General Annoyances List

It's a good mechanic because it's preventing you from only focusing on one thing and ignoring other things to the detriment of your empire.

If you choose to be so single minded as to follow one and only one goal for the advancement of your empire, you are going to suffer in other areas. That's an amazing mechanic because it prevents you from just clicking on future tech on T0 and going thru the game on auto pilot. Your decisions have consequences, and an empire is not built on science alone.

I hate the spying mechanism and find it annoying. Particularly when I get fed up with the AIs stealing techs and I get penalized with a negative modifier for telling them to quit spying on me.

I can see forgiving the first time or two, but after that? Basically "forgiving" them for stealing is simply saying "steal whatever you want." It's like posting a sign on my apartment door that says "free stuff inside."

And it is frustrating. Heck--it's like somebody bumps into me at the bar. I say--don't worry about it. Then later the guy does it again. And later again--and I keep saying "don't worry about."

Then the guy walks up and punches me in the face.

And I suppose to forgive that as well?

That's what this spying nonsense is. Why should I be penalized for telling the AI to quit stealing, especially when he has promised not to do it again?

I apologize but this spy nonsense really ticks me off.

There is no point to tell them to stop, in fact, I want them to attempt to steal, since that's how to level up spies to coup CS.

exactly. if the AI is stealing from you it means they are behind. you shouldn't care about the AIs that are behind, only those ahead. this goes for peaceful as well as domination victories. leveling up your spies is crucial and this is (sadly) the only way to do it in the lategame. you want them to steal as often as possible so your spies don't end up useless trying to get 60 turn steals off or rigging elections with 1 promotion..

^^I see you and Sclb's points. And I do realize that it's important to get my spies leveled up.

But sometimes it just gets so frustrating when my techs are stolen, especially when multiple AIs steal techs on the same turn.

I hear you, docbud, but whenever I play games with espionage turned off something doesn't feel right to me, and that alone makes the frustration of theft tolerable for me. I quite enjoy stealing when I'm not the tech leader, so I don't mind them stealing back when I'm starting to run away with it. Espionage will hopefully be richer come Civ VI.

^^It would probably feel weird to me if I turned off espionage, as well. I'm usually the tech leader (or near the top) so I normally don't steal from the AI. Or even if I am behind, the spies take so long to steal that it's faster for me to tech it.

And I've had bad luck stealing techs--it seems the majority of the time my spy gets killed the first time.

I do enjoy spies for keeping my city states, but that's pretty much the only thing I use them for (unless I need to use them as diplomats). I keep one spy in my capital.

Airplane animations. The worst of all is especially when the AI decides to send 3-4-5 great war bombers to bomb a submarine ... they fly so slow, and make rounds and rounds and rounds above it ... ugh!

^^I hear 'ya. I prefer to not to turn on quick animation (or whatever it's called), but when the AI starts using fighters and bombers it seems like an eternity for my turn to roll around.

This deal has faded in our eyes over the years blablablAa..

OK FINE I WON'T SELL YOU THAT ONE HORSE FOR 2 BUCKS ANYMORE PLEASE STOP HARASSING ME EVERY TURN

:,(

Using a GE to finish a wonder on your next turn, not knowing that an AI is due to finish it this turn.

As has already been mentioned, AI missionary/Prophet spam. And worse when I don't get a religion, or get a poor one they don't bother spreading it to my cities it seems. Or when a 'good' religion (one with 'Sacred Sites' say) gets spread to one of my cities it get wiped out by another competing religion the next turn :(

Being unable to move workers onto tiles with neutral units; Ok a CS wants a road to my capital - move your units out of the way then!

This has probably already been mentioned but when you are playing on higher levels and you see a sweet spot for a second city and the AI nab it before you can get your settler built. I recently rage quite a game that was only a few turns old because the dream spot for Spain whom I was playing as (NW and loads of lux + resources) was nabbed by Dido. I tried to block her approach but then Barbarians appeared at the most annoying time possible.

Which brings me to another annoying thing - Barbarians. The buggers always appear smack bang in the spot where I want to build me 2nd/3rd city lol

There is no point to tell them to stop, in fact, I want them to attempt to steal, since that's how to level up spies to coup CS.
this is usually my use for spies, especially since the AI tends to steal from you regardless of where you stand science-wise with the rest of the world. i could be dead last and still have the AI stealing techs it skipped over from me. though if i'm dead last i'm probably stealing from the leader

if you aren't dead last in tech, put a spy in your capital and kill other spies, then use the opportunities to get positive diplomatic modifiers along with your free spy levels

Auto-heal sets the unit to just sit there in silence until it either dies or fully heals, at which point they prompt you to move the unit again.

Fail. Any unit that takes damage should be taken out of whatever automatic thing you set it to, that's kind of a no-brainer.

edit: Note that they were smart enough to make it so workers stop automating when a unit is in range to capture it, but not smart enough to make it so a scout doesn't just sit there slowly dying as a barbarian archer shoots at it over 10 turns.

Auto-heal sets the unit to just sit there in silence until it either dies or fully heals, at which point they prompt you to move the unit again.

Fail. Any unit that takes damage should be taken out of whatever automatic thing you set it to, that's kind of a no-brainer.

Agreed. I tried using Alert instead for a while, but it's easy to forget about the unit in the case when it doesn't get approached. Now I'm using Do Nothing, which avoids these problems but doesn't give as good a fortification bonus I believe, and of course you have to do it every turn. What is needed is "heal until healthy or approached". Even then, you might prefer to move the unit once it reaches 90% health for example.

I have a map mod that I'd LIKE to use, (Saskatchuwan Manitoba), it is ENABLED, how do I get the game to actually CHOOSE & USE this mod map; and which map TYPE does it fall under when I set up the game ??

This is why I would`ve liked more immersive advisors that pop up and inform you of imprtant situations or even newspaper headlines that pop-up from time to time. It could even be an audible voice over, `Ahem, Sire, you`re people are on the brink of major unhappiness with you.` or `You`re city development is about to grow, Sir!` Something perhaps a real ruler would see or hear, rather than hoping he spots a particular important problem in time.

1. Seagulls. Terrible Seagull animations. Does not one else get bored with this repetitive animation that goes on for hours and hours? Anyone?

2. Bad AI without mods. It seems like the AI does not understand that a DOW at times is a terrible mistake. And... still, too much denouncing.

3. Leader screens. Not so much the screens but the fact that the clothing stays the same no matter what era. I hated it in 4 and hated it in 5 as well.

3. Leader screens. Not so much the screens but the fact that the clothing stays the same no matter what era. I hated it in 4 and hated it in 5 as well.

yeah not sure why they reverted this from civ3. I remember the clothes changed with the eras in 3.

Top Bottom