World War II 1939 - A Civilization IV Modification

I tried this mode as Germany just few turns, I like the idea, but there some problems: a) research is too slow (30 turns for each advance at the beginning!), b) to build city improvement is too slow (some city can build a factory in 150 turns!), c) Germany must start as axies, no sense to spend one turn in anarchy to convert to axies, Germany is Axies!. Furthermore a minor bug: to set a unit to build for entrechments or fortifications I need more than 1 billions of turns! I think something must be done otherwise is simply a wargame using the units on the field at the beginning.
That's my 2 cents, anyway thx for your efforts.

I tried this mode as Germany just few turns, I like the idea, but there some problems: a) research is too slow (30 turns for each advance at the beginning!), b) to build city improvement is too slow (some city can build a factory in 150 turns!), c) Germany must start as axies, no sense to spend one turn in anarchy to convert to axies, Germany is Axies!. Furthermore a minor bug: to set a unit to build for entrechments or fortifications I need more than 1 billions of turns! I think something must be done otherwise is simply a wargame using the units on the field at the beginning.
That's my 2 cents, anyway thx for your efforts.

Thanks for your input...

If you are speaking about 1933 World Scenario, or the D-Day scenario, then the scenario version included with the mod is a couple versions behind what I have uploaded onto the CivFanatics Download Forum... For the most current version, i.e. starting with "religion" as Axis, this was done two versions ago after the religion portion of the mod was updated to allow this. Several other tweaks were done, such as starting with Blitzkrieg for D-day, tweaks on force sizes, etc which came up during Alpha Testing for the few days before release.

For most current version of my scenarios:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...o=file&id=4152 D-Day
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...o=file&id=4153 for 1933 World

They are small files and will download in under 30 seconds usually, and after a few days playing, when you want to try another, check back for the latest version.

I will continue to update the scenarios with new versions every few days as I respond to suggestions, game play feedback and my testing too!

I won't release a major upgrade version, i.e. with new leaders, until there is a mod patch announced in a few weeks with the new animated leaderheads for the nations involved which have to utilize 'borrowed' leaderheads.

As for your specific comments, I believe you are probably playing the 1939 scenario, which is by Kodzi.

Anyway... Happy Playing!

Great job on the mod guys. This is what i've been waiting for since civ 4 came out. Thanks so much for all your hard work.

That said, I have a few comments.

The 39 scenario isn't really complete (at least in my opinion). Is this the case? I played till about mid 42 when I finally quit (as the third reich) because production was basically impossible. Berlin, and Munich were about my only cities that could actually produce a unit in a decent amount of turns. All other cities were useless production wise.

I know how much time it can take to make a scenario (hence why I have never completed one!!) because of the extreme amount of time involved to get everything done.

If this scenario is considered 'complete' then I'm going to go in and make some changes. Mostly I will add most of the city improvements and redo most of the terrain improvements so that the main focus can be on unit production and not so much on infrastructure (although building up infastructure should be important).

I also plan to tweak the unit strengths and distrubutions as these are somewhat incorrect. Germany's navy is wayyyy overpowered for example. There seems to be no bombers and especially no dive bombers available. Germany also has too many tanks at the start as most of the german units were standard unmotorized infantry units. I also didn't see any artillery.

But despite all this, I am so thankful to have this mod and these scenarios. I really want to create a dedicated East Front scenario if I can find a good map. Im dying for an east front scenario... Huge map... =)

I tried this mode as Germany just few turns, I like the idea, but there some problems:

I too have been playing Germany, and I'd agree that the research rate is too slow compared to the passage of time. I'm playing the 1939 scenario, and through four years, I've gotten four tech advances, with a general plan of building military units to increase the land.

Other issues I felt were skewed:

1) The UN voting on a nuclear non-proliferation act before nukes have been invented (here here again, down with the UN! Germany left the League of Nations in October of 1933, so they shouldn't be bound by silly UN rules. The Solviets were also expelled from the League of Nations in 1939, as well.
2) Axis being able to sue for peace with Briton. I offered, he took it quick, and now I'm just rolling over the Leage of Nations with no worry, since I don't have to worry about Briton's navy or cover my back.
3) The league of nations having Infantry IV, while Germany has Infantry I. This makes you have to have good air and artillery support, and make it a *major* offensive (5-6 turns) to take over Denmark, Belgium, and Holland. Taking them over is more difficult than taking Paris. In history, Holland dropped in five days, and Belgium in 14. Even Norway only took 30 days to fall.
4) Only being able to make up to two Activists at a time. While I agree there should a limit, making only two effectively limits you from spreading Axis into Russia in an attempt to sway them if you use Blitzkreig tactics...the activists are always rushing towards my newly conquered League of Nations towns. I might suggest upping that to three, perhaps four as the limit.
5) The inability of Germany to build Labour camps from the start. The first one, historically, was Oranienburg outside of Berlin, in 1933, so they should be able to keep building them from the start.
6) The fact Spain is not a facist state. Ignoring the problem that the League of Nations is too powerful to start, Franco had solid control of Spain by 1939, and in fact owed hundreds of millions of lira and Reichsmarks to Italy and Germany at that time (to support the civil war). They should start out a facist with good ties to both.

