The Immortal Challenge Line-up Game # 39 Byzantium

budweiser

King of the Beers
Welcome to the Immortal Challenge Lineup!

Its time to put down the sword and get your religion on you bunch of heathens!

ICL Game #38 - Byzantium
Settings: standard
Map – Continents
DLC - All DLC - no map packs

Starting location:
Spoiler :

Do you want help making sure you get a religion?
Spoiler :
Try a bee-line for Stone Henge. Pottery>Mining>Calendar.

Information & rules:
Spoiler :
All games in this series will be set to IMMORTAL difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. New challenges in the series will be posted every other Wednesday.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play immortal games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.

Links to all recent ICL-games:

All results get documented in a spreadsheet by Nigel_Tufnel2. To help him with his work, please use this headline tXXX victory-type in your finishing post in bold text. Example: t210 DV

Attached file:

Attachments

• ICL39BC-4000.Civ5Save
    517.3 KB · Views: 141
Nice one budweiser. I guess it's the turn of Peaceful Tall. Maybe Full Piety is possible here...

Im gonna attempt this, I will probably cry myself to sleep tonight..
Do i DL that link and put it in my civ5 saves?

I have a soft spot for Byzantium, so definitely giving it a try. Will go full piety -- which I cannot make work at Deity.

This is a really interesting map, definitely my favourite of your maps so far Budweiser. Exactly the kind of maps I want to see for the new Deity series - where you have to 'solve' the map.

T60ish and have gone Full Piety

This is a really interesting map, definitely my favourite of your maps so far Budweiser. Exactly the kind of maps I want to see for the new Deity series - where you have to 'solve' the map.

T60ish and have gone Full Piety

Did you open Tradition or Liberty or you just went straight Piety?

Straight Piety. If you want juicy Reformation beliefs, and maximum chance of founding, go straight for it.

T112 Update

Spoiler :
Finished out Piety, dipped into Liberty opener and Exploration opener. Original plan was for Tall Peaceful but my natural tendencies have led me towards conquest. I possess 2 capitals besides my own, and wiped out their original owners, so when my GAdm started exploring, no one was none the wiser that there used to exist two other civs in my neck of the woods. Religion is spreading well, and I now have to decide between Frigate rush and wide peaceful culture.

I played this game again and I failed to get SH. And then all the good religious beliefs go take and mine was crap. I will still win CV, even 50 turns earlier than before but it changed the whole way the game played out. I might play it one more time.

What Reformation beliefs are so useful that it's worth forgoing Tradition or Liberty?

Jesuit Education - ok so earlier universities is good but the faith cost is still very expensive unless you have desert folklore.
Sacred Sites - meh it's ok but Immortal it's unlikely to be enough to give you an early culture victory - you also need a tonne of faith to get those religious buildings quickly
To the Glory of God - good but you have to wait until Industrial era...

Spoiler :
I decided to try to go wide with the bonus belief, since the usual problem with wide is happiness. I went Mining first, then Pottery, then Writing - Masonry - Trapping - Optics - Philosophy. Build order was worker, shrine, granary, settlers, library. I skipped a monument since I hit a culture ruin. I managed to steal two more workers from Kiev.

Unfortunately with the time it took my settlers to place all 6 of my cities and then build libraries, my NC was really late (t130 or so), so I had education before the NC. I had also wanted to get Notre Dame but that went pretty early. The only early game wonder I succeeded in building was Borobodur.

My religion was:
earth mother
tithe
pagodas
+15% production
+2 happiness from temples
25% cheaper prophets

Jesuit Education was gone, so I didn't bother going in Piety past the opener. I went full liberty (GS for academy), piety opener, full rationalism, left side Patronage, 6 points in Order, 3 exploration, commerce opener. By winning the world's fair and bulbing 3 great writers I was able to get a pretty decent amount of culture. The pagodas also helped.

I met Isabella and Pacal while I was settling the continent to the east, and took a long time to meet everybody else. My scouting of the shallow seas was pretty good using a scout, spearman and 2 dromons. Someone (I would later find out it was Ramesses, typical) was building all of the wonders, so I ruled out a cultural victory. All my faith would have to go towards something, so I decided on a wide science victory.

I went Order, thinking it would be better than Freedom with 6 factories in my cities. However, I horribly miscalculated how many great scientists I needed and was able to finish the whole tech tree, meaning I should have started bulbing 40 turns earlier. Oh well. I also faith bought 3 great engineers to rush the last 3 spaceship parts. When I began bulbing I had 15,000 faith saved up. I didn't even need to buy a single GS to finish the tech tree.

I had all the spaceship parts at about t310, but I wanted to spend that 15000 faith I had built up, so I spent a few turns buying great scientists and bulbing them on Future Tech. Unfortunately Future Tech doesn't show how many times it was been researched, but I think I did it about 5 or 6 times. I think if I played properly the finish time would have been t260-t270.

