Gurra's Civilizations

Have you tried changing the Knights' color scheme to a slightly lighter shade of black, just so it looks less similar to the Buccaneers?

Seconding this idea. A (very) dark shade of grey will look just as nice and imposing without overlapping with pirate aesthetics.

That is a very good idea actually, so I made a new 'light black' colour scheme for the Knights (RGB 32/32/32).

Spoiler in-game comparison :

That's similar to Tomatekh's Harappa, no?

Have you tried changing the Knights' color scheme to a slightly lighter shade of black, just so it looks less similar to the Buccaneers?

Or also, say, white-colored city-states :p (this is why I think black as a background color should be avoided in general) I do like the icon, but in-game it's still a touch similar-ish - maybe try making the white a little more gray, and...making it just a touch blue-ish overall? Mostly taking that idea from...uh, Lego actually, their greys have some blue in it, the more you know!

Also Bolivia has a decision involving changing your capital - look at that one for reference in regards to your decision idea!

I mean the likes of Jerusalem and Cahokia were grey in a technical sense...but at 230s instead of 255s, which are notable if you reeeeeeally look at it, but basically not visible in a gameplay sense.

Hence why I still think the Buccaneers and Cornwall should adopt differing color schemes! I feel that it's part of the game design that those in-game with black as their primary background color are unplayable minors, so when you look on the map at a quick glance you can easily note what the state of the world is.

I'll second Gyra - I don't think black is a good color choice for a civ base color because of conflict with CS color schemes.

You bring up a valid point, when I see black on my minimap I usually think city-state so having a multitude of black civs around can be confusing for the eyes. I think I'll look into alternative colour schemes, but probably not stray too far away from black/white.

From one thing to another... since I apparently don't have the capability to finish a project before moving on to the next I have made a rough draft for another civ I might do, based on an idea that popped into my head tonight.

Republic of Cospaia

Leader: ???

Cospaia was anarchist in nature and had no leader except for a 'council of elders' but I have found no prominent members of said council. So I have no clue what to do for a leader.

UA: Firm and Eternal Liberty

Not totally sure what to do for a UA yet, Cospaia was a haven for smugglers due to its independent status so perhaps something to reflect that. Firm and Eternal Liberty is a translation of the republic's motto "Perpetua et firma libertas". Mostly a placeholder name but if it fits whatever UA I end up making I might keep it around because it sounds nice.

UI: Tobacco Farm/Plantation

Requires Currency and spawns a unique Tobacco luxury resource when built. Yields +2 gold and +2 culture (yields not set in stone but gold/culture sounded good).

I'm not sure about what restrictions to do for this improvement as I want to avoid giving the Cospaia player dozens of Tobacco resources. I currently have three ideas for this:

1. Build on top of normal plantation resources which turns that resource into a Tobacco resource.
2. Build on top of a farm that lies right next to a city, but there can't be two right next to each other.
3. Build on top of wheat which turns the resource into tobacco.

UB: Warehouse

Replaces Mint, +2 gold from Tobacco, Citrus, and Cocoa instead of Gold and Silver.

The idea being that Cospaia didn't do much mining but they planted tobacco and stuff to trade without restrictions. I don't know about Warehouse for a name, just didn't come up with anything better.

As you can see it's not very finished except for the tobacco part. I like the synergy of the UI/UB with the UB granting an extra bonus to Tobacco.

Maybe you could try making the black even lighter, and then see if it is still hard to tell from a city-state when looking at the minimap. Also, if I were you, I'd make a different icon for the unit, so it isn't the same as the civ's.

*Gurra sporadically appears*

I have some few short news which have already been mentioned in my updates post (post #2 in this thread) but nobody ever reads that but me so here we go (with extra details). :D

First, I'm discontinuing any tiny amount of work on that Romani civ. It was all built around a very general concept for a UA which I did not accomplish to code, and I really had no sense of which direction to take the civ in. I'm not one for Firaxis style cultural blobs (see Polynesia or the Celts) anyway and Romani culture deserves a better representation than I could ever give it.