Overall, I *LOVE* this Mod. Thank you very much for taking the time to put it out there. I look forward to when it's finished and balanced. I'll post more observations as I come across them.

-Shawn

Ok i red your post and massages that came on emails (btw Donald check your spam settings it blocks my emails) and my own observations (believe me or not i'm playing this game first time:)). And few things wich will be improved in mod in next patch

- Removed Forced Labourer critical error
- Removed Olympia Stadium critical error
- Removed really annoying League Of Nations bug - as all we know it LOG only talked and talked and couldn't do practicly anything - the wonder will give probly some commerce bonuses - or something like that - any propositions?
- Added United Nations - not sure if it's needed tough - in one of the last techs wich will allow to vote on civics, proliferation of nuclear power and diplomatical victory
- Drop the research cost about 30%
- Balancing buildings cost
- Remove TXT_ bugs - as many as we can catch :)
- Check whats wrong with building Trenches and other improvments and decrease time of building it

Probably the next patch will also would have corrected scenarios in way you propose

Greetz :)

@ Neo Guderian - we would like to play new scenarios so you're welcome (and anyone other who wants to help) to make East Front Scenario - it should be very interesting scenario :)

Ok i red your post and massages that came on emails (btw Donald check your spam settings it blocks my emails) and my own observations (believe me or not i'm playing this game first time:)). And few things wich will be improved in mod in next patch

- Removed Forced Labourer critical error
- Removed Olympia Stadium critical error
- Removed really annoying League Of Nations bug - as all we know it LOG only talked and talked and couldn't do practicly anything - the wonder will give probly some commerce bonuses - or something like that - any propositions?
- Added United Nations - not sure if it's needed tough - in one of the last techs wich will allow to vote on civics, proliferation of nuclear power and diplomatical victory
- Drop the research cost about 30%
- Balancing buildings cost
- Remove TXT_ bugs - as many as we can catch :)
- Check whats wrong with building Trenches and other improvments and decrease time of building it

Probably the next patch will also would have corrected scenarios in way you propose

Greetz :)

@ Neo Guderian - we would like to play new scenarios so you're welcome (and anyone other who wants to help) to make East Front Scenario - it should be very interesting scenario :)

Be careful with dropping research cost... It works in a timely manner in my scenarios because adequate balancing of research ability through buildings, wonders and improvements preassigned, etc. has been done. If you do change let me know as I will need to change my scenario - my preference would be to leave as is... Thanks - JungleIII ;)

Be careful with dropping research cost... It works in a timely manner in my scenarios because adequate balancing of research ability through buildings, wonders and improvements preassigned, etc. has been done. If you do change let me know as I will need to change my scenario - my preference would be to leave as is... Thanks - JungleIII ;)

Ok we'll discuss it well before making patch - imo research speed is to slow. Maybe change around 10% would be better idea than

Thanks for note on Norway for 1944 scenario - Noted and will evaluate how to change. ;)

Since after occupation, Norway played little part in the balance of the war, just as lower France (Vichy) wasn't REALLY occupied by Germany, but was under German rule, I had to take a few liberties with history to balance game. Since the map doesn't have the U.S. on it, it becomes difficult to have enough earth under their feet to actually produce any research or more units. It wasn't enough to just have 1/2 of Italy under occupation. However... I will try to figure out a balancing change in next revision or two... :)

Thanks.... ...JungleIII

You are welcome.. IIRC, southern france was occupied by Germany after Torch, the allied landing in North Africa, i.e. end of 1942.

Maybe you can introduce a special building for this scenario which only America can build and which will boost unit production to an adequate level.

You are welcome.. IIRC, southern france was occupied by Germany after Torch, the allied landing in North Africa, i.e. end of 1942.

Maybe you can introduce a special building for this scenario which only America can build and which will boost unit production to an adequate level.

Yep... When the Africa Korps came home they needed someplace to go I guess - Rommell went to the Paris area and was waiting for the invasion when it came in 44, he just wasn't allowed to respond when and where he wanted. Anyway, I'll figure out a way at some point to artificially inflate their economy and construction and research... the tools are actually probably already in this mod - but if one of these "super cities" fell into enemy hands, it would give the victor a VERY unfair advantage.

Ok we'll discuss it well before making patch - imo research speed is to slow. Maybe change around 10% would be better idea than

Thanks... maybe a comprimise - 15% or 20% if necessary. We have soooo many buildings to use to increase research, it is really in the hands of the scenario builder with all the unique buildings to flesh out the best rate to research.

