New OS due for release

diablodelmar

no comment
I think that microsoft is going to release a new OS this year; i think it is called vista or longhorn (maybe both). I think its about time as XP has been out a while.

Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Windows Vista is due out in Q4 of 06. around christmas, i believe. Its either going to be an excellent OS, or a total piece of garbage

Its either going to be an excellent OS, or a total piece of garbage

Not really... from my use of the beta I have no reason to think that it'll be "garbage" unless they seriously screw up the work they've aleady done in the next year before release. The main thing is what will distinguish Vista from XP? There is the eye candy (Aero Glass), of course, and a few minor improvements... (better search feature, for example). There are some other interesting things, but nothing really ground breaking. I guess it remains to be seen.

Personally, I don't forsee upgrading to Vista until at least a year or so after its release... maybe when they get WinFS out. I've debated on be an early adopter for Vista, but I just don't see much reason other than just for the heck of it.

I agree, as another early adopter (haven't been betaing vista though, you've got me there) I think that if you want stability/functionality you have to wait for at least a couple of updates.

Padma said:
I haven't followed MS too closely lately, but I think Vista (nee Longhorn) is scheduled to be released early 2007?

July 23 2006 released to PC vendors, September/october 06 to general public. However we must remember that it was supposed to be released 3 years ago. So 07 might be right.

Great, my school's windows 95s and 98s are even more outdated. Why don't they give us some good equipment? We got all this old stuff. Our programs are well developed and it is the most popular (and in truth, a heck of a lot less snobbish than one of the other 2) highschools in the area.

I'm using win2k and am very happy with it. Can't see why i should upgrade to XP, much less why i should go for vista.

i'd love to try vista out for myself, but i do not subscribe to MSDN

I read vista was less BLOATED then XP ?

:(

I read vista was less BLOATED then XP ?

In what way?

As far as disk space required (if you don't count the pagefile and etc) is 2-2.5GB. A fair increase vs XP, but peanuts given the size of drives today.

Speedo said:
In what way?

As far as disk space required (if you don't count the pagefile and etc) is 2-2.5GB. A fair increase vs XP, but peanuts given the size of drives today.

The initial loading of Vista is a lot faster and uses up less system memory. (Perhapes the reviwers were using a very early beta version)

Which got my hopes up Vista would be less Bloatware and more effecient.

FriendlyFire said:
Which got my hopes up Vista would be less Bloatware and more effecient.

M$ doesn't remove it's programs from the OS unless they get a court order and even then not until all appeals are over.:rolleyes:

MarineCorps said:
M$ doesn't remove it's programs from the OS unless they get a court order and even then not until all appeals are over.:rolleyes:

You can always use third party software suck as
"XPLITE" to remove some 350megs of software right off windows (yes it even removes IE, OL and MSN)

Top Bottom