Having to wait for optics to settle the other 3 city sites meant that for most of the game I was waiting for a backlog of buildings to be built in those late expos. Honestly I'm not sure if they contributed to my empire or if they simply slowed me down. I had to feed them with food and production cargo ships that could have been sent to my core cities instead. Also my capital had so many plain water tiles that its potential was pretty limited in the late game.

Attachments

• 2015-09-25_00006.jpg
    2015-09-25_00006.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 100
  • 2015-09-25_00007.jpg
    2015-09-25_00007.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 186
Jesuit Education is incredible. The faith cost is nothing when you are Byzantium. Once Byzantium founds, they are a decent civ. It's just on Deity they suck because you're not likely to found. But this is Immortal. Something wrong if you don't found.

T250 Victory in sight

Spoiler :
Things are starting to come together now. Landmarks are being built, policies are starting to push tourism up. It was a tough ordeal losing nearly all Renaissance wonders to the runaway on the main continent (usual suspect) by 1-5 turns. But I have World Religion and FP so I should be OK whatever happens. Next policy is Historical Landmarks. And I have a huge amount of saved faith.

I need more practice. My city placement seemed to match what i saw from others but they were crushing me in tech.

T313 Culture

A game of two halves.

Spoiler :
The first half was taking over my half of the world militarily and religiously, the second half building culture, spamming Archaeologists, and - EVENTUALLY - getting my religion into the majority of the two runaway's cities.
Part 1 - Beeline Sailing, Optics, Iron Working. Build Great Lighthouse and Colossus. Spam Dromon, Conquer Palenque and Madrid (with Scout captures!). Spread religion to CS and extinguish the religions from the captured capitals. Now I have at most 2 religions to compete with, and am already nearing 100 FPT. Lovely stuff.

Part 2 - Getting pipped to most Renaissance wonders by 1 turn by Pachacuti (due to poor production in cities). Strategy here was to spread the religion for GPT and tourism modifiers, while keeping everyone else at war. Won WF and IG. Spammed archaeologists like never before.

Social Policies:
Full Piety, Full Exploration, Full Aesthetics, Liberty to Representation, Freedom to Media Culture, Patronage Opener for FP, Rationalism opener.

Once again, thanks so much for the map Budweiser. My favourite of the ICL so far :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-26 at 23.04.29.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-26 at 23.04.29.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-26 at 12.20.07.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-26 at 12.20.07.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-26 at 11.32.02.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-26 at 11.32.02.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 09.28.15.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 09.28.15.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 09.46.22.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 09.46.22.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 09.47.24.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 09.47.24.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 146
This was a fun map, thanks! I concentrated on spreading my religion -- but but to no real strong gain from that except no-cost CS friends all game (which is good, but gold would have been better). By mid game I had 50+ cities converted, all but one neighbor (3 cities) and one continent far away (6 cities).

That came at the expense of gold and happy though, so not worth it. Science was tanked because of running in the red so much. Faith enough for the 4K GS with and 4K left at end!

I was just about to DOW the nominal runaway and I think I could have gotten the caps before anyone launched, but I did not feel like fighting the WL vote and the game had gone on so long already.

I am going to play again, more conventional Liberty. Use religion as a buff rather the focus and fill in with Exploration instead of Piety or Patronage.

Attachments

• civ5ss-icl39-t387dv.jpg
    civ5ss-icl39-t387dv.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 207
When i try harder difficulty levels i need an ai near to help me stay focused on efficiency. Any links to anything to sharpen immortal level gameplay? I really have no desire to play diety. I am under the impression that this is the last difficulty where a person can plah around a little for flavor or fun and that why i usually play prince. I would like an actual ai military threat and to see enemies at least in the same era. Going to try one more time

When i try harder difficulty levels i need an ai near to help me stay focused on efficiency. Any links to anything to sharpen immortal level gameplay? I really have no desire to play diety. I am under the impression that this is the last difficulty where a person can plah around a little for flavor or fun and that why i usually play prince. I would like an actual ai military threat and to see enemies at least in the same era. Going to try one more time

Try ICL #12 for some AI pressure. Its linked in the OP.

I need more practice. My city placement seemed to match what i saw from others but they were crushing me in tech.

Did you try and finish out the game?

Being behind is no big deal. Save your GS. Once you have Public Schools everywhere, go to science focus. Eight turns later, bulb one GS per turn so long as you have 3+ turns to research. You should complete Rationalism around time, so that is two or three GS from that and 3+ that you have been saving, so 5-7 total. After those several turns of GS bulbing are you still behind in science?

Any links to anything to sharpen immortal level gameplay? I really have no desire to play diety. I am under the impression that this is the last difficulty where a person can play around a little for flavor or fun and that why i usually play prince.

That is a pretty large gap between Prince and Immortal! How about King or Emperor? My finish times are poor, but I always play around a little for flavor or fun with my Deity games. Gotta get the UU online at least! I can only win if I open Tradition or Liberty and complete Rationalism -- but that still leaves room to mess around.

King is not really difficult and emperor is doable. These challenges only seem to come in immortal and diety. I want to participate. Im not sure how to upload my game but i will show one or two tries if anyone wants to advise.

Top Bottom