Q: What is best strategy to begin a game

Delthrox

Chieftain
Hello everyone,

I just bought civ IV and I really could use some strategies when starting a new game. What is best to do when starting a new game?

Thnx

Delthrox

Im not an expert but I think that inhibiting the AI's growth is unversally a good idea. I try to make as many cities as I can in the early going, particularly in a manner that will "section off" other parts of land for later expansion, keeping them from accessing it since My culture bubble blocks them out.

also I somewhat neglect research early on and just aim for expansion - reseach comes easily later when you have more cities, but expanding is much harder.

I also abuse slavery civic to output UUs and workers/ settlers asap.

This is only for Warlord Large map on normal setting; from what I read this type of tactic will get you eaten alive on higher difficulties :p

Im not an expert but I think that inhibiting the AI's growth is unversally a good idea. I try to make as many cities as I can in the early going, particularly in a manner that will "section off" other parts of land for later expansion, keeping them from accessing it since My culture bubble blocks them out.

also I somewhat neglect research early on and just aim for expansion - reseach comes easily later when you have more cities, but expanding is much harder.

I also abuse slavery civic to output UUs and workers/ settlers asap.

This is only for Warlord Large map on normal setting; from what I read this type of tactic will get you eaten alive on higher difficulties :p

He was talking about CIV4 and this forum is for civ revolution

Misposting aside-

I think alot of things depend on what you are wanting to do with your civ.

I think that success depends on how fast you can get your civ going into that direction. Pumping out an army of Horsemen for your Aztecs First thing to take over another capital for example might cut back on your tech research but moves you in that direction. Matter of fact taking another civ's capital early on is never a bad way to go! As always it really depends and I wouldn't expect anyone to write a guide in this post when there are alot already provided in other places!

So my one strat for the early game is getting out a few cities with as many bonus resources as possible then researching those techs to get the bonus early with an Army of Horsemen out looking to kick butt! Get that early settler at 100g also :D

Ok anyway I'm done lol.

Top Bottom