AW's New Civilizations | The Sixteen Nation Project [G&K/BNW]

How should the Berbers be updated?

• Total voters
Yeah, just learned how to get dropbox. :) It wouldn't have worked in two parts anyway, since the music won't compress.

EDIT: When I attach the link to dropbox it actually takes you to dropbox, can't figure how to make it not do that...

In the dropbox folder on your computer (you need to install the program, not just have an online thing), if you right click on your file there's an option to 'share dropbox link'. This will link to a download page for the file.

Lol yeah... I really need to learn how to use dropbox. I'll have to use it for all my next mods, as music effectively doubles the size of my mods...

Anyway, may I present: The Zapotec Civilization!
Spoiler :

Now available for download!
(Finally!)

Okay, so it's time to start adding music to my mods! And I'll do that along with other updates too. So what I have so far:

SWITZERLAND:
- Add music
- reduce friendly territory combat bonus from 40% to 25%
- add -25% enemy spy effectiveness in all cities
- remove awkward text spacing in civilopedia

BERBERS:
- Add music
- nerf the takoba so it doesn't get, like, 6 moves per turn in desert
- add actually functional lua. Yep, I found out it doesn't actually work. :sad:

HARAPPANS:
- Add music
- update art so it doesn't look like it was made by a 2-year old learning to use GIMP
- remove the fourth wall reference in the civilopedia Parashu axeman entry

MINOANS:
- Add music
- Remove quinquereme civilopedia entry

Anything else?

And one other thing - I need to pick between three civs to do next, so I'll let you guys decide:
Option 1) :c5faith: The Kingdom of Georgia - nearly done except for some lua problems and possibly some CTDs

Option 2) :c5production: Taiwanese Republic - nearly done except for some strange lua issues and unfinished civilopedia entries

Option 3) Either :c5culture: Most Serene Italian Republics or :c5culture: Inuit Civilization - no progress on either, and I'm trying to figure out what to do for them.

So now I've been able to resolve the many lua issues of the Taiwan mod (due to some careless mistakes in forgetting to set updatedatabase entries for related files) so I'll probably get that done soon. Maybe tomorrow... maybe Wednesday Thursday, I don't know exactly when. :dunno: But it should be done very soon. :goodjob:

EDIT: D'oh, I meant Thursday.

Well, I wasn't able to get it out as soon as I had hoped, but now available for release is The Taiwanese Republic!
(I'll get some graphic spoilers out soon)

So next on the list will be one of the following:

Option 1) :c5faith: The Kingdom of Georgia - Nearly done except with some lua issues and a possible CTD

Option 2) :c5culture: The Most Serene Italian Republics - Basically, renaissance Italy - which will be a problem, since I'll somehow have to meld all the small independent republics into 1 civ. This will be especially difficult with the BNW version, since a venetian civ already exists...

Option 3) :c5culture: The Inuits - No idea what I'll do for this. No idea for the UA, but at least I have a city list. Have an idea for the UU, but should I add another UU or a UB? And if it's a UB, should it be an igloo or an inuksuk? I don't know! :dunno:

I vote the Kingdom of Georgia.
Excellent! I'll get right to work trying to resolve the CTD. Right now lua is my biggest issue.

Also, v4 for the Swiss mod is out now! Lots of changes made in the update, as the version history puts it:
Swiss Mod Version History said:
v4 - Awkward text spacing removed. New DOM screen that shows up like it's supposed to. UA gives +25% friendly territory combat instead of +40%, also -15% enemy spy effectiveness in your cities added. Music added.

Hey, AW, have you added generic regional (Like Europe, Middle East, etc.) music yet?

Nope. I actually only know how to add music to one particular civ, and only after having read Leugi's tutorial. That, combined with the fact that it's already challenging to find good music for one civ, I wouldn't know where to begin to find music to represent a whole continent... :crazyeye:

Okay... So I'm having massive trouble with Georgia's UA right now, so it probably won't be released for a while :(... unless any of you guys know how to spawn a missionary with lua and actually have it carry a religion with it....

So instead I made an update for the Minoan mod. To quote the version history:
Minoan Mod Version History said:
v2 - Added music. Pentekonter help text file fixed and quinquereme removed from the civilopedia.
It's certainly less exciting then a new civilization. :sad:

So! Since Georgia won't be out for a very long time, (to put it in perspective: if the UA had worked the very first time I tested it, Georgia would have been released 2 - 3 months ago. :/ )
it's time to start working on a cultural civ. I've decided on the Inuits - Italy has way too many complications for me to sort out any time soon.
And with that in mind, I need some opinions on what to do for the UB and UU.

The UB will be either an igloo (very iconic, will probably replace granary) or an inuksuk (very culturally correct, will probably replace monument):

And as a UU I'll probably do some kind of harpoon or an Inuit bowman (cable-backed bowman?)
..couldn't find an image that wasn't in black and white, so if anyone can point me in the right direction - thanks in advance! No, I don't want anyone to art for me - I do all my own art, BTW - I'm just wondering if anyone has found a picture of an Inuit with a spear or bow in color. I certainly can't.

But anyway - yeah, Georgia won't be released any time soon, but the Inuits? Possibly...
just need to think of some UA, UU and UB abilities though. :lol:

IMPORTANT EDIT:
Spoiler SPOILER ALERT :
NOTICE: This spoiler is no longer valid.

