Better BUG AI

If you were using r42 or r43 then not crashing all the time is impossible, and r44 should fix this. I have no idea why you couldn't crash this mod though, maybe you were already on 2010-03-06?
I have since rewrittten that part that crashed (not committed though), the code looks almost the same as when it was crashing, only now it doesn't. If you want to read
The crash could only happen when an AI had at least construction to build siege units, that's why it takes so long to happen.

Everything is all fine and dandy for me now, no crashes at all. Thanks a bunch, really love this.

If you were using r42 or r43 then not crashing all the time is impossible, and r44 should fix this. I have no idea why you couldn't crash this mod though, maybe you were already on 2010-03-06?
I have since rewrittten that part that crashed (not committed though), the code looks almost the same as when it was crashing, only now it doesn't. If you want to read
The crash could only happen when an AI had at least construction to build siege units, that's why it takes so long to happen.

Ok, it's sounding more and more like this will be a non-issue. I downloaded it yesterday and I think it was r43. It probably was crashing all the time, I just didn't go far enough into a couple of the test games. And the mod download probably was from the 6th. :blush:.

Around the time of Construction sounds like exactly the time it would usually crash. In a couple games it was even around 2000BC.

The icon problem I simply wasn't aware of, as I am always using a mod chooser utility instead of links. Being without icon extraction (from civ4bts exe) and editing software, I am simply unable to create an icon that is both different from default and still looks like bts, so I'll just use bts icon from now on. There are icon plugins for PS cs4, I wouldn't know which one tough and I still need to extract the one from the exe. Oh right, w7 needs special care. heh

Is there anyone else having the same problem perhaps? Maybe the problem is on my end?

Downloaded 03-06-10 version and for some reason "Perfect World" map script would not load. It would freeze at "Initializing". I tried a a few times, no luck. Then I loaded continents, and it worked fine, no crashes or anything like that yet? Any possible reasons for PerfectWorld map not loading?

I know what's wrong. I tried Perfect World for the first time today, and at first I too started wondering if it was really working, but I thought it was just taking a while to generate the map - which it was. So if it's taking forever it's probably just because your computer can't handle it very well, but it should finish in a few minutes.

PerfectWorld2 is a slow mapscript. Unless my version is considerably slower than the one from cephalo it's not my fault, it's the script.

@MadmanAtW: nice to hear it's working now.

@Melhisedek: I don't know anything about windows 6.x but I hope if a link is created without specifying any icon - which is what future installers will do- , it will properly use and display the first icon of the linked exe, even on w7.

Yes, I do. BUG python stuff changed, some python files are now gone. So if you just overwrite, some old python files will remain - and break Diplomacy. See this post by EmperorFool for more info
You need to delete either your whole assets folder or at least the python part, and replace it with the updated one.
I'm running into the same problem (no diplomacy text) after installing this mod over top of an existing BUG install and EF's post wasn't completely clear. Which Assets folder? The one under C:\Program Files, or the one under \My Games\? :confused: Or should I just wait until the next iteration which will hopefully fix this?

@Melhisedek: New 03-09 installer does no longer specify any icon, I hope that solves your white link problem.
Otherwise it's not really much of an update, just a few tiny fixes for BULL and BUG.
Neither Better AI r534 nor my valuation code for happy/health building nor the fixed one for collateral damage units are included in this update, since none of these things are really tested yet.
So this release is some sort of stable release before I start putting in the new experimental code.

I can't thank you enough for this mod/merge mod. It makes Civ IV a whole lot better for me! :)

I have one question: Is it possible to play on savegames from older versions of the mod? (I see the latest version fixes a few issues for me, compared to the one I downloaded about a week ago) I'm guessing not, but I thought I'd ask to be sure.

Also, I have a suggestion: An option to keep the previous settings for BUG when installing a new version of Better BUG AI. (Settings such as customized Domestic Advisor screen, Alerts, and other options in BUG)

@Melhisedek: New 03-09 installer does no longer specify any icon, I hope that solves you white link problem.
Otherwise it's not really much of an update, just a few tiny fixes for BULL and BUG.
Neither Better AI r534 nor my valuation code for happy/health building nor the fixed one for collateral damage units are included in this update, since none of these things are really tested yet.
So this release is some sort of stable release before I start putting in the new experimental code.

Worked perfectly, thanks a lot mate :goodjob:

I have one question: Is it possible to play on savegames from older versions of the mod?
The savegames produced with the dll of this mod might not be compaticle to standard bts, bull or better ai, but new versions of this same mod do not break savegames of older versions.
(Should one ever do that, I'd add a warming in big flashing letters to the announcement ;) )

Also, I have a suggestion: An option to keep the previous settings for BUG when installing a new version of Better BUG AI. (Settings such as customized Domestic Advisor screen, Alerts, and other options in BUG)
Does installing a new version over the old (installing new without deinstalling the old) really kill the settings? I was hoping not.
In any case, the safe method to not lose your settings in an update is to do it manually: Download the installer but don't run it, instead extract the contents with 7zip to your Better BUG AI mod folder (after deleting the assets/python folder there, otherwise you might run into the diplo trouble other people mentioned).

When I install a new version it asks me to uninstall the old version first. An option to keep the old settings would be nice. Thanks again.

I am able to do this manually, but I thought since you have this pretty installer already, this might not be hard to implement as a check box in future versions (but what do I know, I'm not a coder).

I am getting OoS again in Better BUG AI. I still haven't nailed them down, but anecdotally they seem to happen sometimes when there is a change in who is willing to trade what resources to whom changes. I don't think there's a OoS every time I get such a message, but the OoSs that came last night all were accompanied by such a message. That's not strong enough evidence to be sure, but if it turns out to be accurate that points things more in a BULLish direction than AIish.

I think I didn't get any OoSs in the 6 hour 3 player game over the weekend because we started a new game and with 3 human players (one of whom only been playing Civ for a few weeks) it was of necessity slow, so I suspect we didn't get to, say, Calender when the good stuff starts being offered for trade.

I will continue to investigate.

This combination of jdog5000's AI improvement mod Better BTS AI and EmperorFool's interface improvement mod BTS Unaltered Gameplay is the most advanced/refined/bestest mod (afaik;)) that does not change game rules (or at least tries to, for the most part)
ooy! :mad: I love it when people use the BUG mod as a base for something else and the only thing that the BUG team typically request is suggested improvements and appropriate recognition! The BUG mod is put together by a team of people. Sure - EF is the mostest technically advanced of us, but the others certainly bring value that should be recognized :sad:.

Top Bottom