More Civilisations

We're working on all of the above, it's just a matter of time (and that we don't have any idea what's actually causing the distillery bug)

In the meantime though, we still need decisions for Pergamon and Macedon - if anyone has any ides I'd love to hear them

For Pergamon what about something relating to the Pergamon Altar or the Magna Mater? I could understand how art pressures might make the first something of a long shot though. Dying Gaul Great work pls?

I've no idea for Alexander's decisions asides from something to do with Hellenization - though I can see that being part of a UA. If Phillip II was the leader, an event about his Horse winning the Olympics would be a must :p

Edit: Something referring to Alexander's audience with the Oracle at Siwa could work, as in his eyes it 'confirmed' his divine parentage and so on. Could be too specific, but I don't really know much about Alexander's reign asides from the military aspect :p

Is this the checkerboard graphic thing? Leugi did figure it out and fixed the issue for Champa's well (1). Checking through my thread, though, while he posted the fix he never said what caused the problem. Anyway, it seems to be something that needs to be fixed with the model itself and for that you need Leugi (or at least for him to post his files for the improvement), either of which might need a miracle for it to happen :/

The problem is, it only occurs on some computers. None of us got the bug when we were testing, and it only showed up when we released it. Only model files are the same ones as in the current public build, and Leugi's since disappeared so we can't get him to fix it. If you could take a look that'd be awesome.

The problem is, it only occurs on some computers. None of us got the bug when we were testing, and it only showed up when we released it. Only model files are the same ones as in the current public build, and Leugi's since disappeared so we can't get him to fix it. If you could take a look that'd be awesome.

Isn't it to do with graphics cards? I've got the problem with my AMD, and I was under the impression that that was what was causing it.

That's what we thought, but we've also had reports of it on nVidia cards. Marbozir fixed it by disabling the shadows, so it may be something to do with that side of things. Either way, I think the best course of action is a new model, but we'd need someone willing to do it

That's what we thought, but we've also had reports of it on nVidia cards. Marbozir fixed it by disabling the shadows, so it may be something to do with that side of things. Either way, I think the best course of action is a new model, but we'd need someone willing to do it

Turns out trying to export the model is harder than I initially thought :p This may take some time. I'll run a quick test on my Nvidia just to see if I get the flicker or Klisz's Megatron cube. In terms of creating a new model, the very best is DJSHenninger.

Edit: I get the error that Marbizor did, flicking when completed. Perhaps the worse your graphics card is, the more frightening the result :3 I'll keep trying to export this model and have a look.

Edit 2: Opening the model in the Granny Viewer shows that the top of the windmill and some of the sides are freaking out, model wise. There's probably some overlap and UV points that aren't properly hooked up. ...That said, I did just discover that there appears to be two windmill models inside of each other. Since I am not familiar with Civ 5 modding, is this common practice? Because when I hide of them, the model flickering stops.

So the City-States pedias have to be 3-4 paragraphs!?

I started working on them, and made them only one paragraph..

