Requests for new components (and features)

Boys,

Ever mindful of the wear and tear on the psyche of the average Civ player, Lemon Labs has been working feverishly on this very issue.

(Actually, you gave ame a great idea.)

I have found a way to accommodate your musical request with some crafty XML editing. The file CIV4EraInfos.XML has the names of the background music selections in it. I have set them all to <NONE>, thus removing the BG music, but leaving the diplo and movie music intact. Simply unzip this file:

View attachment 261711

Into your favorite mod's Assets\XML\Gameinfo folder, or into Custom Assets\XML\GameInfo, and enjoy!

Tres simple!

Is there anything you can't do? :cool:

I have found a way to accommodate your musical request with some crafty XML editing. The file CIV4EraInfos.XML has the names of the background music selections in it. I have set them all to <NONE>, thus removing the BG music, but leaving the diplo and movie music intact.
Yay - thanks! :) That's a place I wouldn't have looked at in ages. :blush:

and enjoy!

You bet! :) File will be put to use immediately. :)

you know, I have a sneaking suspicion that the current pic is the real LM ... and all of the other pic changes are just a smoke screen so that no one actually realizes ... well, LM ... the gig us up!!

you know, I have a sneaking suspicion that the current pic is the real LM ... and all of the other pic changes are just a smoke screen so that no one actually realizes ... well, LM ... the gig us up!!

No, I don't believe that Lemon is Chrissie Hynde's alias, but that certainly would help out the "Celebrities Who Play Civ" thread. :)

No, I don't believe that Lemon is Chrissie Hynde's alias, but that certainly would help out the "Celebrities Who Play Civ" thread. :)
I could never in a million years be even one one hundredth as cool as Chrissie. Never.

I am such a fudging' geek. I'm teaching myself Python, C++, and Lua for God's sake. :blush: :lol::lol:

But for Ruff's piece of mind, I picked the picture because yes, it does look exactly like moi, right down to the haircut. :p

I once saw the pretenders play Macquaurie Bar ... the Best Tutorial in Town.

BULL idea:

When a group of workers is assigned a task, BULL ungroups the workers and assigns each one to complete the task individually. The net result is the same - all the workers building the improvement. BUT, this would address a long standing problem I've had with worker groups:

Assume workers A,B,C & D are assigned the task of building an improvement while they are all selected (grouped). They get to it. A couple turns later the improvement is constructed and workers A & B contributed to it that turn so they are out of movement points. Workers C & D weren't needed to complete the improvement that turn and have all of their movement points. Problem is: they're still grouped with A & B so they won't show up as needing new instructions during the unit cycling and they won't keep the end-turn indicator green.

Of course this should probably be an option-controlled feature like the rest.

More to consider:

I think I uncovered a small quirk in the pre-chop improvement and forests functionality. Here's the scenario that results in the forest still being chopped.

Worker A is assigned to chop/improve. Worker B is then moved from a different tile and also set to chop/improve. Since there's only 1 turn left, worker B's chop order is cancelled as expected, but worker A's chop order remains. This results in worker A chopping the forest next turn.

I believe if the workers were grouped first before given their chop order, the logic would work since the cancel order would also apply to the group.

You may want to alter the logic a little to clear chop orders at the beginning of the next turn before and units move. Every worker on the tile would also need to be stopped. I believe the current logic fails because worker A had >1 turns to go at the time he was given the order. When worker B shortened the time, worker A was never checked again.

I will definitely fix the problem with multiple ungrouped workers pre-chopping the same tile. The other idea, while great, sounds quite complex, and that area of code is rather obnoxious in its design. I can take a look at it, but I can't promise anything. You might try to get jdog interested in it as he's more familiar with that area of the code than me.

I thought I saw something about pre-chop being fixed in a thread or the changelog. Can't find it at the moment. In any event, the problem of ungrouped workers and pre-chop (inner most quote above) persists as of BULL r200.

Understand my idea of "auto ungrouping" is complex. Would it be any better to have an option to simply ungroup all workers on a tile when an improvement is completed? Would accomplish the same goal.

First of all let me say I'm a big fan of what you BUG guys (or was it just EF? :dunno:) did with the interface for warnings about hammer decay. In my mind the idea I'm giving you below is similar in some ways.

When a culture-producing building reaches 1000 years of age it doubles its cultural output. In games where culture in a city becomes important, and where precise information about a city's cultural output in the near future becomes handy to know, it'd be great to have in the city screen when mousing over a building, something like "Built in X AD/BC". I figure since it's easy yet tedious enough for the player to simply record whenever a building is built, it would be a valid addition to BUG.

It'd be great to have in the city screen when mousing over a building, something like "Built in X AD/BC".

Done. You'll see the year each building was built and how many years until its culture (each commerce actually) doubles if it will in the future. While I would like the effect to show exactly how much the commerce value will increase, taking into account the city's modifiers, I don't have the time to do that at the moment.

The problem of ungrouped workers and pre-chop persists as of BULL r200.

Fixed in r212. I'm a little worried about including this with so little play-testing, but I tried a few cases, and it seems to work.

Done. You'll see the year each building was built and how many years until its culture (each commerce actually) doubles if it will in the future. While I would like the effect to show exactly how much the commerce value will increase, taking into account the city's modifiers, I don't have the time to do that at the moment.

Awesome. Thanks. I was assuming, and hope it was indeed the case, that this was something fairly straight forward.

About showing the exact increase, I wouldn't worry about that - the main thing is knowing what year it is the "commerce" doubling occurs, because it can't be worked out unless it's explicitly recorded in advance.

Yes, it was pretty easy to do. The original owner and build time are stored for each building type, and the number of years before each commerce doubles is part of the building definition.

I was tempted to work out the number of turns before it doubles, but the SDK doesn't provide a function to go from years to turns--only turns to years--and I didn't want to bother looping to get the answer even though it would have been fairly simple.

Top Bottom