Gotm27 - The Last Samurai - Quick Game

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
Since Gotm27 is still in progress this game opportunity announcement will be somewhat limited in scope to avoid spoilers.

When I post the starting save file on February 2nd, this will include a more detailed preamble and story-line to help set the stage for your play opportunity.

This game is a "quick game"/"specific mission" captured from the play testing and development process that was used to produce Gotm27. The starting save file is an actual developed save file from the play test that will set the stage for you to accomplish a the task of conquering a specific opponent in the fewest number of turns possible.

Scoring will be based on a starting score of 10000 points minus an increasing number of points for each turn that it takes you to kill the target. You lose 100 points for the first turn, 200 points for the second turn, 300 points for the third turn and so forth. You also earn 200 points for each army and 25 points for each elite unit that is still alive in the former enemy territory when the last victim dies.

The game is on Monarch difficulty and is only available to play in PTWv1.27 due to the actual extraction of the game from an in progress game playtest. You must have the game packs for Gotm27 installed to play the game. You begin the game in the year 950AD and you are early in the Industrial Age.

Your challenge is to see how many turns it will take you to accomplish the same task that I completed in 9 turns during the play test. For some players this will be an easy task while for others it will be an skin tightening adrenaline rush of a new magnitude. Because of the sheer amount of bloodshed that occured in this phase of the play test it took me about 4 hours to play the actual events but many of you will play substantially slower or substantially faster depending on how you choose to proceed.

The Predator level extra challenge is to keep no captured cities and found no more than one additional city during the game play process.

To include the Civ3v1.29 players or perhaps some less experienced players who might feel a bit uncomfortable about playing from a tough preset position on Monarch, I would suggest the opportunity for a team/mini-demo game type approach where one player with PTWv1.27 will fill the role of hotseat/gameplayer while two to three other players may fill the role of strategic advisors to help decide where and what you should do next. Each team that elects to play the game in this mode may open an individual thread in this quick game forum to discuss their strategic play options and make decisions (other players and teams should follow the no-lookee no-cheatee rules until they have completely killed the designated victim.)

Individual players may also play the game on their own and just post a story/timeline summary of how the game proceeded.

If you would like to play the game on your own you may indicate interest by posting here.

If you would like to play as a part of a group or team, then please try to keep those teams down to no more that 4 players per team and use this thread to match up to make sure that each team has at least one player with the required setup. If you have more than one player with PTWv1.27 set up for Gotm27 then you should feel free to trade off on turns if that floats your boat.

This may be a great opportunity to experience a significant moment in Gotm27 that you may have missed in the first pass play opportunity.

The gauntlet has been thrown gentlemen. Lets see what Cracker has wrought for us this time.

How can I pass up an opportunity like that? I did run through GOTM27 quickly this month, so I would enjoy the chance to replay part of it, and the challenge sounds interesting!

Well, I never pass up an opportunity to show myself up in public.
Count me in.

This is awesome, cracker give us stuff even when he's resigned?

Bless that guy, I play!

I was going to wait on Conquests until it got sorted out a bit, but now I've ordered it just to try this !!

Just to avoid any potential confusion that Highdesert may have caused by the last post,

This game cannot be played in Civ3Conquests so there may be no valid reason to even mention that product here.

Civ3COnquests does include a version of the PTW excutable but there is some confusion as to how it is installed and supported since some players have reported functional problems that did not previously exist before they installed Civ3Conquests.

Yes, I had planned on using the PTW executable I was led to believe was included with Conquests...sounds like it may be hit or miss.

Since I missed the completion of GOTM27 I am extra geared towards this quick game. I'll play it alone I think, and try to add a detailed description of my moves and motives behind them.

I hope more players will sign up to see what differences the various players have in aggression level and planning micromanaging of specific post QTC game settings under equal starting conditions.

OK, thanks for your patience, all you Admiral Perry and Tom Cruise wannabe's. ;)

Your target in this game is basically cruise into the Japanese territorial waters and drop off your army and wipe out the Japanese in as few turns as possible. You can bring over as many reinforcements as you wish, of any unit type that you wish.