Second of all, Sikh Empire will be getting a minor update in the near future. Mainly I'm adding support for more mods because I found my civ's entry on the Civ V Customisation Wiki and all those No's in the Mod Support list made me feel bad. :lol: There are many of those mods I don't play with myself however so I have no idea what much of the stuff is for. What I currently have added is Civ IV Traits support, Ranjit Singh is Aggressive/Spiritual (thoughts?), aswell as support for JFD's colonial city list code but I'm not sure which mod I should reference that to these days, if any. Please tell me what other mod support you'd like to see and how I can make it happen.

The Sikh Empire update will also contain some code edits in case I find something that needs fixing. One thing I found so far is that the Guru only had the Prophet UnitAI listed which I think means the AI will only ever use its general prophet actions. This seemed faulty since the Guru for players also has the added ability of creating great works of writing, so I added the Great Writer UnitAI to the unit. If this is a bad idea, feel free to tell me so.

Other than that, all I really need to make this mod perfect, at least in my eyes, is if I could sort out that Gurdwara icon bug which has been listed under Known issues ever since the mod's original release. The problem is that despite having supplied all necessary icon sizes there is no icon showing up in the construction menu, and I can't seem to find out why that is. Edit: Thanks to AW, now I do and it's fixed in the update!
Spoiler Gurdwara icon bug screenshot :

As far as the Knights Hospitaller and my Cospaia concept go: we'll see when I get around to them.

Other than that, all I really need to make this mod perfect, at least in my eyes, is if I could sort out that Gurdwara icon bug which has been listed under Known issues ever since the mod's original release. The problem is that despite having supplied all necessary icon sizes there is no icon showing up in the construction menu, and I can't seem to find out why that is..

(hint)

Dunno, I still would like to see a Romani civilization whose feature is that their cities move.

Dunno, I still would like to see a Romani civilization whose feature is that their cities move.

While one could describe it as their cities moving that's not exactly how I imagined it would work. My idea was basically that every time a city grows you don't instantly gain an extra pop in the city but instead a special Romani population unit appears which can do one of three things:

- Settle down in the city where it came from, increasing its population by 1 like it usually would.
- Settle down in another city, increasing that city's population by 1.
- Settle an all new Romani city with a population of 1.

It was an intriguing idea, inspired by whoward's refugee mod, but I'm far away from knowing how to code it (if it is even possible) and I had no solid ideas for pretty much everything else like leader, other uniques, city list, etc. Hence why I won't continue working on it.

Edit: Also I'm pretty certain the AI could never learn to actually handle that UA idea of mine.

Sikh Empire version 4 is now live, both here at CivFanatics and on the Steam Workshop. Links are in the first post of this thread.

Changelog:
- Gurdwara icon is fixed and now shows up in construction menu.
- Mod support has been added forCiv IV Traits, Ethnic Units/R.E.D. Modpack, Map Labels, and Unique Cultural Influence.
- Guru XML updated to help the AI understand it better.

This is a minor update so I haven't done much extensive testing. As far as I know there should be no fatal errors to be found but if you encounter any please share them.

Now that we're done with the Sikh for the moment, here's something from a new project I may or may not be working on (piling them up like a true modder):
Spoiler :

I've noticed something about your icons: you seem to be trying to use sukitract's template with GIMP. I'm sorry to tell you, but it doesn't work properly. If you'd like me to do it in Photoshop, just give me the alpha (preferably in the right color already) and I'll do it.

Or I made this template for GIMP - just plop your symbol in the middle layer labeled "symbol", give it a drop shadow, change the color layer to the color of choice and voila!

(I'm studying French and feel horrible for not adding the accent grave on that "a" :p But it's not easy on an American keyboard!)

And here I thought I'd finally learn how to make a decent civ icon. :lol: Here's my second try with AW's GIMP template:
Spoiler :

I'm not going to name this mystery civ just yet but I have a question relating to it. I'm planning a Great Musician replacement and I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if the game runs out of unique names for great people? Because this UU I have in mind only has three possible names - that's too few, right?

Top Bottom