love using him, hate fighting him during this time period.

Impi swarms. With all the flanking, cover, and movement bonuses they are really difficult to focus kill before they withdraw, not too mention they are really powerful on top of this. My knights, crossbowmen, and pikemen/swordsmen were no match the first time I met them. Probably the hardest spammer to stop due to the OP flank bonuses though and his massive -50% cost on supporting them means that many more. The typical strategy of a few elite units with strong cities and ranged inside is worthless. He can easily pillage enough to keep himself up in health while attacking cities and due to the exp bonus the impi quickly get city-raider promo. Love using him, hate fighting him during this time period.

I never seem to start beside shaka, he is rarely in my game at all! I have howver had the misfourtune of spawning on a smallish landmass with Dido, Attila and Genghis

I don't like Pikes. They feel unfairly strong to me and I THINK they shouldn't be stronger as the Swordsman, who is on a worse tech path and requires Iron. They are spammed by the AI, making horse units next to useless (Moreso then they already are), and their upgrade is horrid. I'd like it if either the Swords got buffed, or the Pikes got a strength downgrade but an upgrade in their anti-horse strength.
Let alone Pike UU's...

Any kind of air unit. Ever. Sit back and watch your assault fall to (or at least be severely crippled by) enemy bombers... and your antibomber fighters being shot down by other fighters. :mad:

From the earliest onward:

1. Handaxe: An A-hole that my warriors fear, even spearmen to some degree.
2. That unit that retreats.
3. Mohawk warrior, they don't seem to have a habit of dying at all, just sit there in the forests getting bombarded and attacked, healing completely once in a while...
4. Agree with pikes, they just ruin everything and have the best upgrade path. What is the point of having heavy infantry (swordsmen) if one can just rush to pikes and show middle finger to all! Make them a separate dead end path and/or weaker, specifically or only able for countering Horses! That or simply dead end would be a good nerf to spamming them and breezing over to great war infantry without even bothering with lower section of tech tree.
5. Narusean elephants are pals with mohawk warriors.

Those are that first come to mind, I'm sure there are more.

There is something that could be said about Assyrian siege apparatus, but when I see it rolling, I'm not hatin'... coz it's over with so fast, there's no time to get annoyed.

4. Agree with pikes, they just ruin everything and have the best upgrade path. What is the point of having heavy infantry (swordsmen) if one can just rush to pikes and show middle finger to all! Make them a separate dead end path and/or weaker, specifically or only able for countering Horses! That or simply dead end would be a good nerf to spamming them and breezing over to great war infantry without even bothering with lower section of tech tree.

Well Lancers are pretty terrible and are somewhat of a dead end path...
I would add a -15% penalty attacking to pikes to make swordsmen useful on the offense. Plus it makes sense for pikemen to be better at defending.

On topic, I have a strong hate of Pathfinder, if I see one i know i won't have any more goody ruins :/

Well Lancers are pretty terrible and are somewhat of a dead end path...
I would add a -15% penalty attacking to pikes to make swordsmen useful on the offense. Plus it makes sense for pikemen to be better at defending.

On topic, I have a strong hate of Pathfinder, if I see one i know i won't have any more goody ruins :/

Wait, they don't get upgraded to great war infantry... :confused: What is wrong with me...

Anyway, they're still annoying, too powerful and lower section of the tech still can be ignored till great war infantry because of them, so my point still stands. :)

Air units, because it takes so long for their animations to play out. While the patch that allowed you to send them in a queue is nice, the AI doesn't do that.

Worker units, because even now, so many patches later, they sometimes wake from whatever task they were doing for no apparent reason, and you have to remember what they were building, or mouseover build times to work it out.

Air units, because it takes so long for their animations to play out. While the patch that allowed you to send them in a queue is nice, the AI doesn't do that.

yup, if I hadn't already quick combat enabled, at modern era the lengthy animation leaves no choice.
Quick combat can divide your gametime by almost two, if you like to play fst it's a must.

Chariot archers drive me up the wall... but not when the AI builds them (I love seeing that). I hate when i rush build one (or rush buy one for lack of funds for a better unit) and am reminded of how useless they are. Weak ranged attack, and easy to destroy. Build composite bows instead.

Anything that survives a round with < 10hp and then instant-heals back to kill one of your units. Everything else is fair game.

yup, if I hadn't already quick combat enabled, at modern era the lengthy animation leaves no choice.
Or, there's this mod:
Faster Aircraft Animations
Doesn't effect saved games and doubles Aircraft animation speed (and there's a file you can edit to increase that factor even more.

Top Bottom