Realism Invictus

@Walter

I am the administrator, but I tried both with administrator rights on and without. I even tried creating the mod folder before running the installer.

I've had problems occasionally running Civ IV mod installers even with administrator rights on. In the past I had two work arounds. I set the mod folders/subfolders rights to all rights for everyone. The other thing I've done is install the mod to the desktop and then copy to the mod folder, but I can't try that with this installer.

I thought of one more thing I could try. Would it ruin the install if I created a 'beyond the sword' folder on my desktop and used that as the install directory?

Here are what I think are other potential problem areas.
1. Installer won't work if it can't autodetect the path to the 'beyond the sword' directory
2. Installer won't work with Windows 7 - 64 bit
3. Installer won't work with my 'beyond the sword' path maybe the ' (x86)' part
4. The mod folder is being created in such a way that it is write protected with Windows 7

Congratulations. Total Realism is the first mod I downloaded & what inspired me to create my own personal mod. Can't wait to get home tonight to download the BTS version & see how it's processed.

I'm wondering if those having installation problems might also have registry issues. Worth a shot taking a look at.

I've had problems occasionally running Civ IV mod installers even with administrator rights on. In the past I had two work arounds. I set the mod folders/subfolders rights to all rights for everyone. The other thing I've done is install the mod to the desktop and then copy to the mod folder, but I can't try that with this installer.

Contrary I never had any problems with any mod installers yet, what's more always instaled TR mod since vanilla version up to RI beta without any problems. So I believe the problem must be with installer itself.

Contrary I never had any problems with any mod installers yet, what's more always instaled TR mod since vanilla version up to RI beta without any problems. So I believe the problem must be with installer itself.

I think you are right - I just wanted to throw everything out there. I'm willing to bet the problem is that the "beyond the sword" path is not saved (or passed on to another program correctly) when autodetect doesn't work. Based on the error messages it looks like the install path is only the part after the 'beyond the sword' part and so the path begins with "\".

How slow should I expect the world map scenario to be? I'm only in the first few turns and turn time is over 20 seconds, whereas with BTS and every single other mod I've played, it's been less than one second this early in the game with the largest map settings.

everyone said:
Installer woes.

I have Win7 64bit myself, and we also have team members with XP. The OS itself should not be the main culprit here. You are saying that the installer cannot properly autodetect Civ4. Do you have Steam version, or maybe Complete edition?

How slow should I expect the world map scenario to be? I'm only in the first few turns and turn time is over 20 seconds, whereas with BTS and every single other mod I've played, it's been less than one second this early in the game with the largest map settings.

Well, the World Map is pretty slow indeed on most machines. It is very large and has lots of stuff placed from the start. But a good thing about it is exactly that - lots of stuff placed from the start, which means that performance drops much slower when you progress further. Still - and this point is even in the manual - the world map is VERY demanding when it comes to specs.

@ Walter

I have the impulse driven version of the complete edition.

I was able to install your previous Warlords version with no problem.

I run vista 32, the huge world map with all the civs run painfully slow. As a previous poster stated it takes about 20 seconds per turn. What I did find out though running in a large random computer generated map, with less civs it ran much quicker.

It's fun so far, my only suggestion which I saw was rebuffed in the warlords addition is to make a large or huge map of Europe to play this on. random maps are ok, but factual maps I find more enjoyable.

Other than that great work, and thanks for bringing this to BTS.

Well, the World Map is pretty slow indeed on most machines. It is very large and has lots of stuff placed from the start. But a good thing about it is exactly that - lots of stuff placed from the start, which means that performance drops much slower when you progress further. Still - and this point is even in the manual - the world map is VERY demanding when it comes to specs.
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think most players interpret "slow" or even "very slow" to mean 2000% slower. It would be good to specify in the documentation that the map is unplayable on reasonable hardware.

- I played a standard-sized terra map for a little bit and I liked that a lot, but I was landlocked and barbarians just absolutely swarmed me, which was tedious. I don't know if that's because of the mod, or just the way even vanilla civ will kill you with barbs with some continent shapes.

- I like the new ancient era music! I've been hoping to see mods with new music for a while now.

- The terrain and unit art is awesome. RI terrain is the first realistic terrain I've liked since Blue Marble. I noticed that the with the asian scout model the human dies first, leaving a horse behind. Seems a little strange. The bombastic, bouncing clams freak me out a little.

- The manual could use some editing for grammar and writing style. Do you have anyone helping with that?

- I don't like seeing lots of little bonuses on things. I realize it adds up, and I'm sure it's balanced well in RI, but usually anything under 10% might as well not be in the game. Also, similar bonuses like 10% and 15% on the same promotion or unit might as well just all be 10%. The difference isn't meaningful.

- Some names seem awkward, like the mod was run through Babelfish. Fishing Dock should be Wharf, Metal Lore should be Metalworking, etc. Why is Ritual a technology? I didn't have rituals before?

- I like the new ancient era music! I've been hoping to see mods with new music for a while now.

Haven't heard any of that yet, but it's something I'm hoping to hear. The menu music--would that be something by Shostakovich? It sounds a lot like him in many ways, but I can't place it. Will you be replacing all of the various era's music? Let me know if you can use any assistance with this, assuming that's the case.

- The terrain and unit art is awesome. RI terrain is the first realistic terrain I've liked since Blue Marble.

Feels a bit dark, as in needing the brightness turned up, but looks very attractive. Really like the shading on the hills, especially at the shoreline. First time it's felt as though there was 3D involved.

gratulation to the release of the mod :)

and Walter Hawkwood - now you have to edit your avatar ;)

D/Led it been playing it.....really great! I do have a couple of concerns: 1 Barbarians seem really aggressive in the mod and 2 Why is the Amber resource found in WATER?

