Interesting Screenshots

One of these days I should find out how demographics are actually calculated.

Doing some research into it, I think I've figured out the military service one. But first, an even more outrageous screenshot:

I built 7 Warriors while my city was at population 7 (thanks to a tax collector/scientist). When my city grew to size 2, the military service fell to 35 years. I had to disband two Warriors, taking it down to 25, and then my city grew to size 3, the military service fell to 16 years.

So, I believe the formula is:

Military Service = floor((militaryUnits * 10)/cityPopSize)

Where city pop size is the size of your cities in terms of # of citizens (on the map, not the Pop figure in the city screen).

Life Expectancy is at a minimum 20 years. It is also affected by buildings such as granaries, aqueducts, and hospitals (buildings that allow a higher city size or growth rate). If you have Granaries in all your cities, the average is 46 years. When I have one city with population 3 with a granary, and 1 city with population 1 without a granary, I get 40 years, suggesting that the pre-aqueduct formula is something like:

Life Expectancy = (46 * population in city with granary + 20 * population in city without granary)/total population

Note that this doesn't appear to be floored like military service (or I would have had 39 years instead of 40 - in my example it came out to 39.5). I haven't looked into the details of aqueducts' specific effects yet, and also am unsure what affects wonders such as Longevity and Cure for Cancer have.

As for literature, I recall that it actually falls after Education is discovered before any universities are built. The Great Library also has a considerable effect on it. But I don't know the exact formulae.

Edit: The population is the sum of the POP figure in all your cities. IIRC, it's something like:

1: 10,000
2: 30,000
3: 60,000
4: 100,000
5: 150,000
6: 210,000

etc. - each pop adds 10,000 * pop number to the pop. So you could write it as something like:

pop(1) = 10,000
pop(x) = 10,000 * x + pop(x - 1)

I have it written down up to population 23 or so on a piece of paper from circa 2005.

Note that these figures are assuming there are no food stores in the city. If there are, it's in between the bounds above, but I haven't formulated it exactly (in part because the bounds differ for AIs on non-regent difficulties). The overall figure in F11 also seems to get slightly off when the population is around 300,000,000 or so.

I think someone a long time ago figured it out, there might be an article in Strategy and Tips on it. It sounded kind of like what you said.

Don't waste your time on this, Quintillus: Bamspeedy has written a nice summary of all that stuff back in 2002... :smoke:

How the Demographics Works

In multiplayer, the F11 screen (combined with some information from the F3, F4, F6 and F8 screens) allows you to figure out completely, what your opponents are doing during the first 50 turns or so. Including what tiles their citizens are working on and what the city is currently producing... In some PBEM and Democracy games this "art" has been taken to insane levels... :mischief:

pretty sure this has been seen before and it's not a reflection on my managerial skills , but Re-starvation ? Starved not once but twice ??

Attachments

• restarvation.jpg
    restarvation.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 339
Hey, at least it ended!

I am observing the Great Carthagian-Maya-War.

Unfortunatly Hannibals Army (one Longbowman) seems to be caught in an endless loop.

He was landed by the mighty Carthagian Navy (one Trade Ship) and attacked Bonampak. After his victory the redlined Longbowman moved back to Oea, only to be pack into the ship again and moved back to Bonampak. From there he moved back to Oea.

To my surprise the poor and still redlined Longbowman was landed four more times next to Bonampak and limped home each time...

And no, I will not intervene as I am busy fending of a combined French-Roman Invasion by the Byzantine city of Königsburg.

I'm not complaining, but while testing my under-construction-mod, I encountered this, and I don't think I had ever seen it before.
I popped a barb hut and a settler appeared. Is this normal, or did I mess something up with the mod?

^That's pretty normal, actually. I've had that happen to me several times in C3C...I suppose it just carried over to your mod.

I've popped settlers from huts before. It's rare, but not unheard of.

Yes, that's the best kind of start you can have, it happened to me only recently, but unfortunately the map turned out to be rubbish. I often wonder how many times the more obsessive HoF players grind out new starts to try and get all the various RNGs to click together :eek:

^That's pretty normal, actually. I've had that happen to me several times in C3C...I suppose it just carried over to your mod.
Good to hear because it means I didn't mess anything up - even though I changed only a little... but in all these years, I had never seen it.

IIRC, one cannot pop a settler from a hut if you are building a settler in any city. If my exploring scout or warrior is about to pop a hut, I will go thru my cities and switch any that are building a settler to something else. And then remember to switch them back, at the end of my turn ;)

there is an endless need for me to reassert my humbleness , that's why there was this poor attempt at a joke ; but ı am pretty sure that ı could be seriously capable of starving the dead to death .

as for vorlon mi's post above my experience is that ı can't have a settler from a hut if ı have already one , but ı might be wrong considering ı keep to Isengard in LotM where settlers can only be autoproduced .

As I understand it the rule is: To get a settler from a goody hut you must have no settlers of your own and none under construction, and have fewer cities than the game average.

i believe it is not "fewer" but "not more than".
t_x

I have not seen that one: An artillery unit sinks a ship and gives me a leader? :eek:

While this is the third ship these two Fortress Cannons sunk, they can be captured (no defence points) by enemies and they do not even get a promotion!

Top Bottom