Cheers... ...Jungle

The problem seems with button
in CIV4UnitInfos.xml in WW2 1939\assets\XML\Units

under
<UnitInfo>
<Class>UNITCLASS_FORCED_LABOURER</Class>
<Type>UNIT_FORCED_LABOURER</Type>

<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/forced_labourer.dds</Button>
and should be
<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/forced_labourer.dds</Button>
without coma
Try this and tell me if it helps with your save now.

It works fine with that. It did help

General observation:

Armour units should be seriously penalised when attacking cities.

D-day scen:

If the map would focus for example only on the western front allied offensive the scale of the map could be done much better and easier to balance.

One more benefit would be that the vast amount of units would be cut to a more manageble amount.

I havent played all that many turns but in my game as Germany on monarchy diff the scen starts out rater easy IMO. The first turn is ending up with a real massacre of almost all visable allied units on the western and eastern front.

1939 scen:

First fast observation.

The map needs to be bigger to get a better scale. At this point all I can see is "city hopping" where nearly all battles will accure in cities.

Im a bit confused about the Civ selection. (I havent played many turns so I dont know if there is some "events" to present more Ai civs).
But Sweden, Norway and Denmark absolutly must be separated. "League of nations", Why? Yougoslavia, Greece, Slovakia, Rumania, Bulgary, Turkey and more are most importent in this kind of scen.

Civ games are historicly rather bad at simluation the Phony war and cutting out poland is one way of "fixing" that. Thus starting at the first western front offensives.

Thanks... maybe a comprimise - 15% or 20% if necessary. We have soooo many buildings to use to increase research, it is really in the hands of the scenario builder with all the unique buildings to flesh out the best rate to research.

Cheers... ...Jungle

Maybe we have so many buildings but we cant build :) Main priority in my opinion to set building cost much lower or cities start with already some production improvement as factory, as in reality Germany was a very industrial nation, in the scenario just a couple. Anyway, as there are many advances, I suggest to decrease the research points needed too.
I agree with some unaccuracy about german army, no artillery and no bombers looks wrong, while northern navy forces are too strong, I would change a couple of battleship with transports. I dont agree about tank number because Germany was a leader in tank production and it has always been his key force and the reason because blitzkrieg was possible.
Someone tested this scenario as allies?

General observation:

Armour units should be seriously penalised when attacking cities.

D-day scen:

If the map would focus for example only on the western front allied offensive the scale of the map could be done much better and easier to balance.

One more benefit would be that the vast amount of units would be cut to a more manageble amount.

I havent played all that many turns but in my game as Germany on monarchy diff the scen starts out rater easy IMO. The first turn is ending up with a real massacre of almost all visable allied units on the western and eastern front.

1939 scen:

First fast observation.

The map needs to be bigger to get a better scale. At this point all I can see is "city hopping" where nearly all battles will accure in cities.

Im a bit confused about the Civ selection. (I havent played many turns so I dont know if there is some "events" to present more Ai civs).
But Sweden, Norway and Denmark absolutly must be separated. "League of nations", Why? Yougoslavia, Greece, Slovakia, Rumania, Bulgary, Turkey and more are most importent in this kind of scen.

Civ games are historicly rather bad at simluation the Phony war and cutting out poland is one way of "fixing" that. Thus starting at the first western front offensives.

Thanks for the input for the D-Day Scenario - since that is mine, I will address that. Were you playing the most recent scenario downloaded from http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=4152 ? In the version that shipped with the mod, it was very light indeed on balance. If you'll try the latest version out and let me know what you think after 10-20 turns, that will let me know if the desired difficulty level is o.k. for 'most' players or needs to be even more difficult for the Germans. Watch for the reinforcements every 3-5 turns...

As for the rest - noted and I will see what I can do...

Thanks... ...Jungle

Maybe we have so many buildings but we cant build :) Main priority in my opinion to set building cost much lower or cities start with already some production improvement as factory, as in reality Germany was a very industrial nation, in the scenario just a couple. Anyway, as there are many advances, I suggest to decrease the research points needed too.
I agree with some unaccuracy about german army, no artillery and no bombers looks wrong, while northern navy forces are too strong, I would change a couple of battleship with transports. I dont agree about tank number because Germany was a leader in tank production and it has always been his key force and the reason because blitzkrieg was possible.
Someone tested this scenario as allies?

Thanks... Good suggestions... I will tinker with those forces and the mix. Again - keep an eye out every day or two for most recent tweaks of the scenario...

Cheers... ...JungleIII

I got all flag as white, any way to fix this?

Iheared that's some issue with graphic card with this white flag i'll see what i can do

Your mods look really fun but ... no Canada for the WW2 is a bit weird in my mind... Canada was full part of WW2 and without our Boat after Pearl Harbor, you guys was toast.

Canada have been part of WW2 and if you think about the fact that we are the second biggest country in the world, i think we should be part of this mods even if we are weak like everyone think.

Alots of Canadian are playing Civ4 and like to play as their Country.

My opinion !

Top Bottom