I have Win7 64bit myself, and we also have team members with XP. The OS itself should not be the main culprit here. You are saying that the installer cannot properly autodetect Civ4. Do you have Steam version, or maybe Complete edition?

Standard box english version, patched.
For sure everything is fine with my BTS, dozens of other mods get installed without any problem. I tell you there is something wrong with installer :)

I now updated SVN folder with latest version - at least this way, I will be able to play it for now.

How big is the world map?

Very big, bigger than "Huge" random map.

Maps: Are you guys aware of this mod: The_J's Starting Positions?

Will take a look. Looks interesting.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think most players interpret "slow" or even "very slow" to mean 2000% slower. It would be good to specify in the documentation that the map is unplayable on reasonable hardware.

Depends on your interpretation of reasonable. My hardware is around 2 years old, and WM is rather playable for me, if somewhat slow. I am running an MP game of it now. But anyway, it IS mentioned in the manual that it should not be tried on older hardware.

I played a standard-sized terra map for a little bit and I liked that a lot, but I was landlocked and barbarians just absolutely swarmed me, which was tedious. I don't know if that's because of the mod, or just the way even vanilla civ will kill you with barbs with some continent shapes.

I haven't played vanilla civ for so long that I don't remember how barbarians feel there. But I can confirm that they work as intended in our mod currently. Some advice on that: firstly, raging barbarians are on by default - if you find there are too many for your liking, you can turn that option off; secondly, controlling territory is a good idea - barbarians don't spawn in your units' line of sight. Therefore, several units strategically placed outside your borders can radically lessen the number of barbarians around you; and thirdly, yeah, a landlocked spawn with few neighbors and few "natural borders", such as mountain ranges is an invitation for lots of barbarians.

The terrain and unit art is awesome. RI terrain is the first realistic terrain I've liked since Blue Marble. I noticed that the with the asian scout model the human dies first, leaving a horse behind. Seems a little strange. The bombastic, bouncing clams freak me out a little.

The order of units dying is random - so you can end up with a single horse or dog when they are included as figures. I find that mildly hilarious myself. As for clams, I don't think we changed anything about them. Any animations they could have would be a part of vanilla civ4 (although admittedly it might not be active there).

The manual could use some editing for grammar and writing style. Do you have anyone helping with that?

Well, English is non-native for all the team save one person, whose main asset is not English, but Python and other more useful languages. :) So we scrape by with what we have.

I don't like seeing lots of little bonuses on things. I realize it adds up, and I'm sure it's balanced well in RI, but usually anything under 10% might as well not be in the game. Also, similar bonuses like 10% and 15% on the same promotion or unit might as well just all be 10%. The difference isn't meaningful.

The way combat in Civ4 works, even 5% can be very meaningful. For equal strength units, 5% difference means a jump in more than 5% combat chance. Combat chance calculation is a very non-linear thing.

Some names seem awkward, like the mod was run through Babelfish. Fishing Dock should be Wharf, Metal Lore should be Metalworking, etc. Why is Ritual a technology? I didn't have rituals before?

Can't a wharf also be interpreted as a kind of shipyard? I know in Russian this word means precisely "shipyard". Metal Lore should not be Metalworking, since this tech does not presume the ability to work metals - it is exactly what it says on the tin, the knowledge of where to look for shiny rocks with metal veins. You can notice how it is many techs apart from, say, bronze working. As for Ritual, when you mention it, it kinda does sound a bit silly. But IIRC, the tech represents the codification of ritual sets that earlier only existed in popular tradition to be included into official religion.

and Walter Hawkwood - now you have to edit your avatar ;)

True; will probably make new ones for the team. :D

D/Led it been playing it.....really great! I do have a couple of concerns: 1 Barbarians seem really aggressive in the mod and 2 Why is the Amber resource found in WATER?

Barbarians are intended to be a (more) real threat than in vanilla Civ4, but if you don't like that, you can tone them down by switching raging barbarians off.

As for amber - could it be that it most amber in the world is found in water IRL? To quote Wiki, "Pieces of amber torn from the seafloor are cast up by the waves, and collected by hand, dredging or diving". There are indeed some mineable land sources of amber, but they account for less than 10% of world production.

Standard box english version, patched.
For sure everything is fine with my BTS, dozens of other mods get installed without any problem. I tell you there is something wrong with installer :)

That I understand well - but the questions might help us determine what exactly went wrong.

I've tried the mod and the raging barbarians option does make it tough, but also interesting, it seems to run well (on a standard map, I know my laptop isn't up to scratch) has some unique features I've not seen before, like the doctirnes from the great generals....although it often wasn't immediately clear what the doctrines did.

Having lots of different units and even the negative traits certainly made picking a civ more interesting as I usually go for the english or america, now I feel happy enough to go for pretty much any civ.

Just wondering though, the different types of units for the different civs, are they just flavour, so only different in name and appearance, or do they also have slightly different stats?

Another thing, I noticed on my first game (when starting as Russia) that my free Nordic Warrior didn't come with the same bonus as a newly built Nordic Warrior, the Heavy Aid promo.

Most flavor units have slightly (or even radically) different stats. As for aid bonuses, I very much recommend to read the section of the manual devoted to stack aid; it is a whole new system, those aren't real promos that are intrinsic to units, but rather a representation of tactical benefits other units in the tile give to that unit (therefore, your second warrior got heavy aid 1 from the first warrior at the tile).

Top Bottom