Here they are:
Spoiler :
Miletus
Miletus was a city located in southwestern Anatolia (present-day Turkey). The site of the city was originally inhabited by a Neolithic population in the period 3500-3000 BC. Miletus was first mentioned in the records of the Hittite Empire and the Mycenaean records of Pylos and Knossos, during the Late Bronze Age. Starting around 1900 BC, Minoan trade goods arrived at Miletus. There was legend claiming the city’s foundation by the Cretans, as recounted by Strabo. Miletus was a Mycenaean stronghold from ca. 1450 to 1100 BC. In c. 1320 BC, the city supported an anti-Hittite rebellion in nearby Arzawa. Hittite king Mursili ordered his generals to raid Millawanda (as Miletus was called at the time), and they proceeded to burn parts of it. During the collapse of Bronze Age civilization, Miletus was burnt again. Myths tell of Ionians killing the men of Miletus and marrying their widows, beginning an enduring alliance between Athens and Miletus. It ended up as one of the twelve Ionian cities of Asia Minor. Miletus is also known to have ties with Megara. In the late 7th century BC, the tyrant Thrasybulus preserved the independence of Miletus during a 12-year war fought against Lydia. The city was an important center of philosophy and science, producing men like Thales, Anaximander, and Anaximenes. By the 6th century BC, Miletus had a maritime empire with colonies. It fell under Persian rule after Cyrus defeated Croesus of Lydia in the middle of the 6th century BC. In 499 BC, Milesian tyrant Aristagoras led the Ionian revolt against the Persians. It was quashed and Miletus was punished by Persia. The women and children were sold into slavery, and the men were either killed or turned into eunuchs. The intent was to make sure no Milesians were ever born again. In 334 BC, the city was liberated from Persian rule by Alexander the Great. During the Hellenistic period, Miletus reached its greatest extent. The city was mentioned in the New Testament as the site where the Apostle Paul met with the elders of the church of Ephesus, near the end of his third missionary journey in 57 AD. It seems like Paul made another visit to Miletus, perhaps as late as 65 or 66 AD. During the Byzantine period, the see of Miletus was raised to an archbishopric and later a metropolitan bishopric. A small castle was built on the hill next to the city. Seljuk Turks conquered the city during the 14th century, using it as a port for trade with Venice. As the harbor became silted up, Miletus was abandoned. The ruins of the city now lie some 10 km (6.2mi) from the sea. The first archaeological excavations at the site were conducted in 1873, and still continue today. The Market Gate of Miletus was transported piece by piece to Germany, currently residing at the Pergamon museum in Berlin. The main collection of artifacts from the site are in the Miletus Museum in Didim, Turkey.

Spoiler :
Delphi
Delphi was a city in central Greece, known for its oracle. It started to have a pan-Hellenic relevance as both a shrine and an oracle in the 7th century BC. The Delphic Oracle was consulted before major undertakings, such as wars, and the founding of colonies. Delphi was reclaimed by the Athenians during the First Sacred War (597-585 BC). This conflict resulted in the consolidated of the Amphictyonic League, which had both a military and a religious function centered around the protection of the Temple of Apollo. The shrine was destroyed by fire in 548 BC. The Second Sacred War (449-448 BC) resulted in the Phocians gaining control of Delphi and the management of the Pythian Games. In 356 BC, the Phocians, led by Philomelos, captured and sacked Delphi, leading to the Third Sacred War (356-346 BC). This conflict ended with the defeat of the Phocians, and the rise of Macedon under the reign of Philip II. In Delphi, Macedonian ruled was superseded by the Aetolians in 279 BC, and by the Romans in 191 BC. The site was sacked by Lucius Cornelius Sulla in 86 BC, during the Mithridatic Wars, and by the Emperor Nero in 66 AD. A Thracian tribe also raided the sanctuary in 83 BC, stealing the “unquenchable fire” from the altar. The Oracle fell into decay and the surrounding area became impoverished. Roman Emperor Hadrian is believed to have visited Delphi twice, offering complete autonomy to the city. Constantine the Great looted several of the monuments to decorate his new capital, Constantinople. Despite the rise of Christianity across the Roman Empire, the oracle remained a religious center throughout the 4th century, and the Pythian Games continued to be held at least until 424 AD. A large three-aisled basilica was built in the city, in addition to a church building in the sanctuary’s former gymnasium. Delphi was abandoned in the 6th or 7th centuries, but a single bishop of Delphi is attested in an episcopal list of the late 8th/early 9th centuries. During the Ottoman period, the village of Kastri was founded on the site. Before a systematic excavation of the archeological site could be undertaken, the village had to be relocated. However, the residents resisted. An earthquake damaged the village, and the villagers were offered a completely new village in exchange for the old one. In 1893, the French Archaeological School removed substantial quantities of soil from numerous landslides to uncover the major buildings and structures of the sanctuary of Apollo and of Athena Pronoia, as well as numerous artifacts. Now a UNESCO world heritage site, Delphi is popular with tourists.