Japan in this case is played by the Oda clan lead by Oda Nobunaga himself and he is none too happy with you. When I played this section the game in the test play before Gotm27 was released, it was a real nail biter.

Here is an image of your invasion force staged offshore, just to the west of the Oda island homeland.

You choose where you land and how you proceed, but you must be honorable and declare war before you actually invade the Oda so that you may retain your reputation intact. You have several Frigates off the north coast that will have to clear out of Oda-land before you begin your actual invasion.

Do not forget to look around well before you start playing the game. The Oda have units far off to the south of America and they have possession of the island back near the east coast of the former Viking playground.

Remember that this save game file will only work in the English language version of PTWv1.27 and you must have the game packs installed properly for Gotm27-America (the Game of the Year) before you attempt to load the game.

This quick game only took me about 8 to 10 turns to play but it took me over 4 hours due to all the unit tasks and the fact that I wanted to watch the combat. At one point in time, my units were running 75-80% wounded. I destroyed the Oda completely without capturing or keeping any of their towns on the main island even for a second. I only founded 1 new town on the Oda home island.

Good luck!!! See how you do with exactly the same staring forces and starting position:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/samurai_pred950ad_before_oda.zip

I won't be able to look at it 'till tomorrow, and 4 hours is probably more than I can manage in 1 night, so I'll post over the weekend.

Hehee, got C3C early (and PtW1.27f in it). I'm going to play, but don't know when.

Originally posted by cracker
... This quick game only took me about 8 to 10 turns to play ...

I had a very similar situation in GOTM27. The invasion force was about the same size. However, no settlers/muskets but stack of about 20 cannons/30 single cavalry and 2 cavalry armies. The force landed on a mountain in NW corner and was attacked by 30 samurai/kenzai/archers on the first turn. After landing, I managed to capture a nearby city and next turn, was attacked again with more samurai/kenzai, probably around 30 units also. This essentially wiped out the remaining single cavalries. The cannons survived but had to be upgraded to artillery to make any further advance possible. During this Oda got riflemen and before the end of the game achieved on the other continent, I was able to capture only 4 cities. Moreover, Oda was a cultural monster in my game and that NW town flipped 3 times. Basically, I failed miserably and certainly it would be interesting to try again with this save. But it take a really brilliant playing skill, some good RNG fortune and non-standard tactics to do what has to be done in 9 turns!!!!

I also have a question. You have mined most of the planes on the starting landmass. Is there any particular reason to do this because irrigating them instead would substantially increase the score certainly at some expense of production? I was in Republic (not Monarchy) and had built the core slightly more dense, so reaching size 12 for most of the cities and corruption were not a problem. This production/corruption was apparently not a big problem because my main mistake was sending this huge force to Oda instead of the other continent which then could have been conquered more rapidly. And even keeping luxury rate at 30%, research was going more rapidly than in your game.

I took a look at this last night and came to a conclusion about my game play. I don't like to waste shields (units) when I don't have to. I'll probably return the muskets to the mainland, build 6-8 more galleons and when Replaceable parts comes in, I'll load up those galleons with Infantry & Artillery and return to Oda land. The Infantry (with artillery) on a mountain top should provide a proper defense for my cavalry. I'll probably take longer (lower score), but that's just my preference for respecting my troops.

Well, I'm about halfway through (turn 6 IIRC) and all I'm going to say is it's intense. Will their be a date for posting our descriptions? Don't want to do anything that would be a "spoiler".

EDIT: A quick question, the "no more than one new city" I hope only applied to the Oda mainland, as I did also found a city on the barb island (you left a settler there) and the small island next to Viking land, I hope those don't count against me. I have only founded one on the Oda land, and razed everything I have taken, I assumed that was the intent.

Denyd, you have not chosen wisely. ;)

JustusII, lets give things till the 20th and then post a little discussion centered around next weekend. SOunds like you had the joy of experiencing the intent of this event and that it was exhilarating and lots of fun for you. (PS, you can wink and tell Denyd that he did not choose wisely as well).

Top Bottom