Is Civ V finally worthy?

Well, that goes back to the point that 'unacceptable' has a necessary implication that it isn't acceptable, obviously. It is certainly acceptable, as can be seen by the fact that many people play the game. If these people did not accept the state of the UI as it is, then they would not play the game.

My argument isn't that the UI isn't crap (though I don't have much of a problem with it). It's that complaining about it being 'unacceptable' is completely misusing the word to overreact to a deficiency.

Fair enough. I guess I'm looking at it more from the perspective that what's unacceptable is that these areas of the game have digressed compared to previous incarnations in the series.

It's that complaining about it being 'unacceptable' is completely misusing the word to overreact to a deficiency.

Well, if this 'deficiency' causes people actually to not buy (or even after buying to not play) the game - I'd say it's quite appropriate for those people to call it 'unacceptable'...

My favourite element of Civ IV, and one that many people pine for - dynamic cultural borders and occasional cultural takeover of cities - is one of the least realistic mechanics Civ has ever introduced, and as far as "historical" flavour is concerned, it has essentially none (since it doesn't approximate anything that has historical precedent) - it was just a lot of fun, and hugely flavourful gamewise.

Some very good points in your post - and this is a very good example. No city population ever said "heck, we are so Russian, Chinese, American, Roman or whatever, let's switch sides." However this game mechanic from my point of view is a good, proper and flavoured abstraction of what has been and is still going on in many parts of the world: native population beeing suppressed and displaced and land slowly beeing taken over without really fighting an open war. Btw. this mechanism works best if you conquer a city and have to avoid native resistence making it flip back. I think there are many real world examples for THIS situation.

Top Bottom