Spoiler :
Ephesus
Ephesus was a city located in Western Anatolia (modern day Turkey). The area surrounding it was already inhabited during the Neolithic Age (circa 6000 BC). During the Bronze Age, it may have been called Apasa, the capital of the Kingdom of Arzawa mentioned in Hittite sources. In 1954, a burial ground dating from the Mycenaean era (1500-1400 BC) was discovered close to the ruins of the basilica of St. John. Ephesus was founded as an Attic-Ionian colony in the 10th century BC on the Ayasuluk Hill. The mythical founder of the city was a prince of Athens, Androklos, who had to leave his home city after the death of his father. According to legend, he founded Ephesus on the spot where the Delphian oracle’s pronouncement became reality. The Artemis worshipped at Ephesus was a fusion of the Greek goddess Artemis and the Anatolian goddess Kybele. Her statue was many-breasted and venerated in the Temple of Artemis, one of the ancient Seven Wonders of the World. Circa 650 BC, Ephesus was attacked by the Cimmerians. After they were driven away, the city was ruled by a series of tyrants. A council ruled it after a revolt. Notable figures who came from the city included the elegiac poet Callinus, the iambic poet Hipponax, the philosopher Heraclitus, the great painter Parrhasius, the grammarian Zenodotos, and the physicians Soranus and Rufus. Around 560 BC, Ephesus was conquered by the Lydians led by King Croesus, who treated the people with respect and became a main contributor to the reconstruction of the temple of Artemis. After the defeat of Lydia by the Persians, the Ionians offered to make peace. Cyrus insisted they surrender and become part of the empire. They were defeated by the Persian general Harpagos in 547 BC, with the Greek cities of Asia Minor incorporated into the Achaemenid Empire. When taxes were raised under Cambyses II and Darius, the Ephesians participated in the Ionian Revolt against Persian rule in the Battle of Ephesus (498 BC). In 479 BC, the Ionians, together with Athens, were able to oust the Persians from the shores of Asia Minor. The next year, the Ionian cities formed the Delian League with Athens against the Persians. During the Peloponnesian War, Ephesus was first allied to Athens, but later sided with Sparta (which had received the support of the Persians). The cities of Ionia were ceded to Persia. In 356 BC, the temple of Artemis was burnt down, by an arsonist named Herostratus according to legend. An even larger and grander one was built in its place. After Alexander the Great defeated the Persians at the Battle of Granicus in 334 BC, the Greek cities in Asia Minor were liberated. Seeing that the temple of Artemis was not yet completed, he proposed to finance it and have his name inscribed on the front. The Ephesians did not accept his proposal, claiming that it was not fitting for one god to build a temple to another. After Alexander’s death in 323 BC, Ephesus came under the rule of one of his generals, Lysimachus in 290 BC. The river Cayster silted the harbor and the resulting marshes caused malaria among the people. They were forced to move to a new settlement two kilometres (1.2miles) away, officially named Arsinoea after Lysimachus’ second wife. Lysimachus was defeated and killed at the Battle of Corupedium in 281 BC. The town was again named Ephesus and it became part of the Seleucid Empire. Ptolemy III invaded and Ephesus fell under Egyptian rule between 263 and 197 BC. When Seleucid King Antiochus III the Great tried to regain the Greek cities in Asia Minor, he came into conflict with Rome. He was eventually defeated by Scipio Asiaticus at the Battle of Magnesia in 190 BC. Ephesus came under the rule of the Attalid King of Pergamon, Eumenes II. When his grandson Attalus III died without a male heir, he left his kingdom to the Roman Empire. Taxes rose considerably and the treasures of the city were plundered. In 88 BC, Ephesus welcomed Archelaus, a general of Mithridates the Great, king of Pontus, when he conquered Roman Asia. Around 80,000 Roman citizens were slaughtered. When the Ephesians saw how badly the people of Chios were treated by another of Mithridates’ general Zenobius, they refused entry to their city to his army. Ephesus became for a time, self-governing. After the defeat of Mithridates by Roman consul Lucius Cornelius Sulla, Ephesus went back to Roman rule in 86 BC. Sulla imposed a huge indemnity, along with five years of back taxes. When Augustus became emperor in 27 BC, he made Ephesus the capital of proconsular Asia. The city entered an era of prosperity, becoming the seat of the governor and a major center of commerce. Strabo claimed it was second in importance and size only to Rome. The population of Ephesus at this time is calculated to be between 138,000 and 172,500, with an alternate estimate giving the city a range of 33,600 to 56,000 inhabitants. The city was known for its Temple of Artemis, the Library of Celsus, and a theater capable of holding 25,000 spectators (later used for gladiatorial combat). Ephesus was sacked by the Goths in 263 AD, marking the decline of the city’s splendor. The Emperor Constantine I rebuilt much of the city and erected a new public bath. The Basilica of St. John was built during the reign of Emperor Justinian I in the 6th century. The importance of the city as a commercial center declined as the harbor was slowly silted up by the river. The ruins of the temples were used as building blocks for new homes. Sacks by the Arabs in the years 654-655 and in 700 and 716 hastened the city’s decline further. When the Seljuk Turks conquered Ephesus in 1090, it was but a small village. The Byzantines resumed control in 1097 and kept it until 1304. The town surrendered to a Turkish warlord, Sasa Bey. Contrary to the terms of the surrender, the Turks pillaged the church of St. John and deported most of the local population to Thyrea, Greece. The town experienced a short period of prosperity during the 14th century under the Seljuks. Ephesus was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire for the first time in 1390. After the defeat of the Ottomans by Tamerlane in 1402, the region reverted back to the Anatolian beyliks. It was once more incorporated into the Ottoman Empire in 1425. By the 15th century, Ephesus was completely abandoned. In 1863, the British architect John Turtle Wood, with the sponsorship of the British Museum, began to search for the Temple of Artemis. The pavement was discovered in 1869, but excavations stopped in 1874. In 1895, German archaeologist Otto Benndorf resumed excavations at Ephesus. In 1898, he founded the Austrian Archaeological Institute, which plays a leading role in Ephesus today. Finds from the site are exhibited in the Ephesos Museum in Vienna, the Ephesus Archaeological Museum in nearby Selçuk, and the British Museum. In 2015, Ephesus was declared a World Heritage Site. It is a popular tourist attraction in the area.

