New Cumulative history Quiz VII

EDIT: or possibly "fashion"? As most female rulers, she also had a gigantic wardrobe. Maybe she could be declared somewhat responsible for introducing Western-style clothing into Russian court?

I thought Peter I was the first Russia Czar/Emperor to introduce Western-style garb to the Russian court, including female clothing.

I thought Peter I was the first Russia Czar/Emperor to introduce Western-style garb to the Russian court, including female clothing.
Indeed. That's why I said "somewhat". I imagine Elizaveta was a deal more obsessed about it, but it's a stab in half-dark.

She was also remarkable in that, allegedly, during her rule not a single convict was executed in Russia... could the answer thus be "humanism"?

This was indeed quite a remarkable thing!

EDIT: or possibly "fashion"? As most female rulers, she also had a gigantic wardrobe. Maybe she could be declared somewhat responsible for introducing Western-style clothing into Russian court?

The answer was Western fashion and manners, so I'll give it to you.

Yes, Peter did introduce Western dress, but I think it was Elizabeth who made the gentry really "into" it. I don't know, its just what Riasanovsky said.

Stumbled upon a nice question:
How does one recognize a French friar when in Sicily?

Tell 'em to say a Sicilian word that the Frenchies can't wrap their tongues around. Can't remember what the word was, though.

Tell 'em to say a Sicilian word that the Frenchies can't wrap their tongues around. Can't remember what the word was, though.
That was fast! And here I was worried the question was too vague... :clap:
To the sound of the bells messengers ran through the city calling on the men of Palermo to rise against the oppressor. At once the streets were filled with angry armed men, crying "Death to the French" ('Moranu li Franchiski' in the Sicilian language). Every Frenchman they met was struck down. They poured into the inns frequented by the French and the houses where they dwelt, sparing neither man, woman nor child. Sicilian girls who had married Frenchmen perished with their husbands. The rioters broke into the Dominican and Franciscan convents; and all the foreign friars were dragged out and told to pronounce the word 'ciciri', whose sound the French tongue could never accurately reproduce. Anyone who failed the test was slain....By the next morning some two thousand French men and women lay dead; and the rebels were in complete control of the city.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_Vespers

I suppose for the Chinese it is to be able to pronounce this whole tongue twister accurately:

Four is four
Ten is Ten
Fourteen is Fourteen
Forty is Forty

四是四
十是十
十四是十四
四十是四十

Here is the phonetics if you want it. It should trip Most people who can't get the tone right or even some native Chinese speakers.

Sì shì sì
Shí shì shí
Shí sì shì shí sì
Sì shí shì sì shí

I heard that sentry positions in Europe during the world wars (in both of which the Germans were feared to dress up in British or American uniforms and try to infiltrate bases in that way) they used the call 'War Weapons Week' to which the reply was 'Welmouth' - Germans pronouncing the latter far closer to 'Falmouth'. Apparently these caused problems with Jewish soldiers in the US Army, who had very similar accents to the Germans.

The local test is to understand the distinction between "in" Long Island and "On" Long Island.

That reminds me of Tatham-Warter's* explanation for how he got around the problem of never being able to remember the password - carrying an umbrella. He reasoned that no-one but an Englishman would be foolish enough to carry one in the middle of a battle! At one point an officer recalled seeing him lead a bayonet charge wearing a bowler hat and twirling the umbrella, looking for all the world like Charlie Chaplin :lol:

*A major who commanded "A" company in Frost's 2nd Parachute Battalion at Arnhem Bridge.

That reminds me of Tatham-Warter's* explanation for how he got around the problem of never being able to remember the password - carrying an umbrella. He reasoned that no-one but an Englishman would be foolish enough to carry one in the middle of a battle! At one point an officer recalled seeing him lead a bayonet charge wearing a bowler hat and twirling the umbrella, looking for all the world like Charlie Chaplin :lol:

*A major who commanded "A" company in Frost's 2nd Parachute Battalion at Arnhem Bridge.

I was going to give that one! Tatham-Warter was nothing short of a fantastic military leader - he ended up in command of 2 PARA during that action. Complete nutcase but a shrewd grasp of all things military, absolutely selfless and completely courageous - he once directed his men to put on all of their protective equipment for an attack on a mortar position, and when the Padre asked 'what about you, sir?' said 'don't worry, I've got an umbrella'. Said umbrella disabled a german vehicle when it was thrust through the vision slit with considerable force, hitting the driver square in the eye. He was captured, but escaped and survived - with the award of a DSO - until 1993. Without a doubt, he was one of the finest of the 'old breed' of aristrocratic officers, who, according to one commando (speaking of Lord Lovat) "would, when everyone else was taking cover from enemy fire, walk about totally unconcerned as if they were taking a stroll on their estates".

PS: You'd laugh now, but he was ahead of his time - when on a very small patrol, it's SOP to carry your weapon in a distinctive way (generally above the head or something) to avoid the noise of a challenge.

Since the thread is about to die again, I think it's appropriate to post fairly esoteric question.

I suspect very few non-Finn really knows this, and only few Finns know this. However it's possible to guess this, at least with some trying and hints. The first hint is that this is history related question.

So, this song is the all time most played in Finnish radio:

Link to video.
Why is that?

As a second hint, there's also a musical aspect in this song why it's the most played.

It's got something to do with the war, nothing with Mannerheim. And it indeed was once played in radio everyday.

Was it used as proof that the Finnish government still existed, for the benefit of Finns in exile and submarine commanders? The British have something similar with the Today programme

Top Bottom