Gotm23 Sg

ControlFreak

Not An Addict, Really
Better late than never:

Being a player with limited time frame often prevents me from completing the GOTM within the deadline timeframe. But since the GOTM is such an awesome experience, I still love to play the games, at least a little bit. I am sure there are others like me who would like to play the GOTM but i)can't play enough turns on their own to finish it ii)still would like to play and compare their results to the rest of the GOTM community.

To this end, I am taking signups for a sucession game using the starting save game of GOTM23.

EDIT: In true SG style, here is the Starting location and the map info.

Civilization: Arabs
Difficulty: Monarch
World size: 5000 tiles (standard)
Landmass: Pangaea 58% H2O
Geology: 3 billion years old
Environment: Warm and Arid
Barbarians: Raging
Rivals: 9 Preset
Upgrade Swordsmen/Longbows: ON
Differential Naval Movement is Engaged

I am ideally looking for players that:
  1. Wanted to submit GOTM23 but ran out of time.
  2. Wanted to play the GOTM but never started because they knew they couldn't complete it.
  3. Players who played the GOTM but were forced to take a different victory condition than the tournament requirement of Domination.
  4. Players who played Conquest (or Predator for that matter) that would like to play the Open level.
  5. Anyone else to fill the team(s).
Depending on the interest level, we may end up with more than one team and could maybe play different levels. For now, I plan on starting one Open-Level game with 5-7 members.

For those of you who don't know what a succession game is, a team of players take turns playing blocks (usually 10 turns) and then posting the game for the next player. Any interteam discussion takes place through posts in the game thread.

Because I suspect to attract time-constrained players, the schedule will be a little slower than normal SGs. When a player is "up" she or he has 24hours from the posting of the previous players save file to post a "Got It". They will have a total of 72hours to play their game and post their save and turnlog. If you can not play your turn when you are "up" you must post a "Skip Me, Please" and you will be bypassed (or swapped with another player) so that the game can keep moving.

Playing an SG allows you to proceed through a whole game while you yourself only play 10 out of 50 or so turns. That allows you to get farther through a game with less RL time commited to playing. If this sounds good to you, post here.

I will be taking signups for the next week. If there is enough interest I'll start the game. If there isn't...well let's not let it get to that.

EDIT:
[civ3] and [civ3][civ3mac]AlanH, MacBaldrick, Karasu

[ptw]denyd, Ted Jackson, DaveShack

CF

I'm interested, I only was able to complete the QSC for GOTM 23. Since I've played to that point, maybe I could join in after you've reached 1000BC, since I already have knowledge of the early map layout.

DenyD

Count me in if we can get a 1.29 team together.

Credentials:
GOTM#20 Conquest. Diplo defeat, but only because I didn't understand the voting rules.
GOTM#21 Open. 100K culture victory.
GOTM#22 Open. Retired 1465 AD. 20K culture achievable but ran out of time.
GOTM#23 Predator. Retired 1200 AD. I was surviving but taking waaay too long.

As I haven't played an SG before this sounds like a great way to get involved in one and hopefully get some constructive feedback on my playing style.

Great guys. Thats a good start.

denyd@ There is no way to avoid spoilers for this game since we're playing from the same starting map. Maybe you can [edit: do something to] kill the brain cells that are storing the map.:nya:

AlanH@ I hope we have enough players willing to play 1.29 that we can get two games going.

I've posted a link to this thread in the Macintosh SG forum to try to drum up some more 1.29 interest

Good Idea AlanH. I'll post in the SG Registry too to try and pull the SG, non-GOTMers in.

I'm happy to have a go as I also ran through the QSC (not submitted) but didn't have time for more. No real advantage as you have to explore the full map one way or another - deciding on city placements is another matter.

Still plodding on with GOTM 21 in modern age (min 1/2 hr per turn) to see one through to the end.

MacBaldrick@ Which version do you prefer to play? PTW or Vanilla civ?

All other players@ Please indicate which you want: [ptw] or [civ3]

Maybe the next one CF. I've already played this one out in both predator and open. For those that are signing up maybe it would be fun to go predator as most players that will have completed it will have done so on Open or conquest.

