Best Religious Civs Without Explicit Faith Advantage

Blueboots

Chieftain
I apologize if the title is a bit confusing. Just to clarify, I'm looking for people's recommendations for civilizations that have an early/consistent faith advantage without having an explicit faith UB or UA.

For example, Morocco has consistent desert tiles to utilize for faith. The Netherlands and India usually have stone from their grassland bias. Which ones do you use for a religious game at Emperor or above?

Egypt for being able to build faith wonders quicker. Poland being able to take piety without slowing down other SPs. Rome for being able to set up shrines and temples in satellite cities quicker. Etc..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Ethiopia has a early faith advantage with a stele which have +2 fpt included to the default +2 cpt..

An early advantage. Hmm. I'll say Russia because they have extra hammers and can get faster cities and shrines/temples if they want them.

I agree about Poland, but I think its borderline because of UA.

Spain. Consistent start near a NW, and they get double. Although I'm hearing that start bias may not be so true in now in BNW.

Ethiopia has a early faith advantage with a stele which have +2 fpt included to the default +2 cpt..

He said no faith UB

I would say Arabia is very good for founding and spreading, as well as Spain (for obvious reasons)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I agree about Poland, but I think its borderline because of UA.

In my game, Poland AI always found their own religion and spread them like plague.
Can't help that he always has the extra SP to full the Piety tree, without crippling his other sector.
They can overrun world congress and befriended all CS even thou there are Greece and Siam in my game.
They can overrun and conquer almost half of the world with his UU.
With God of Open Sky, he is one of the most difficult to conquer via cultural.

Tell me what is Poland bad at.

I'd add Venice as a niche-Civilization, at least on Emporer and (with a good starting location) Immortal they're really strong, although they use religion quite different than everyone else. They don't have to build a settler, so they can fit Stonehenge into their BO with less severe impact, than it would be for any other Civ. They're also guaranteed to get a coastal city, so they can spread their religion with (double the amount of) cargo ships.

Why not use Hiawatha or something? You get free movement from forest/jungles in the borders as roads which helps for earlier city connections, as well as spreading your religion between your cities faster.. if that is what you're asking

Spain. Consistent start near a NW....
It's not consistent. Sometimes you're lucky and find 2 NW nearby, other times the only NW(on your continent) is on the other side of your continent. In saying that Spain seems to have a higher chance of spawning near a NW than any other civ.

I consider Desert Start to be an explicit faith advantage.
So Arabia and Morocco are out of this argument

Anyone can get lucky and befriend a Religious CS, I guess Siam has an advantage here tho.

Anyone can get lucky and find a Religious Wonder, I guess Spain has an advantage here tho.

uh, Brasil?

I'd add Venice as a niche-Civilization, at least on Emporer and (with a good starting location) They're also guaranteed to get a coastal city, so they can spread their religion with (double the amount of) cargo ships.

I dont think sea trade route double religion pressure. It is always +6 pressure flat if the destination city is in your religion influence range (6 hexes from city adopting your religion, more with enhancer belief). Probably it is the grand temple that double the religion pressure, so the cargo ship from your holy city give +12 pressure.

To the OP, I would like to add Egypt, if you are able to wonder whoring all the faith wonder.

Babylon and Korea might be indirect religious contenders because they surge ahead in speed and can work on the hagia sophia earlier.

Any civ that happens to get a good desert start, a decent tundra start or has stone, silver, gems, or gold near their city has a chance of getting a religion if they grab those respective pantheons as soon as possible.

Sweden. Tundra bias for Dance of the Aurora, and you can gift a GP to a faith CS.

Top Bottom