Bug? Only moving 1 square on my own roads

Chong Warrior

Chieftain
I've never experienced this before, is it new to Conquests? I've played Civ, Civ II & Civ III many, many times but never actually played Conquests until the other day!!

It's really annoying me as it just seems so random as to how many squares my units can move within my own borders on roads. Examples my cavalry can only move 4 squares maximum, isn't is supposed to be 6?

I'm under attack from the AI for pretty much the first time ever because my units aren't able to move about properly! sometimes they'll move 3, mostly 2 and sometimes only 1 square on roads... doing my head in.

Just built a MDI to attack a unit coming to my town and he moved 1 square and that was it, his turn is over even though all the tiles are roads, WTF? Even cavalry only move 2 sometimes?!!

Am I missing something simple here? does it now matter what the terrain is or something? haven't played civilization for about 18 months, I've just started playing it this week and as I said it's the first time I've ever played Conquests..

Cheers for any help

Yeah that's exactly how I remember it. Infantry move 1 square, or 3 squares if they all have the road improvement no matter what the terrain?

As I said I noticed all my units just having random movement points on roads (pretty much every single tile is a road in my own borders) Just got to the point where I couldn't ignore it when a newly built unit coming out of the city (all tiles are roads) moves just one square and that's it, end of his turn!!

Is this a bug?

Padma said:
Crossing rivers (Until you learn Construction) costs as if no Road.
Um, I think that's Until you learn Engineering. ;)

In any event, if he has cavalry, Engineering is a prerequisite for Military Tradition. The problem would occur for cavalry if he's on unroaded tiles, especially forests, hills or mountains.

Edit: Just saw his second post. If this were pre-Engineering and your unit crosses a river bordering your city, that would use up the full movements even with a road.

OK thanks for your time guys ;)

I'm rusty with this game and you might have hit on something there as I remember there are a few rivers in my borders... I think this might be what's making things look so random.

I'm going to load it back up and see if that's it.

EDIT: Is this new to Conquests or Civ III, don't remember rivers acting like this before..

Padma said:
And Chong: IIRC, it's been that way in all versions of Civ3.
Funny I've never noticed it before! I remember rivers were treated as roads on Civ II and offered free movement points early in the game...

In my current game there's a huge river that runs straight through the middle of my empire, it's about 30+ tiles long. Explains all the trouble I've been having :blush:

Hmm, this game is so $@#!!%^$ addictive!! I remember why I left it so long now, don't want to do anything but sit and play this damn game :crazyeye: :lol:

I hear you!!

not sure why cavs are having a problem, but I would assume that there is an unroaded tile somewhere - or you are walking across another civs borders by accident. Unless you have ROP, you don't get bonuses from their roads.

Upload a save, and we can look at it and tell you what's going on.

And sending us some pizza and beer would help, too. :D

There's no need, it was the river causing my problems. Half my cities are built actually on the river, so half the time they'd move as expected i.e. 3 tiles per movement point but if they moved the other way and over the river they'd move just the 1 square, 2 if they were on horseback.

As I didn't notice the river penalty movement just seemed very sporadic and as if my units just moved as far as they damn well pleased, was making life very difficult. I was shocked seeing my neighbours pouring over and taking my cities on the borders as my reinforcements just couldn't get there in time... only playing Monarch level aswell :blush:

In my defence the invading force are the Mongols, never played them before and they have the Keshik aswell as the Statue of Zeus, so they have pretty much the perfect ingredients to take advantage of someone struggling with movement...

I've since resumed the game armed with my new found knowledge and am in the process of handing out a right good spanking to the invading Mongols with the help of my new found friends.. the Russians, who kindly stabbed them in the back for a free advance and some shiny gold coins :D

EDIT:- I can't believe it's pretty much 2 years since I last played this game... was enjoying having a social life! can kiss that goodbye this weekend :lol:

Hmm can I resist picking up a copy of Civ IV now....

Top Bottom