Originally posted by samildanach
For those that are signing up maybe it would be fun to go predator as most players that will have completed it will have done so on Open or conquest.
I was thinking about that but didn't want to scare away anyone. I think we as a team can decide which level to pursue when we get going. I expect a wide range of ability levels since the presence here is more determined by available RL time than by playing ability.

Controlfreak

I play Mac (OS 10.2.6) with version 1.29b1 (I think same as PTW).

I vote for Open as representative of regular non-GOTM games we might play.

My Preferences:

PTW, I haven't loaded any of the recent patches to Vanilla including the additional files for GOTM, so it would probably take a while to set that up, but Vanilla would be ok.

Open, Conquest has some fun bonus items though, and Predator would offer a good challenge at the Monarch level, that I wouldn't have to face alone.

I really have no preference for the victory condition, but I would like to be able to check out the Ansar Warrior abilities, so a little war would be nice.

When would you like to start?

Originally posted by MacBaldrick
I play Mac (OS 10.2.6) with version 1.29b1 (I think same as PTW).
I was sure that the Mac version of Civ III was only compatible with the vanilla civ game. I'm not sure whether we can have Mac and PC players pass the save game around.

AlanH@ you're the resident Mac Civ expert. Do you know what is capable and what is not?

So far we have:

[civ3mac][civ3] AlanH, MacBaldrick

[ptw] CF, denyd (both could play [civ3] )

You flatter me ;)

First some Mac-specific business:

1. The latest Mac version of Civ3 is 1.29b2, which is file-compatible with PC version 1.29f (Cracker chastises us if we use the expression "vanilla", so I won't ;) ).

2. I strongly recommend that MacBaldrick should apply the beta 2 patch. It's as solid as a rock here apart from one brain-storm that I cured by re-installing Civ3. I've been running it with OS X 10.2.6 for months, and I just upgraded to 10.2.8 with no ill effects.

3. My GOTM23 installer should remove any excuses concerning the mod files, as it makes all the changes to a standard 1.29 installation on Jaguar in one hit, using an Apple-standard installer. If anyone is stuck on a pre-Jaguar OS I'll be happy to try to help them get their installation set up properly via PM or the Mac forum.

Concerning file compatibility:

Mac and PC players can exchange the same game files, as long as the PC players are running version 1.29f and the Mac players are running 1.29b2. The Mac version is NOT COMPATIBLE with any version of PTW. So we would need at least two teams to support everyone - one team or group would be for PC-only PTW players, and the other would be for Mac and/or PC version 1.29 players.

Start files are available to support all tastes:

The GOTM site provides start files for PTW and 1.29, at the three difficulty levels, all using the same map but with different starting bonuses. Mac and PC 1.29 players download the same file each month. Cracker's herculean efforts each month aim to ensure that the PTW and 1.29 game configurations play out the same way at each difficuly level. So if two teams play 1.29 and PTW, both at the same level, they should be able to compare progress, but won't be able to share the same file.

CF,

I'd like to sign up for the PTW team.

Ted

CF

Just as a suggestion, for the next in this series, why not go back to beginning of the GOTM series:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3gotm/civ3gotm01.shtml

That way most of the games will be brand new to the players.

PS: It's also a Vanilla Civ game, so the Mac community can join in.

TedJackson@ Added

denyd@ That's a good idea about going back a ways. I won't start at game 1 though. If I were going to start back more it would be at GOTM20 where the play levels were introduced. Any farther back and the comparisons with the competition would be too difficult.

Smilies added by 3 year old daughter.:p :o :D

I would like to play Open, on [ptw]. The idea of starting a series of GOTM SG's back to the beginning sounds good too, though gotta be careful not to take up too much time, or the current GOTM might suffer (or the SG stagnate).

I really like the idea of the SG based on old GOTMs but I am too tied up playing this months game and I already finished GOTM 23... so maybe next time around i will join you guys. good luck

Hi there.
I usually play the GOTM with Civ3 1.29f (PC)

I see busy times at work in the near (gloomy) future, but given the relaxed pace you want to give to this SG, I should be able to make it.

You can add me to the 1.29f roster if nobody else shows up. :)

Top Bottom