Alexander destroying me through world congress

Artifex1

Warlord
Alex has 20 votes and I kind of ignored the diplomacy because I have the victory turned off.

He single handedly got world ideology order passed and I am freedom along with most the other world.

I am right behind him in score he is like at 1700 i am at 1600.

I have a science lead and tourism lead. but now I went form 8 happiness to 15 unhappiness and rebels due to his passing this..world congress convenes in 10 turns.

all my freedom allies now have revolutionary waves on the culture screen.

I have only 4 votes.

I got 266 gold a turn.

In general am I screwed for neglecting the diplomacy and focusing on culture and science?

Should I just quit?

not sure if this is right file...

Attachments

• Ahmad al-Mansur_0379 AD-1959.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
If you ignore CS and focus on other things there is a way to control Alex that is to bribe him to fight everyone else and bribe everyone else to fight him. Soon you will find that his CSes disappear.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Use spies to coup some of his city states.

4 out of five times Alexander has reached Renaissance, the turn after he builds the Forbidden Palace. I'm both irritated and impressed.

declare war on him if u have the army or try to get people to war him.
I always wipe him off the map first and refuse to befriend him any time i play

I checked your game & it is far from over for you. There are a couple of things you can do to make it right.

1. Buy a luxury from Korea using your GPT, it will cost you 3 times more than normal because he has only one copy. but you'll quickly get out of your red unhappiness. Or rush-buy stadiums & other happiness buildings if possible.
  2. You are using your spies wrong. Keep one in your capital, 2 in Thebes & Athens as diplomats for tourism boost & the rest in mercentile CS for rigging elections & couping. Keep in mind to put your best spies in CS for better effect.
  3. You have a reasonably strong navy. Expand it, and then overrun Athens with it to destroy Alex's power After that you may just pillage his lands to stunt his growth.
  4. Throw a lot of money to CS to keep them out of Alex's hands. But first you would need to weaken him enough so that he doesn't buy them back again & again.

I think overall the best way to contain Alex is buy out his CS. This takes a long time and you have to start early, but by Industrial you should be able to over take him in terms of alliances. But, you have to start earlier. Since you have decent gpt now, I think you can still buy him out.

This simply means you've overexpanded/neglected culture or tourism.

Change your ideology and everything will be fine in 2 turns.

Actually I first sold Tangier to Alex (the only one who has substantial money) for embassy.
Then I sold him the two Japanese cities you had for a combined 200+ gpt or so.

This allows you to build NVC, and do whatever you want.
Now your happiness is +13 and you are free to go on and win the game (although probably not culturally as you took way too long and now Greece has 50k culture (and 33k gold, in short, you are pretty much screwed) and you have 6 red modifiers with them (so no OB definitely not).

btw -50% unhappiness and +50% to golden age should've been taken rather than urbanization (a useless policy by far)
Although if you take 379 turns even on Emperor even the pathetic emperor AI will start to have some winning threats, try your best to complete the spaceship before someone else does.

Impressive how Alex can still dominate through the World Congress even when diplomatic victory is disabled.

This guy really has to be either eliminated or cut down to size in almost every game he's in.

Actually I first sold Tangier to Alex (the only one who has substantial money) for embassy.
Then I sold him the two Japanese cities you had for a combined 200+ gpt or so.

This allows you to build NVC, and do whatever you want.
Now your happiness is +13 and you are free to go on and win the game (although probably not culturally as you took way too long and now Greece has 50k culture (and 33k gold, in short, you are pretty much screwed) and you have 6 red modifiers with them (so no OB definitely not).

btw -50% unhappiness and +50% to golden age should've been taken rather than urbanization (a useless policy by far)
Although if you take 379 turns even on Emperor even the pathetic emperor AI will start to have some winning threats, try your best to complete the spaceship before someone else does.

I always took suffrage first... urbanization was taken if I remember since I had nothing better to choose at the time.

I feel like with 250+ gpt you can fight back - that's 50-75 points of CS favor you can buy every 4 turns. That, plus a couple spies reducing Alex's influence, plus a couple quests (by the industrial era you should be able to out-produce everyone else in at least one or two areas, science, faith, culture, whatever) and you'll peel off a few CS's pretty soon. Not for the next vote, but surely for the one after that. You don't need many - a quarter of CS's plus the other Freedom civs should be enough to change the world ideology.

Then just pound his butt into the dirt...

Top Bottom