Edit 2: Opening the model in the Granny Viewer shows that the top of the windmill and some of the sides are freaking out, model wise. There's probably some overlap and UV points that aren't properly hooked up. ...That said, I did just discover that there appears to be two windmill models inside of each other. Since I am not familiar with Civ 5 modding, is this common practice? Because when I hide of them, the model flickering stops.

Ship models in Civ 5 tend to have two models overlapping, one for a "damaged" state and the other for an "intact" state. It looks like the windmill might have some pieces for a pillaged state, so I wonder if that's why there's two windmills?

In the meantime though, we still need decisions for Pergamon and Macedon - if anyone has any ides I'd love to hear them

Hmmm maybe something related to the incorporation of the religion of his conquered subjects (Egypt) for Alex? It could grant you the title 'son of the gods' or a variation thereof, and make it easier to conquer or assimilate any future city with that religion? Requirement being you conquer their holy city.
Although if it is possible to have the 'religious tolerance' bonus only in specific cities, that would probably be a more logical reward.

Now that I think about it his pilgrimage to the Oracle of Ammon could possibly grant him the the title 'son of the gods' instead, granting faith from winning battles. Since his divinity coincided with his skill for conquest.

That or maybe just patronage for neglected religious buildings in his conquered cities, granting some extra yields for buildings that are still standing, or maybe for building new ones. I'd say the culture yield would be most appropriate for his patronage on the long neglected Egyptian religious buildings and way of life under the Persians.

I hope the Gordian knot gets referenced somewhere :D

You could also have something to do with Alexander's efforts to settle Greek Colonists throughout Asia - something to encourage a wide playstyle and the settling of a city named after your horse? :p

Also, congrats on reaching 200 pages lads, heres to many more!

Hey maybe the use and production of parchment by Pergamon to counter the Ptolemaic blockade of papyri outside Egypt to quell the Pergamonan library becoming too prominent. Could grant extra science from libraries, or maybe it just makes the capital's library really good if the latter is too overpowered.

Took 200 pages but it is almost there, cant wait! :D

Top Bottom