Our World: Civilizations of the Modern Age Design Discussion

The Stasi is good.

This is one of those things you don't hear every day. :D

Personally, I really like the Civ being based around counter-espionage, if only because that's something that hasn't been done yet.

As with most civs here though it suffers from not doing much until Renaissance. Workers boosting production however should do more than enough to compensate that.

So, I saw you're in need of a South Korean UU. A very long time ago I messed around with the idea of a North-South Korea pack (that never went anywhere), and this is what I had for the UU (based upon a design someone whose name escapes me had proposed):

UU: Special Warfare Unit
Stronger than the Paratrooper it replaces, only 1 can exist at a time. Fights at full strength when embarked, and receives a 20% attacking bonus and extra movement when in enemy territory.
(Custom unit names: Unit 684 [on second thought, maybe not that name], Unit 124, 707th Special Mission Battalion, 1st Brigade, 3rd Brigade, 7th Brigade, 9th Brigade, 11th Brigade, 13th Brigade, 5th Special Mission Group)

South Korea has an interesting history with Special Forces, and while there already exist Special Forces mods, some of South Korea's guys are insane enough to demand inclusion on their own. An example from Operation Paul Bunyan: A 64-man South Korean special forces company accompanied them, armed with clubs and trained in Tae Kwon Do, supposedly without firearms. However, once they parked their trucks near the Bridge of No Return, they started throwing out the sandbags that lined the truck bottoms, and handing out M-16 rifles and M-79 grenade launchers that had been concealed below. Several of the special forces men also had Claymore mines strapped to their chests with the firing mechanism in their hands, and were shouting at the North Koreans to cross the bridge.

Thanks for the map! I will update OP with it along with updated icons when ready.

He seems like a good choice. Eli is doing most of the management of this civ. I'll leave it to him if he wants to change it!

Apologies for being late to the party, but I have to fundamentally disagree with a natural gas focus for Turkmenistan. Its the same issue I have with Arabias 'Double Oil resource' UA. Thing is, civs in general are supposed to represent all the things these peoples and polities did that was exceptional, the things they did better than any other people on earth. However, Turkmenistan doesn't have more advanced extraction methods than other peoples, it just happens to be situated on top of a whole load of Gas. I don't think its fair to imply that the number 1 thing these civs can do is be on top of gas. In fact, most of the natural gas extraction wasn't even done by Turkmen, but under Soviet rule by Russians!

I'd rather see a capital focus to represent the terrifying/hilarious cult of personality surrounding Turkmenbashi. The guy was fairly nuts and its a remarkably interesting part of modern Turkmen history and politics. I like all the designs which focus on it posted here - Scapes was realy interesting. That said, it never hurts to throw an extra design into the ring, right? I designed this a while back for Turkmenistan but forgot about it until recently:

UA: Father of the Turkmen
If one city in the Empire is celebrating a :c5food: 'We Love the King Day' - receive :c5goldenage: Golden Age points equal to the number of Wonders, :greatwork: Great Works and strategic resources in the :c5capital: Capital. The length of :c5food: 'We Love the King Day' is increased for every point of local :c5happy: happiness in a city.

Throw in a happiness building and some decisions based around happiness or We Love the King Day and I quite like the potential here. Either way, as long as the civ is focused on the capital and not natural gas, I'm sure it'll be great whatever design you use.

Why does every civ have to outline the positives of a civ, though?

Because it just does - it always has, thats how every major modded civ and firaxis design has been. Ethiopias UA isn't:

Band Aid - Receive :c5food: Food in the :c5capital: capital all starving and stagnating cities whenever a :c5greatperson: Great Musician performs a concert tour. :trade: International trade routes to Ethiopian cities yield +2 :c5food: food for every starving city in the empire.

Its a reference to the heroic defence of their nation against the Italians. All civs represent the best that nation or people can do. Its what civ is about!

P.S The Mangaka from Japan is entirely my design bro, its in my sig and everything.

P.S The Mangaka from Japan is entirely my design bro, its in my sig and everything.

We're still talking about this? No, it's not. Here's the Mangaka that COF posted:

May not write a Political Treatsie. Mangaka increase Science in the empire by +20% for three turns after their birth.

Here's the one in the OP (same):

UU: Mangaka (Great Writer): May not write a Political Treatsie. Mangaka increase Science and in the empire by +20% for three turns after their birth.

And here's my Mangaka design:

Mangaka
May not write a Political Treatsie, unlike the :c5greatperson: Great Writer it replaces. Mangaka increase :c5science: Science and :tourism: Tourism in the empire by +20% for three turns after their birth.

Now, here's yours:

UU: Mangaka (Replaces Great Writer)
The Mangaka creates Manga, :greatwork: Great works of writing unique to Japan. These Manga generate double :tourism: tourism yields for 3 turns when Japan discovers a new :c5science: technology, this time is increased by one turn for every other civ which has not discovered that :c5science: technology. In addition, cities with at least 1 work of Manga receive +3 :c5happy: happiness.

Granted, my Mangaka design is inspired by yours. But it's still my design.

Finally, I'd like to stress that I do not like the current Japanese UA, because I feel it doesn't fit Japan, what with the focus on Buildings. No offence intended, Urdnot_Scott (that gets tiresome to write, can I just call you Scotty?), it is a great UA gameplay-wise.

Oh yeah, I was working off of an earlier discussion and hadn't seen that design, terribly sorry about that; now I feel very stupid :blush:

Oh really? I posted that design?
Spoiler :

Only similarity is the 3 turns thing. And I already showed the the difference. I didn't even see your Modern Japan, and you can go to the Japan in Scott's signature, same wording, same all.

As for that post you linked, I probably copied the wrong design, probably from the OP, since that was convenient, but it looks like SuperWaffle didn't remove that one, idk. The document I have lists it as what I posed here.

Political yes, but no one of my family or friends and their parents have a bad opinion about the GDR. It wasnt the best government but, I would say the best in the Eastern bloc :D

@Urdnot, COF, Hamm - the design confusion is partly my fault. When I last updated the OP I must have forgotten to update the Mangaka with the design supplied to me by COF, from Urdnot. My apologies! It should be OK now...Sorry for the confusion again. If there are any remaining issues with regards to credits please let me know. Credit disputes are the last thing I want.

@Urdnot On Turkmenistan - I like your ideas, although I would offer that the current design, that I posted a few posts up (OP is NOT current on Turkmenistan) which is still open to massaging , is primarily capital focused, using elements of Scape's design to transfer yields to the capital. THe Natural Gas should not be the primary focus of the design, but I think that it IS appropriate for it to be included secondarily, as the bonus to buildings percentage encourages a well-developed capital and it's also really cool, especially if implemented as a psuedo-natural wonder.

I do understand your concern though. I will attempt to find a good balance between the two concepts, but I indeed do find Scape's design to be incredibly unique.

@Viregel: Looking forward to it! Care to show what you've done so far, on East Germany?

Top Bottom