:confused: Private? I don't think so... of course, I barely know how dropbox works so I wouldn't know how to check whether it's private or not. :lol: Care to elaborate? I can download it, so I'm afraid that I have no idea what you're talking about...

Well, can you download it, when you're logged out from dropbox?
When you upload to dropbox you need to publish the link and then go on copy link or something like this, an it'll automatically copy the link for you to paste it where you want it.
It could also be me who's wrong, since I don't use dropbox that often.. I only know that Dropbox is giving me an error when I click the link.

Oh, yeah. :blush: sorry about that. I logged out of dropbox and got the error too, so I'll have to figure out how to make the link public.
...Which means the link doen't work not only for Switzerland, but also Taiwan, the Minoans, AND zapotecs...

EDIT: Okay, I checked all the dropbox links and only Switzerland and the Minoans don't work, but Taiwan and the Zapotecs do. So I just need to figure out what I'm doing differently there.

EDIT2: Okay, I think I got all the links working, try downloading the mod again.

:c5culture: The Most Serene Italian Republics - Basically, renaissance Italy - which will be a problem, since I'll somehow have to meld all the small independent republics into 1 civ. This will be especially difficult with the BNW version, since a venetian civ already exists...

Instead of the Republics of Italy, I would probably just create the Republic of Florence, as Florence was the capital of the Renaissance. Maybe a cultural/science and gold based civ, reflecting the Renaissance and also the fact that, for the most part, Florence was ruled by a bank.

Instead of the Republics of Italy, I would probably just create the Republic of Florence, as Florence was the capital of the Renaissance. Maybe a cultural/science and gold based civ, reflecting the Renaissance and also the fact that, for the most part, Florence was ruled by a bank.
Yeah, I was kind of thinking of doing a big conglomerate of all the republics, mostly so I could use Genoese Crossbowmen as a UU without having a whole civ revolving around Genoa. The civ was going to be cultural, but due to trouble finding a way to represent all the different republics in one civ, combined with the already existing Venice civ, I'm thinking of trashing the civ altogether. Maybe do the Himyarite Kingdom in its place?

Yes, now I could download it.
You did take the music I suggested to you. The Storm is really the best war music I could think of, but I don't think it really fits.. But I really have no better idea.

Oh btw, for the german translation: You're missing on the Text bits for the City-State replacements. In my BNW port, they are hidden, not in the 'text'-folder, but in the Update Files in the 'MinorCivs'-folder.

Hmm, the republics on their own (in my opinion) are a very BNW-thing to do (mainly because of the new trade mechanics) and a unified renaissance italy seems a bit strange to me, since these republics were like always at war. What I think is, if you want to do something with Genoa on G&K, some alternate history has to be involved, maybe do the lombard league (just act as if it lasted ;) As far as i know, it was very similar to Switzerland that time around, but just didn't really make it) But seriously, what is clearly missing is a Sicily civ.

I've been working on the sea republics for quite some time (See republic of Genoa for reference: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=207835676 ) and it was clear from the beginning i'll never do a G&K version of those. It's just very BNW in my eyes..

The Inuits are out!
Spoiler :

Unfortunately, to get it out this soon (as in, not in, say, another couple of weeks), I had to cut a few corners... :(
The inuksuk doesn't give the free promotion it's supposed to, and the alternate UB - the igloo - doesn't have functional lua, so that's been disabled. Machiavelli24 has suggested a solution in the SDK forums but quite frankly, I can't wrap my head around it. If anyone wants to help me solve the problem I'd be very thankful. You might consider reading the notes in Alternate/Lua/InuitBuildsBonus-Igloo.lua and XML/Buildings/BuildingInuksuk.xml.
So, since I didn't have time to playtest before releasing the civ, please tell me if you encounter any problems.

Moving right along...

I'd like to get the Kingdom of Georgia out sometime soon, but surprise surprise, the UA still isn't working. For those of you (which I'm assuming is all of you) who couldn't guess what it was based on the several threads about the subject that I've started, it's this:
Receive three free missionaries upon founding a religion.
It's supposed to represent Georgia being among the first countries ever to convert to Christianity, so I want the civ to get bonuses towards quickly spreading a religion through their empire. In retrospect, it might be a little weak, but it should work well along with the UB. The problem is... the missionaries appear, but don't have any religion to spread. If anyone would like to help me solve that problem too...

And I swear - it might seem extremely similar, but it was in no way copied off of JFD's Armenia. :lol: They have a lot in common - what I assume to be the reasoning behind the UA, and the basic idea of the UB. (His is called a "vant", mine is called and "eklesia", but they're pretty much the same thing) Properties of the modbuddy project list it as being created on 10/9/2013.

Still moving along...

I dropped the whole "Italy" thing. Too many problems. So I did some switching around and was able to change a production-based civ into a cultural civ (what Italy would've been) and added a new production civ. But I've said to much already.

And lastly...

Assuming the KoG isn't the next civ released, this one will be:

Any guesses as to what it will be?

43.75% done with Standard Set Civilization modding!
(Let's see who figures out exactly what that means...)

Looks like the Czech coat of arms so I'm guessing that it's the Czechoslovakia,Bohemia or maybe the Czech Republic.
Well, that was quick. :lol:
But yes, it is Bohemia, specifically medieval/renaissance time period.
Just out of curiosity - since you did recognize the symbol - how much would you happen to know about bohemia/Czech history?

Top Bottom