Best Roman Strategy?

soprismb

Chieftain
What do you guys recommend for Rome? Little things that you hard core players have picked up? I'm trying to beat it on diety all 64 ways and while I like Rome, going at it on economic is challenging unless you get lucky and started next to Pharoah's needle or something.

Rome's big advantage is 1/2 price wonders and early growth (COL). If you want easy econ wins, bust out the Collossus, but more significantly Trade Faire, East India, and Internet--and settle your gold guys (more great people). Tech-wise be the first to research Industrialization and Corporation to get the per city gold bonuses--Railroad gives a +2 production bonus which is nice for a build city. Honestly, if you get the Internet Wonder built you should pull 5000 g's a turn in the modern era.

Like Schongresh said, use the 1/2 cost wonders to your advantage. If I were you, I'd warrior rush or Horseman Rush 1 or 2 close AI's, then start rapid and expansion and busting out wonders. It should be fairly easy to win an economical victory as Rome, as their traits are very good.

Good luck!

I mainly play Rome on Diety/epic/huge worldmaps. But I always go for bronze->Iron to start pumping out Pretorians for a conqeust. Then wheel (connetiong iron if needed and conquest roads)->Pottery->Writing->Alpha = Very valuabe tech tradining. Math->Construction for catapults.

Funny how you never see CivRev posts in the Civ4 forum...

Yeah i was gonna get economic with romas but instead got domination by taking everyone's capital

If you want to play as Rome then I would highly recommend building two warriors for exploration/attacking barbarians at the beginning - and then just settlers in Rome and all your new cities until you can build no more for whatever reason (other civs - no good sights etc.). If you can master this strategy, by 0AD you should have 12 cities and from there get a decent defence up and running - but focus mainly on building temples, cathedrals and most importantly as many wonders as you can - enjoy! P.S. Try not to get rushed - the one weakness of this otherwise great strategy!

If you want to play as Rome then I would highly recommend building two warriors for exploration/attacking barbarians at the beginning - and then just settlers in Rome and all your new cities until you can build no more for whatever reason (other civs - no good sights etc.). If you can master this strategy, by 0AD you should have 12 cities and from there get a decent defence up and running - but focus mainly on building temples, cathedrals and most importantly as many wonders as you can - enjoy! P.S. Try not to get rushed - the one weakness of this otherwise great strategy!

I wrote a strategy and you can find it here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=299782

Saying "build settlers" is not a good idea. You should say also how. That strategy is pretty old but is still good, then you can give it a look. Building temples or cathedrals is not an advice, it's just what you like building I think

Saying "build settlers" is not a good idea. You should say also how. That strategy is pretty old but is still good, then you can give it a look. Building temples or cathedrals is not an advice, it's just what you like building I think[/QUOTE]

OK - to build settlers I highly recommend you go on a City - Units - then click - and here's the really hard part - Settlers :) And as for the temples/cathedrals advice - its a strategy as well as things I like to build as it boosts culture and a culture victory is the strategy I was talking about.

Saying "build settlers" is not a good idea. You should say also how. That strategy is pretty old but is still good, then you can give it a look. Building temples or cathedrals is not an advice, it's just what you like building I think

OK - to build settlers I highly recommend you go on a City - Units - then click - and here's the really hard part - Settlers :) And as for the temples/cathedrals advice - its a strategy as well as things I like to build as it boosts culture and a culture victory is the strategy I was talking about.[/QUOTE]

I played you the other day and used Japan, with the english player that took out the other japanese. You were using romans. However, building settlers is not just click and nothing else. I wrote a new Romans strategy in another forum, and I think I did also in this one, then you can find it. And if you go for a culture victory, you should start with libraries, then if you get key technologies like religion or printing press you are getting +2 culture per city that means like 40 if you got like 20 cities. Then you start building temples after you got a good advantage, but a culture victory is hard to do if you couldn't reach the modern era. Then, then 1/2 price wonders can still help

Oh yh I remember that - I dont think you were called MorteEterna at the time so I didnt recognise you. And yeah I read your strategy a long time ago and found it very helpful - I do very similar to that or try to anyway - never seeem to be able to pull it off though. Me and my friend (the other Japanese person you eluded to) would be appreciative if you were to show us the ways of Rome - thus far I find it hard to use them.

Oh yh I remember that - I dont think you were called MorteEterna at the time so I didnt recognise you. And yeah I read your strategy a long time ago and found it very helpful - I do very similar to that or try to anyway - never seeem to be able to pull it off though. Me and my friend (the other Japanese person you eluded to) would be appreciative if you were to show us the ways of Rome - thus far I find it hard to use them.

That's why I asked you if you got the second or third city, after 8-9 turns.. I usually start expand soon if I don't see rushers, however if you want you can add me to the friend list then when I've got time I will show you

Top Bottom